Losing coolant [Resolved]

mommabear

Account Closed
T6 Pro
Ok
Friend of mine lost all his coolant (well, went from max to minimum in a 50 mile journey) , scary temp light came on, got recovered to garage.
Im 400 miles away - I can't get to him to look at it.
Ruled out
head gasket
EGR
Multiple other things
They Think it was the seal on the coolant tank - replaced the coolant tank - no light, no fluid loss -all great.

Today - lights back and the fluids gone.

either
a) There is something they didn't check
b) An elf is stealing the fluid.

anyone had this issue?

Ok
Friend of mine lost all his coolant (well, went from max to minimum in a 50 mile journey) , scary temp light came on, got recovered to garage.
Ruled out
head gasket
EGR
Multiple other things
They Think it was the seal on the coolant tank - replaced the coolant tank - no light, no fluid loss -all great.

Today - lights back and the fluids gone.

either
a) There is something they didn't check
b) An elf is stealing the fluid.

anyone had this issue?
You don’t mention which engine variant it is but it could be the water pump seal leaking with the engine running, maybe dripping below the cambelt cover via the tell-tale port.
Other than the obvious external leaks there’s alway the possibility of the oil coolers, check engine oil level and for emulsification, that said if you lost that much water to the engine oil I think the engine would be cooked. If DSG the gearbox has it’s own oil cooler.
Possibly the charge air cooler if it has one but unlikely.
You say you’ve eliminated the EGR cooler and cylinder head gasket.

well I've not done anything to be fair- was just looking for a little idea - it in a garage now where he lives being looked at again. Thanks guys for all your tips

ah yeah - the old dyslexia strikes again!!!
Seriously - dyslexia has proven to be hilarious over the years - I was arguing with my friend about Gary Oldman once because he can't tell the difference between Gary Oldman and Gary Newman - when he typed it into his google search bar (at work I should add) he forgot to put the 'r' in Gary..... imagine explaining that to I.T in his office !

Seriously - dyslexia has proven to be hilarious over the years - I was arguing with my friend about Gary Oldman once because he can't tell the difference between Gary Oldman and Gary Newman - when he typed it into his google search bar (at work I should add) he forgot to put the 'r' in Gary..... imagine explaining that to I.T in his office !
I knew a dyslexic bloke who was into the occult, he sold his soul to Santa....

As long as he knew not to let Gary Glitter babysit, that's all that matters!

reminds me of a Mighty boosh clip.

Naboo: "Never mess with the Occult"
Vince: "I thought it was good for you?"
Naboo: "Thats Yakult you Berk"

my thinking would be to pressure test the cooling circuit on a cold and hot engine.

if its loosing pressure . . . there is a leak.

the next challenge is to find the leak . . . not easy if its just a drip. - but its leaking somewhere right,

head gasket - its either being ingested into a cylinder an being burnt (look for while steam at exhaust, but a small leak wont show)

- its getting into the oil circuit, look for water at at the bottom of the sump and a raised oil level.

- its getting into the inlet ( EGR cooler is common for this)

- its getting into the exhaust.

Hi Dell

Yes its the head gasket - they did a pressure test and managed to get total lock - cant even start the van now
Ah well, its one of those things...with no symptoms there's no way anyone could have known

Hydrolocked - I’m sure the garage knows what they are doing but trying to crank it if it’s hydrolocked will lead to a huge bill. Take the plugs out then crank it so the water can escape out the top.

Ruled out
head gasket
They were a bit premature ruling out the head gasket when they had no other obvious causes.

Reactions: DXX
They were a bit premature ruling out the head gasket when they had no other obvious causes.
Exactly my point! Turns out they had just done a "sniff test".... god alive.... the old sniff test.... and replaced the coolant tank.
Im not getting involved, but man it would be the first thing I checked.
There were no symptoms of head gasket at all which I thought was a bit weird, but looking back, I did have this on a Subaru once.
Anyway - they're on with fixing it now so he's happy.

I have this exact problem. Engine coolant was dropping every month and creamy under oil cap. Took it to a mechanic and they replaced the oil cooler and seal between the oil and coolant? I thought that was it sorted as its been about 3 months with no problems and no drop in coolant. Looked last Friday and it's down to the minimum line and creamy under the oil cap again. So it seemed to have helped but hasn't solved the problem.

I am planning on going away in my van for 6 days easter weekend and my mechanics can't see me until next Friday the day after I get back. Will it be OK to drive it about for 6 days as long as I keep the engine coolant topped up? How much damage am I doing?

I have this exact problem. Engine coolant was dropping every month and creamy under oil cap. Took it to a mechanic and they replaced the oil cooler and seal between the oil and coolant? I thought that was it sorted as its been about 3 months with no problems and no drop in coolant. Looked last Friday and it's down to the minimum line and creamy under the oil cap again. So it seemed to have helped but hasn't solved the problem.

I am planning on going away in my van for 6 days easter weekend and my mechanics can't see me until next Friday the day after I get back. Will it be OK to drive it about for 6 days as long as I keep the engine coolant topped up? How much damage am I doing?
Hi sampson. I have the same issue. What is the progress now? Thanks from Norway

Hi sampson. I have the same issue. What is the progress now? Thanks from Norway
Had the EGR cooler replaced and fixed the problem completely. Luckily I complained to the garage I bought it from and they paid for it which was lucky.

As for the 'creamy' stuff under the oil filler cap apparently that is just condensation buildup from where the oil filler tube is so long in the t6's water condenses at the cap. If you actually do a dipstick test I didn't find any white stuff actually in the oil. Anyone who knows more on this say or correct me.

Hope this helps in anyway!

Back