Market Research -

California 4x4

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I am passionate about campervans having built my own when I lived in the USA as they didn't have anything like I was looking for and I've owned a number of campervans and adventure vehicles in different countries that I have lived and worked in.

As a project, I am developing a website that will capture all of the campervan conversion companies in the UK in one place and then build up more information on each one, including customer reviews.

I have read all of the threads I can find about choosing a campervan conversion company, but to help gather some market research I would welcome your thoughts and experience.

I have captured a database with the details of every campervan conversion company in the UK. There are almost 600 of them.

This is aimed at anyone who has gone out to find a campervan conversion company or attempted to and gone down a different route, like self build or VW California.
  • What process did you go through to try to find a company and what did you find to be most effective?
  • What were the main factors that affected your decision? (eg distance, accreditation, customisable etc)
  • What would you do differently if you started again?
  • What are the most useful features the website could offer to assist with finding a good company?
I have no connection to any business in the campervan industry.

Thank you - time and experience is very much appreciated.

Interesting! Definitely watching this one!

I had trouble with my last conversion company, luckily i cancelled everything before i gave them my money, I sourced another company and it's awaiting Feb next year for my slot. Would love to contribute more info when i get some time to dedicate to this.

Interesting! Definitely watching this one!

I had trouble with my last conversion company, luckily i cancelled everything before i gave them my money, I sourced another company and it's awaiting Feb next year for my slot. Would love to contribute more info when i get some time to dedicate to this.
Thank you. It sounds like you played a good hand. Good luck with your new build. I would very much appreciate your considered thoughts when you have time.

Compare the market .com for Campervans, I like it. Are you wanting peeps to answer those questions?
Yes please, I'm hoping to get some genuine feedback from people.

And, sort of; My aim is the website will provide valuable information to potential buyers and connect customers to providers. It will be focused on trust and will remain independent from any of the conversion companies.

Ha ha Thank you - I like the name. I already own comparethecampervan.com
Well, in fairness comparethecamper.com targets a different market?!!

joking aside, if you will be supplier agnostic, I could be happy to contribute. If you intend to monetise, then some giveback ought to be proposed!

Well, in fairness comparethecamper.com targets a different market?!!

joking aside, if you will be supplier agnostic, I could be happy to contribute. If you intend to monetise, then some giveback ought to be proposed!
Thank you and good question. I should have been clearer; no, it's not purely philanthropic. In the short term I don't intend to monetise it. I retired from the Army this year and don't need the money. I'm looking for something I'm passionate about to focus my energies on. Shortly, the intention is to create podcast interviews with the company founders, video tours of their workshops and independent reviews of their products to lift the skirt on their builds; all to provide a wealth of information to support people in finding a good option to spend their hard earned cash. The challenge is, in order to remain impartial, there will be no financial connection with any of the businesses. I am going to employ people to support me with building the website and creating this media - it'll take too long otherwise. At some point I am going to identify who is getting the most value from the site and look for ways to generate some funds to keep it alive and growing. I'm hoping other campervan enthusiasts might see this as a good thing for the industry but I understand your reservations to provide free information to line someone else' pockets. No pressure to contribute. Have a good one.

Okay, here are my answers:

• What process did you go through to try to find a company and what did you find to be most effective? I spent some time Googling camper conversion companies and visiting their websites, looking at what each company offered, calling some to clarify queries. In normal circumstances I would’ve preferred to visit a show at the NEC as I’ve always found this the most useful way to compare and to talk face to face with sales, and of course the best deals are sometimes available at shows. In the end, one of my neighbours, who have a camper, gave us some more contacts and that was when we found what we were looking for. I also visited a local Camper King dealer after the first lockdown. We weren’t that convinced with the idea of a campervan until I looked at a LWB version and appreciated the extra internal space, also after I saw a driveaway awning and realised how much extra space there could be externally.
  • What were the main factors that affected your decision? (eg distance, accreditation, customisable etc). The deciding factor was that we wanted a better solution to the porta potti toilet and we found it in the rear kitchen design with a hidden fixed cassette toilet. The other factor was that the conversion company could supply the base van at a good discount and with the factory options I wanted, they didn’t want the van paying for in advance, a good selection of customisation and they could deliver the van. They aren’t particularly local at over 50 miles away and that wasn’t a deciding factor. Another factor that was useful/important was the converters give a 3 year warranty on the conversion and VW still acknowledge their warranty.
  • What would you do differently if you started again? This is a difficult one with the benefit of hindsight. I started out not knowing very much about Campervans, other than a friend getting one and taking me to the dealer he got it from. Obviously, all things being equal with this current lockdown, I would visit the show at the NEC.
  • What are the most useful features the website could offer to assist with finding a good company? For me it would be to begin a search for a local dealer, and to search by layout, SWB or LWB.
I hope that’s useful.

Okay, here are my answers:

• What process did you go through to try to find a company and what did you find to be most effective? I spent some time Googling camper conversion companies and visiting their websites, looking at what each company offered, calling some to clarify queries. In normal circumstances I would’ve preferred to visit a show at the NEC as I’ve always found this the most useful way to compare and to talk face to face with sales, and of course the best deals are sometimes available at shows. In the end, one of my neighbours, who have a camper, gave us some more contacts and that was when we found what we were looking for. I also visited a local Camper King dealer after the first lockdown. We weren’t that convinced with the idea of a campervan until I looked at a LWB version and appreciated the extra internal space, also after I saw a driveaway awning and realised how much extra space there could be externally.
  • What were the main factors that affected your decision? (eg distance, accreditation, customisable etc). The deciding factor was that we wanted a better solution to the porta potti toilet and we found it in the rear kitchen design with a hidden fixed cassette toilet. The other factor was that the conversion company could supply the base van at a good discount and with the factory options I wanted, they didn’t want the van paying for in advance, a good selection of customisation and they could deliver the van. They aren’t particularly local at over 50 miles away and that wasn’t a deciding factor. Another factor that was useful/important was the converters give a 3 year warranty on the conversion and VW still acknowledge their warranty.
  • What would you do differently if you started again? This is a difficult one with the benefit of hindsight. I started out not knowing very much about Campervans, other than a friend getting one and taking me to the dealer he got it from. Obviously, all things being equal with this current lockdown, I would visit the show at the NEC.
  • What are the most useful features the website could offer to assist with finding a good company? For me it would be to begin a search for a local dealer, and to search by layout, SWB or LWB.
I hope that’s useful.
Thank you @RayF. That's really helpful. I hope your new bespoke campervan experience works out really well for you.

Thank you and good question. I should have been clearer; no, it's not purely philanthropic. In the short term I don't intend to monetise it. I retired from the Army this year and don't need the money. I'm looking for something I'm passionate about to focus my energies on. Shortly, the intention is to create podcast interviews with the company founders, video tours of their workshops and independent reviews of their products to lift the skirt on their builds; all to provide a wealth of information to support people in finding a good option to spend their hard earned cash. The challenge is, in order to remain impartial, there will be no financial connection with any of the businesses. I am going to employ people to support me with building the website and creating this media - it'll take too long otherwise. At some point I am going to identify who is getting the most value from the site and look for ways to generate some funds to keep it alive and growing. I'm hoping other campervan enthusiasts might see this as a good thing for the industry but I understand your reservations to provide free information to line someone else' pockets. No pressure to contribute. Have a good one.
Thank you for clarifying! I remain happy to contribute to your research and thinking.
There are trade bodies in this forum who actively engage with members. And, “actively” includes contributing to discussions, providing advice and guidance free of charge, entering into dialogue. Yes, they also benefit from such engagement. They also offer some forum discounts, early visibility of forthcoming offers.
Then, within the forum itself is a massive font of knowledge and expertise! Proper, real expertise. The sort of expertise that can equip members with information and data that can ease/solution conversations with dealers and VW themselves.

Are you brave enough to harness all that body of knowledge....even as a sign posting service?!! I would like to understand your thinking

Thank you for clarifying! I remain happy to contribute to your research and thinking.
There are trade bodies in this forum who actively engage with members. And, “actively” includes contributing to discussions, providing advice and guidance free of charge, entering into dialogue. Yes, they also benefit from such engagement. They also offer some forum discounts, early visibility of forthcoming offers.
Then, within the forum itself is a massive font of knowledge and expertise! Proper, real expertise. The sort of expertise that can equip members with information and data that can ease/solution conversations with dealers and VW themselves.

Are you brave enough to harness all that body of knowledge....even as a sign posting service?!! I would like to understand your thinking
Thanks @JOG I'm not sure I fully get what you're saying. Are you suggesting becoming a trade partner with the T6 Forum?

As for sharing my thinking, I'm very happy to do that. I didn't want to splurge it all in my initial post.

Thanks @JOG I'm not sure I fully get what you're saying. Are you suggesting becoming a trade partner with the T6 Forum?

As for sharing my thinking, I'm very happy to do that. I didn't want to splurge it all in my initial post.
No, I am saying that you are tapping into a rich seam here! And trade members who could advise and guide

No, I am saying that you are tapping into a rich seam here! And trade members who could advise and guide
Haha Good. I was hoping so. The least I can do is support the site by becoming a VIP. I'll get on it after dinner :)

Reactions: Jlo
The one thing I’ve noticed, scouring around the websites of the various conversion companies, is the inconsistency of information provided by certain converters. When I was searching one of the main pieces of info I wanted was the types of layouts and the prices, and some just don’t have that info and hence I passed them over. We ordered ours from Bodans and would happily hold up their website as an exemplary campervan site. All the info you want, and some you might not know you want is there.

The one thing I’ve noticed, scouring around the websites of the various conversion companies, is the inconsistency of information provided by certain converters. When I was searching one of the main pieces of info I wanted was the types of layouts and the prices, and some just don’t have that info and hence I passed them over. We ordered ours from Bodans and would happily hold up their website as an exemplary campervan site. All the info you want, and some you might not know you want is there.
Thank you, that’s helpful. My intention is to create filters on the search page that would support someone in your position. On the Company page on the website, they will be encouraged to check boxes to say what they are able to do, for example, a rear galley layout or a fixed high top. That way, a user could select a number of filters like: less than 100 miles from post code, LWB, high top, rear galley, leather interior, finance options, and have the website return the most relevant conversion companies. I have Bodans in my database and agreed, they have a very good website. It sounds like you went for one of their Clee Range. Were they able to customise the design to suit you?

Thank you, that’s helpful. My intention is to create filters on the search page that would support someone in your position. On the Company page on the website, they will be encouraged to check boxes to say what they are able to do, for example, a rear galley layout or a fixed high top. That way, a user could select a number of filters like: less than 100 miles from post code, LWB, high top, rear galley, leather interior, finance options, and have the website return the most relevant conversion companies. I have Bodans in my database and agreed, they have a very good website. It sounds like you went for one of their Clee Range. Were they able to customise the design to suit you?
The Clee conversion, including the Haughmond and Lythwood ranges are for Van that are already built and either sourced by Bodans or provided by the customer. My conversion is the Crantock and, with the Pentire and Treago fitouts, are for brand new factory orders sourced by Bodans. Just thought I’d clarify that. I was able to pick the model, engine and options I wanted.

There is a good deal of customisation available all based around the set layout. As you will see on their website, there is a plethora of unit colours and combinations to choose from, and the upholstery options, if one wants to pay for the leather option, are endless. If you look at the gallery page you’ll see many designs customer chose from the upholsterers. They will entertain using some things that are not necessarily on the site. For instance, I want to have a gas free van and they can supply and fit a diesel hob/heater instead of the gas hob and Eberspacher heater. However, when I asked if they’d fit a solar panel I supplied them they said they could for warranty reasons. On the other hand they‘ve offered to fit wheels and other trims I will supply if I pay the labour to fit them, which is fair enough. They will also deliver the van to me when it’s ready.

The Clee conversion, including the Haughmond and Lythwood ranges are for Van that are already built and either sourced by Bodans or provided by the customer. My conversion is the Crantock and, with the Pentire and Treago fitouts, are for brand new factory orders sourced by Bodans. Just thought I’d clarify that. I was able to pick the model, engine and options I wanted.

There is a good deal of customisation available all based around the set layout. As you will see on their website, there is a plethora of unit colours and combinations to choose from, and the upholstery options, if one wants to pay for the leather option, are endless. If you look at the gallery page you’ll see many designs customer chose from the upholsterers. They will entertain using some things that are not necessarily on the site. For instance, I want to have a gas free van and they can supply and fit a diesel hob/heater instead of the gas hob and Eberspacher heater. However, when I asked if they’d fit a solar panel I supplied them they said they could for warranty reasons. On the other hand they‘ve offered to fit wheels and other trims I will supply if I pay the labour to fit them, which is fair enough. They will also deliver the van to me when it’s ready.
how is your new van?

Back