Lowering without the ride being too hard

Richard Etches

Hi All,
I'm looking at lowering without hardening the ride too much - I was thinking of H & R lowering springs (40mm) Keeping the standard shocks and installing an anti roll bar. Van will also be fitted with 18" wheels and new tires - would this work or does anyone have any other suggestions???? Thanks All

Hi,

personally I’d stay away from springs alone. I had 55mm drop and it was ok, not terrible. I would look at the plenty of coilover kits that are available. It’s easier and cheaper to just do it once in my opinion.

What is your budget? That’s the deciding factor for most. I went from springs, to coilovers to something totally different. Not that I didn’t like the coilovers they were lush at full height just not what I wanted.

I would 100% recommend the ARB!! One of the best modifications I've done to date.

Hi All,
I'm looking at lowering without hardening the ride too much - I was thinking of H & R lowering springs (40mm) Keeping the standard shocks and installing an anti roll bar. Van will also be fitted with 18" wheels and new tires - would this work or does anyone have any other suggestions???? Thanks All
Standard shocks don't work too well with lowering springs. You're better off fitting upgraded shocks and springs if you're only looking for a 40mm drop. I assume you are considering the anti roll bars to reduce body roll when cornering?

I would recommend a good shock upgrade plus the 40mm lowering springs. This will improve handling and ride whilst maintaining comfort and will work very well with 18s. You can always add the ARBs in to the mix if you want to reduce body roll in corners even further, but may find that the shock and spring upgrade are enough for your tastes.

Have a chat with steve @CRS Performance and he'll be able to cater well for exactly your needs.

Ok Thanks . . . Looks like I'll go for shocks and springs and an ARB unless you have any other suggestions?
No major restrictions on budget apart from the wife!

Cheers:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi,

personally I’d stay away from springs alone. I had 55mm drop and it was ok, not terrible. I would look at the plenty of coilover kits that are available. It’s easier and cheaper to just do it once in my opinion.

What is your budget? That’s the deciding factor for most. I went from springs, to coilovers to something totally different. Not that I didn’t like the coilovers they were lush at full height just not what I wanted.

I would 100% recommend the ARB!! One of the best modifications I've done to date.

Standard shocks don't work too well with lowering springs. You're better off fitting upgraded shocks and springs if you're only looking for a 40mm drop. I assume you are considering the anti roll bars to reduce body roll when cornering?

I would recommend a good shock upgrade plus the 40mm lowering springs. This will improve handling and ride whilst maintaining comfort and will work very well with 18s. You can always add the ARBs in to the mix if you want to reduce body roll in corners even further, but may find that the shock and spring upgrade are enough for your tastes.

Have a chat with steve @CRS Performance and he'll be able to cater well for exactly your needs.

I've just sent Steve a message thanks - looking forward to his response. Thanks for the feedback. First time conversion so appreciate it :thumbsup:

Ok Thanks . . . Looks like I'll go for shocks and springs and an ARB unless you have any other suggestions?

Hi all....We started on 18’s with 30mm springs and stock shocks...but soon changed to Koni‘s dampers from @CRS Performance ...after discussion ( I’ve a T32 ) wouldn’t gain much changing ARB.....much better drive :thumbsup:

Hi All,
Hi @Richard Etches, I totally agree with both @Jayjmac and @ChrisR.... you’ll need some upgraded shocks if you go with the lowering springs.... I’m on 40mm H&R springs with standard shocks at the minute and it’s not great! I’ve already been in touch with Steve @CRS Performance for the shock upgrade.... he’s the expert, but is waiting on supply of the shocks. :thumbsup:

IMG_1371.JPG

Looking for advice please. Want to lower about 40mm(please note this picture was taken when the wheels had just been put on). Needs to be comfortable first and foremost. Still use the very back for tools.

Hi All,

If its a T32 its a waste of time and money changing the ARB as they already have the thicker ARB

Suspension comfort is down to the individual - Plenty of options out there for you. We would always recommend a coilover kit, which has been designed to work as one, and you can preset the height.

For vans up to T30 we recommend ST X coilovers - Which is made by KW, this can lower from 30-60mm

For T32 we recommend Bilstein B14 Komforts - Which lower from 40 -70 (Although sit lower)

If you want to retain your VW factory warranty then its the Eibach Pro Street - Similar lowering to the ST X but more expensive - However whatever kit you get will come with its own warranty anyway.

There are plenty of decent suspension kits out there to choose from - Get some feedback and try and have a drive to decide what suits you best. Wheels - 18's will alway give a better ride than 19's, which will give a better ride than 20's on the same suspension, due to the larger sidewall - If that makes sense.

There are a lot of kits out there that go up in price from the ones above, all with their own advantages, that some people might not even feel, however for example KW manufacture a specific Street Comfort Kit, adjust from 25-40mm - We have a set going on a vehicle this week, our first one we are fitting, so will report back accordingly.

Good luck with your search - If you want to demo any of the kits mentioned above we run a demo van for each.

HTH

If its a T32 its a waste of time and money changing the ARB as they already have the thicker ARB

Although its thicker the H&R is still an upgrade and does improve the handling and body roll, over the standard ARB.

Last edited:
Not sure how noticeable it would be as its only 2mm diameter difference... but it would be nice to drive two identical set ups one with the t32 arb and one with the H&R for comparison... maybe only to the acutely tuned in driver would a difference be noticeable.:thumbsup:

Its not just about the diameter, but the construction as well. Trust me its still a decent upgrade over standard

Its not just about the diameter, but the construction as well. Trust me its still a decent upgrade over standard
I can vouch for it.. mine is a T32 and it leant into corners. The difference is as they say “night and day” it’s up there with one of my top mods by a mile. Totally transformed the van round corners and just the general driving. @BognorMotors forgot to tag you in original post. :rolleyes:

@CRS Performance will Be able to help you out more than enough and doesn’t look like they are to far away from you. Also have a chat with @BognorMotors also very helpful and will sort you out.

those KONI everyone is talking about are meant to be great. Heard nothing but good things about them on here.

Hi Richard, I agree with Jayjmac and for me my set up is spot on! 2019 T32 with H & R 40mm lower springs on original shocks and the best part is the H & R anti roll bars no swaying diving about give a positive feel in bends.

Hi All,
I wouldnt recommend that set up at all . The ARB s are almost as expensive as the proper sport shocks which transform the ride .

Lowering springs dont help comfort ( looks better ) ARB dont help comfort but the big problem is the total increase in additional spring rate , combination of stiffer lowering springs and increased spring rate from the ARB , this will give a pogo effect if you turn corners and hit bumps because the standard shock cant cope

Rather buy our KONI sport shocks and H&R lowering springs the results are brilliant

Back