Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Shredder

It's a Beast
T6 Guru
Anyone run these on a 20" and got any views ??

Even better if it was on a T32 4Motion and LWB......

Interested in all experiences though

Cheers

I've got these at 19" on my BMW 335d xdrive.
They are superb. No question.
Sticky in the dry, inspire confidence in the wet, nice and quiet and comfy on the motorway and so far wear seems fine. The only downside is the price about £210 per corner!
Note I had run flats on the BM before and they were dreadful. So perhaps I might be looking at these through rose tinted specs.

As great as they are though I wouldn't put these on my camper, I don't chuck it about its only got 150 hp a decent mid range tyre would be my shout when I get my 19" wheels.
The BMW is stupid quick and more torque than a 'tory party conference so high performing tyres are important for me on that car. My priorities for the camper are comfort, economy and correct load rating.
I've not checked if the MPS4s are suitably load rated.

Appreciate the reply Ollie !

The Pilot Sport 4 seems to win pretty much every single review (summer / UHP tyres categories) out there for the last 3 years. So I'm not surprised to hear your glowing review.

They do have my size, 275/40/r20 but on further investigation, it turns out that particular tyre size in the Pilot Sport 4 is specifically a Porsche fitment. So that put me off.

They did direct me to the new Pilot Sport 4 S you refer to, where my size was general availability. It is surprisingly cheaper than the older Pilot Sport 4 for some reason. However, the 4 S was developed as an even more focussed UHP tyre, even promoted as excellent for track days. I decided, it's obviously not going to be what I'm looking for in a summer tyre for the T6

I agree with what @Flashollie said!

Iv'e got MPS on my Porsche which needs sticky, grippy tyres and they are excellent, but that isn't what you want on a van, a harder compound works better and a budget / mid-range tyre will be fine.

I have 19's on my van and originally had Uniroyal Rainsports which I would consider mid-range, I now have a budget tyre which cost half that and gives an equal if not better performance, plus it's quieter and seems to be wearing more evenly.

If your planning on doing laps of the 'ring in your van consider the MPS4's but for use on the road mid range or budget will give more than enough grip and save you a good few ££'s.

Paul

The ps4 and ps4s are 90% the same tyre. Just the S is a tad more focused and only comes in sizes 19" and above.
I run the ps4 on my Prelude in 245/40/17. They replaced my AD08R.

Yes, that extra "focus" of the PS4S is what put me off choosing it for the T6 in the end. However, the research and your responses have been useful as I will put the PS4S on the car when it's due.

I did want a decent tyre as an unloaded 204ps with modified suspension and 20" can carry some decent 'flow' when you come off the motorway. So, I wanted to make sure the tyres wouldn't let me down in any way. Having spent money on the suspension and wheels, I didn't want soggy sidewalls, overly hard compound etc letting me down was my thinking.

I've gone Vredestein in the end ... I guess that's mid-range and its strengths suit the majority of conditions I'm using the van in

@DaveF what parameters (other than slim line looks) and priorities did you base your decision on for these tyres ?? As in, I'd be interested to know your decision criteria....

Last edited:
@DaveF what parameters (other than slim line looks) and priorities did you base your decision on for these tyres ?? As in, I'd be interested to know your decision criteria....

@Shredder I took my advice from Olly at Bognor Motors (and I think it was the right advice). I wanted car-like driving performance and feel, which I definitely have now. Whether that just down to the B14's I'm not sure, but the combo works for me!

@DaveF are your rims 20x9 ?? Are you running B14's at -50mm ?? .... be interested to see any side on pics you may have of your van to see how it sits. Also pics from the back to see if the drop from 275 to 265 makes it less 'chunky' from the rear.

Mine is down at Bognor now for some 'stuff' and I took the opportunity to take out their B14 / H&R anti-roll bar van. Their's is beyond remarkable and mine is already good with -40mm Cobra's on. Ollie said the same to me. If I go the B14 way, I'll need to change down to 265, which would put my tyre research back to the beginning again, as it's not the most popular of sizes with a 40 profile in a 20" with > 103 load rating

@DaveF are your rims 20x9 ?? Are you running B14's at -50mm ?? .... be interested to see any side on pics you may have of your van to see how it sits. Also pics from the back to see if the drop from 275 to 265 makes it less 'chunky' from the rear.

Mine is down at Bognor now for some 'stuff' and I took the opportunity to take out their B14 / H&R anti-roll bar van. Their's is beyond remarkable and mine is already good with -40mm Cobra's on. Ollie said the same to me. If I go the B14 way, I'll need to change down to 265, which would put my tyre research back to the beginning again, as it's not the most popular of sizes with a 40 profile in a 20" with > 103 load rating

@Shredder I think they're 20x8.5. I'm not sure what the drop is, but I'll check and advise. My van was at -30 on 18" wheels and it was pretty good - on B14's, dropped and on 20's it is unbelievable! I'm not really sure what I expected, but the B14's turn a good-driving van into something that defies physics! If you do nothing else, fit B14's. New Wave said not to bother with H&R anti-roll though, as T32 std is stiff enough (I tend to agree)
As I said on the tyres, Bognor recommended them and I chose the Yoko's based on their wet-weather rating. They feel pretty good and they are good in the wet too. In my selection I was going to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s or Yoko's.

I've attached a sort-off side image but I'll post a better one over the weekend. I'm expecting the suspension to settle a little more over the next month or so too.

@DaveF thanks for all the feedback and pic. Yours does sit nice. From the pic the front tyre looks really quite close to the body shell though???

Very interesting and valuable point about the stiffness of the T32 perhaps negating the need for the roll bars in New Wave's opinion. Interestingly, @Insert Coin has the same view about the roll bars not being needed on T32 4Motion.

Your ET is slightly less than my 20x9 although you're running 20x9.5 anyway

If you do manage the time for any more pics and any from the rear showing how the tyre width looks from the back, that would be great :thumbsup:

@DaveF ....... Mmm thanks a lot Dave. Like that a lot. For my taste, that is aesthetically the perfect body shell drop to tyre gap :thumbsup:

I guess at -45mm you've had no wheel arch rub situations with your set-up ?

If they can set mine to about -40mm, the extra weight of 4Motion, LWB, DSG might put the actual drop somewhere between -40mm / -45mm on mine and I could then possibly stick with my 275/40/r20 tyres. I'm still at the ringing around point to gather views on B14's on 4Motions (see the aggro with that in the other thread on that subject) AND whether B14's can be set at their apparent minimum of -40mm drop and still give all the expected B14 benefits on my rig

@DaveF ....... Mmm thanks a lot Dave. Like that a lot. For my taste, that is aesthetically the perfect body shell drop to tyre gap :thumbsup:

I guess at -45mm you've had no wheel arch rub situations with your set-up ?

If they can set mine to about -40mm, the extra weight of 4Motion, LWB, DSG might put the actual drop somewhere between -40mm / -45mm on mine and I could then possibly stick with my 275/40/r20 tyres. I'm still at the ringing around point to gather views on B14's on 4Motions (see the aggro with that in the other thread on that subject) AND whether B14's can be set at their apparent minimum of -40mm drop and still give all the expected B14 benefits on my rig

Thanks - I think its the perfect setup too. No rubbing issues whatsoever. I'm expecting it to settle a little over the next month or so, so there's always the chance it could rub - but I'll take a heat gun to the inner-arch if that's the case.

H&R ARBs work just as well on T32 as well as the lessor weighted models. They are a great upgrade that lighten the steering and further increase the steering feel and driveability - even more car like, and obviously reduce the roll. I run a demo fitted with these, anyone is welcome to come down and test.

With regarding lowering on 275/40 - they will rub, in pretty much all situations on the front unfortunately. We have had to make some serious modifications on Bilsteins on 275/40. 275/35 or 265/40 generally make your life easier without going undersize with the tyre.

We’ve been lowering 4 motions for years now, with no issues at all. We run most of ours slammed as well, all works perfectly. The rear suspension rattle that was about at the start of the year, appears, in my opinion to be a faulty batch of dampers, as they don’t do it now.

H&R ARBs work just as well on T32 as well as the lessor weighted models. They are a great upgrade that lighten the steering and further increase the steering feel and driveability - even more car like, and obviously reduce the roll. I run a demo fitted with these, anyone is welcome to come down and test.

Good point Oli - If I had anything to say about fitting the 20's / B14's is that the steering is now a lot heavier (but still OK). My mate has a 150 T6 and that's on 20's too but only dropped on shorter springs - that drives much lighter than mine.

Back