modem for diesel heater

Adam Lucas

Carpenter
T6 Pro
Hi All , I already have a Autoterm heater fitted but would now like a modem so I can operate from my phone.
Is there a how to guide to installing (I’ve had a brief look on Y/T but no luck ) and can anyone recommend somewhere to purchase this from ?
Thanks

Hi All , I already have a Autoterm heater fitted but would now like a modem so I can operate from my phone.
Is there a how to guide to installing (I’ve had a brief look on Y/T but no luck ) and can anyone recommend somewhere to purchase this from ?
Thanks
I have a modem unit which I installed along with my Planar unit from new. The instructions were rubbish and the support was worse. I did get it working but it failed to work when I went to use it the second winter it was in. Tried and failed to get any support from the UK importer on warranty and eventually gave up with it.
My advice would be to not bother fitting one. The implementation is very poor and the hassle of keeping a SIM card in it on credit when it gets very little use is a pain.
For sure it was nice to warm the van up from the house or pub on the way back to it but in fact it takes very little time to warm up when you get in anyway.
Just my own view, lots of others may have had no bother at all with theirs.

also here:

1699817515249.png

Reading back on the other thread on this back in 2022 I see that some people got new modems from Autoterm through Facebook. I don't do Facebook and they never responded to my second emails or ever phoned me back when they promised to do so!
I'm still not getting Facebook even if it apparently makes me a second class citizen!

Thanks
What would you like the modem to do? If you just want a way to turn the heater on to preheat the van, then it easy and cheap to do.

I have an autoterm heater on my camper and have fitted a remote gate opener to it. There are two wires on the heater that when connected together will put the heater on. The gate opener is setup to close the contacts for a few seconds when I call it, and pops the heater on for me.

Only downside, there is no way to control the temperature, see fault codes etc etc. it will just put it on full power. For me, it works well. For under £15 I have no complaints.

This is what I bought 2G Wireless Door Access Remote Control GSM Gate Door Opener Relay Switch | eBay

The money goes to 2 Russians who have moved address from Russia to Israel. It is still Russian! I checked through the Latvian govt. Companies records.

I have a modem unit which I installed along with my Planar unit from new. The instructions were rubbish and the support was worse. I did get it working but it failed to work when I went to use it the second winter it was in. Tried and failed to get any support from the UK importer on warranty and eventually gave up with it.
My advice would be to not bother fitting one. The implementation is very poor and the hassle of keeping a SIM card in it on credit when it gets very little use is a pain.
For sure it was nice to warm the van up from the house or pub on the way back to it but in fact it takes very little time to warm up when you get in anyway.
Just my own view, lots of others may have had no bother at all with theirs.
I had exactly the same experience. Mine was working fine last winter, but went to use it this year and got no response from the modem at all. The heater itself still works fine. As you say, keeping the SIM active with credit is a pain for the amount of use it gets. In hindsight I wouldn't bother with the expense again. At some point I'll get around to removing the control panel and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

Autoterm uk have recently started accepting the modems back for a firmware update that makes them work reliably. They say that it was a mobile network problem. All the details of where to send and which modems is effected is on the user group on facebook. the ones they are selling now are sorted.

Having said the above I sent mine back and it appears to of been lost by Royal Mail before arriving with them. I have the comfort controller and that too appears it needs a frmware update. In hindsight getting into a pre warmed warm by means of the modem is nice and it clears th eice off if you leave it on 45mins, but now I wished i'd just opted for the simple cheap control panel and no modem, would of saved a load of money and been more reliable. Autoterm have been nice and supportive so i may be an isolated case

a WIFI option would be preferable these days.

as most people ( some techy people) will have mobile WIFI in the van anyway.

so is there a WIFI solution?, saving the additional SIM cost?

a WIFI option would be preferable these days.

as most people ( some techy people) will have mobile WIFI in the van anyway.

Bluetooth is coming in the new not release yet in uk control panel

Which I suspect will be quite expensive

I was all set to get one of these but didn't when I learned that they were crashing/failing. Still interested now they seem to be fixed, but very much a 'nice to have'/luxury. £129 for the modem plus £30 to £70 ish per year to maintain the sim, yet I can only think that I'd use it in anger maybe once or twice per year. The van is on the drive in the morning so easy enough to walk out to switch the heater on before breakfast if needed. Out on site I'm rarely unable to return to the van to switch it on if needed. Don't think I could justify the cost of that luxury to the boss lady. An inverter to run her hot chocolate maker would be another matter...

I'd like to install remote control through WIFI with both a Webasto and also a Wallas XC Duo. Anyone know what is involved?

There are quite a few of the smart home WiFi switches that can also be powered by DC that might work if you have a simple "switch on for heat" option in a similar fashion to @Dundee_Kev using a garage opener.

Usually based around the ESP32/8266 microcontrollers so shouldn't draw too much power.

Just watch out that a lot of sellers seem to use the term "WiFi" to mean any radio control, not just actual WiFi...

The autoterm has a remote start cable, so that would possibly work. It just starts it to the last used settings. The benefit of the modem is that you can change the settings before firing it up and change timers I think

I got a tracking link from them this morning so hopefully my missing modem will arrive today, i'll report back if its solved the issue

Autoterm uk have recently started accepting the modems back for a firmware update that makes them work reliably. They say that it was a mobile network problem. All the details of where to send and which modems is effected is on the user group on facebook. the ones they are selling now are sorted.

Having said the above I sent mine back and it appears to of been lost by Royal Mail before arriving with them. I have the comfort controller and that too appears it needs a frmware update. In hindsight getting into a pre warmed warm by means of the modem is nice and it clears th eice off if you leave it on 45mins, but now I wished i'd just opted for the simple cheap control panel and no modem, would of saved a load of money and been more reliable. Autoterm have been nice and supportive so i may be an isolated case
Can you post the details on how to do this? I applied to join their Facebook group a couple of days ago, but so far I haven't been accepted, so can't see any details.

Can you post the details on how to do this? I applied to join their Facebook group a couple of days ago, but so far I haven't been accepted, so can't see any details.

The post is below, the warranty address and form is on their website

I sent mine to:

Autoterm
Warranty department,
Unit 11b
Home farm
Wrexham road,
Wrexham,
LL13 OHG

Would recommend ringing them to confirm the above

modem.jpg

Thanks
I had a link to a generic sim receiver that you could use for about £30 and I can’t find the link now. Maybe have a (better than I’ve managed) search of the internet.

Back