Minium radius for t trim

Hi I wonder if someone has any suggestions. I'm about to make the lift up lid for the top-loading fridge in my van. The worktop front edge will have a double lipped t trim, I'm not sure whether to continue the trim into the cutout which would involve an external corner, or stop the trim at the corner and use iron tape for the edges of the cutout. The lid would also require edging and again the corners would need to have a radius. What is the minimum radius trim will safely go around? I've notched the bead in the past but I'm not a big fan of that technique. The problem is that I will end up with two radiused adjacent to each other and I'm not sure what that would look like if the radiuses are large. Hope this makes sense it is difficult to describe I should have got a photo before the light went!

I am assuming you are talking about the edging trim you hammer/push into a groove? Here’s a suggestion that might allow you to have the radius as tight as you like: offer up the trim and mark the start and end of the radius; then cut away the “lip” you push into the groove for that part of the run; when it come to the fitting, glue it at the radius. Just a thought!

Thanks for that. In the end, I just went for it. The trim was much softer than I'm used to and it went round fine, but it does lighten in colour due to the stress. Time will tell if it will pull away. I'll try and post some pictures. Had quite a bit of trouble with the trim catching the Vohringer and lifting the laminate. A light sanding of the edge seemed to help and bend the trim back as it was tapped down. I did use very thin CA glue in some places especially on internal corners. Once again thanks for your interest and advice

Back