LPG TSi Conversion

rover220

VCDS User
T6 Guru
Hi chaps .My boss is considering buying a petrol t6 and is keen on considering lpg. Does anyone know if it's possible or anyone that could carry out the job.

I have had a few air-cooled converted here. He also doing my Underslung tank for my T6 camper. One of the few that know's VW inside out, no idea if he thought about the T6.

Give Steve a call he soon let you know what is what. Gasure.UK

Kev

I have had a few air-cooled converted here. He also doing my Underslung tank for my T6 camper. One of the few that know's VW inside out, no idea if he thought about the T6.

Kev

I’d rather go to a Certificated Gas Installer that I know in my area........ there are lots of people that know VW’s inside out ...... We would all go to who we know if we have any sense and trust, just saying

Each to their own :) Me, I would rater find the best and travel. That's why I travelled form Edinburgh - Wales to get mine fitted / serviced every year.

There may be loads that know VW's inside out, but my context was LPG. Done a fair bit of research in UK & Poland and garages that install LPG in to VW's day in day out few and far between.

Not on commission o_O Just been running on LPG for years and loving the cost savings.

Kev

Mine’s due late Sept too, the wait is ridiculous, but hopefully worth it. I’ve checked all the LPG out, there’s several manufacturers who do LPG kits for the CJKA engine, which apparently run well with a remap too. Prins seems to be best, but about £1800, but that cost will easily be recouped after about a year for me. No brainer, better in every way than diesel for what I want (quick, economical, great sound, cleaner on the environment, and most of all, no flipping EGR/DPF crap to worry about.)
I’ll keep you posted, but the two LPG companies I approached were fine about the conversion, quite standard apparently.

Kev
Hi Kev, have Gasure gone under? Web link doesn’t work. Do you have contact details? Cheers.

Mine’s due late Sept too, the wait is ridiculous, but hopefully worth it. I’ve checked all the LPG out, there’s several manufacturers who do LPG kits for the CJKA engine, which apparently run well with a remap too. Prins seems to be best, but about £1800, but that cost will easily be recouped after about a year for me. No brainer, better in every way than diesel for what I want (quick, economical, great sound, cleaner on the environment, and most of all, no flipping EGR/DPF crap to worry about.)
I’ll keep you posted, but the two LPG companies I approached were fine about the conversion, quite standard apparently.
What is the VW warranty situation when having this conversion done on such a new van?
And who are Prins?
Thanks.

Some garages are happy with it, some not. Best thing is to discuss up front. Prins install factory VW LPG kits on the continent, so they’re VW recognised.
Here’s the kits I’ll go for.
VSI system

Time to resurrect this thread - has anyone had this done yet, and if so details please?

I have started making enquiries with a number of converters on the possibilities, but only 2 have replied so far, and they wanted the registration/engine code before they can answer.

An update:
After several installers replied that there was no kit available for the T6 CJKA TSi engine, I approached Prins themselves who put me in touch with an installer in Huddersfield. As that is only 20 mins away from Exploria, who I was visiting today, I drove round on the way home for a discussion. Here are some of the salient points:

1. Warranty - my van is only a few months old, so I have plenty of warranty left. I was informed that although the dealer might jump up and down and claim that the warrranty is invalidated becausee of an LPG conversion, they can only really object if they can prove that any failure was directly caused by the LPG system. So they can’t refuse to repair a broken gearbox on the grounds that LPG was fitted. The installer/Prins won’t take on any part of the warranty that may be affected, other than they do warrant their equipment. So if a failure occurs that “may” be caused by LPG, say burnt valves, things may get a bit tricky. I am going to speak to my dealer in Preston to try and get their general agreement.

2. Tank - one of the biggest practical issues with fitting LPG is the size and location of the tank. I had hoped for underbody tanks, thinking that as I don’t have any water tanks etc. underneath there should be room. However, I have been warned that such tanks may not be very big (though several can be connected together) whereas one that replaces the spare wheel is about 90 litres. I definitely don’t want to lose any space inside the van, so I may have to accept the loss or an alternative mounting of the spare. As for the filling nozzle, I’m hoping that it can utilise the vacant Adblue filler space below the petrol cap.

3. Cost - not as cheap as I hoped. I was told it would be about £2300 + VAT, which is about the VAT more than I was expecting. I suspect that if I start requesting multiple fuel tanks then it will get more expensive.

4. Mapping - not that I find the exising 204 bhp lacking in any way, but it is always on the cards that I will get my van mapped at some point. Apparently, this may be problematic with LPG. The Prins kit is tailored to each specific engine model, and if that engine starts behaving outside its normal parameters, then the LPG brain may have a fit. It may be fine, or it may just limit the available increase. Hopefully this would be a challenge that Pendle (just up the road from me) will relish!

5. Time - at the point of ordering, a deposit of £800 or so is paid to order the kit from Holland. This will take about 4-6 weeks to arrive. The installer would then want the van for about 7 to 8 days - though he admitted that he likes to drive the vehicles around for a few days post conversion to make sure that they are running correctly, which is included in that time.

6. Prins - they are apparently based in Holland and one of the biggest LPG conversion firms out there operating throughout Europe. New: Prins Dual Injection technology

So there you have it. I may have mis-understood any of the above, so don’t take me to task if I’ve got anything wrong, but please feel free to comment/correct me. However, that is my current understanding, and I will be speaking to my dealer and then hopefully getting an order for the Prins LPG conversion in early next year.

An update:
After several installers replied that there was no kit available for the T6 CJKA TSi engine, I approached Prins themselves who put me in touch with an installer in Huddersfield. As that is only 20 mins away from Exploria, who I was visiting today, I drove round on the way home for a discussion. Here are some of the salient points:

1. Warranty - my van is only a few months old, so I have plenty of warranty left. I was informed that although the dealer might jump up and down and claim that the warrranty is invalidated becausee of an LPG conversion, they can only really object if they can prove that any failure was directly caused by the LPG system. So they can’t refuse to repair a broken gearbox on the grounds that LPG was fitted. The installer/Prins won’t take on any part of the warranty that may be affected, other than they do warrant their equipment. So if a failure occurs that “may” be caused by LPG, say burnt valves, things may get a bit tricky. I am going to speak to my dealer in Preston to try and get their general agreement.

2. Tank - one of the biggest practical issues with fitting LPG is the size and location of the tank. I had hoped for underbody tanks, thinking that as I don’t have any water tanks etc. underneath there should be room. However, I have been warned that such tanks may not be very big (though several can be connected together) whereas one that replaces the spare wheel is about 90 litres. I definitely don’t want to lose any space inside the van, so I may have to accept the loss or an alternative mounting of the spare. As for the filling nozzle, I’m hoping that it can utilise the vacant Adblue filler space below the petrol cap.

3. Cost - not as cheap as I hoped. I was told it would be about £2300 + VAT, which is about the VAT more than I was expecting. I suspect that if I start requesting multiple fuel tanks then it will get more expensive.

4. Mapping - not that I find the exising 204 bhp lacking in any way, but it is always on the cards that I will get my van mapped at some point. Apparently, this may be problematic with LPG. The Prins kit is tailored to each specific engine model, and if that engine starts behaving outside its normal parameters, then the LPG brain may have a fit. It may be fine, or it may just limit the available increase. Hopefully this would be a challenge that Pendle (just up the road from me) will relish!

5. Time - at the point of ordering, a deposit of £800 or so is paid to order the kit from Holland. This will take about 4-6 weeks to arrive. The installer would then want the van for about 7 to 8 days - though he admitted that he likes to drive the vehicles around for a few days post conversion to make sure that they are running correctly, which is included in that time.

6. Prins - they are apparently based in Holland and one of the biggest LPG conversion firms out there operating throughout Europe. New: Prins Dual Injection technology

So there you have it. I may have mis-understood any of the above, so don’t take me to task if I’ve got anything wrong, but please feel free to comment/correct me. However, that is my current understanding, and I will be speaking to my dealer and then hopefully getting an order for the Prins LPG conversion in early next year.

What would be smart would be if you could buy and use an Ad-Blue tank for petrol, and then have them mount their tank where your old 70L (petrol) tank would have been.

What would be smart would be if you could buy and use an Ad-Blue tank for petrol, and then have them mount their tank where your old 70L (petrol) tank would have been.
Good idea, but I’m not sure I would like to trust my mobility to the relatively few litres (?) that an Ad-blue tank holds. There have been a couple of occasions in Scotland when I have struggled to find petrol/diesel let alone LPG!
Oh, and I believe the petrol tank is always 80L.
Actually, LPG on the TSi engine uses up to 5% petrol with the LPG, so it would be eating into the petrol reserves all the time.

Back