Looking to buy a cheap t6 2018-onwards but cann't find any bargains at all

xop32

T6 Pro
Does anyone want to sell the t6 to me cheap??

I don't mind anything that needs a bit or work, or tlc

i used to be able to pick up a bargain on the auctions sites quite regularly (eBay, bca or Manheim) but over the past 3-4 months the stock to try to buy is the lowest i have ever seen it

the prices on bca seem to be eye wateringly expensive and Manheim are not much better

people on eBay are now just unrealistic thinking prices are always going to go up thinking vans of $15k are worth over £20k

on watching the auctions recently i am seeing alot of 30k-40k stock cars all fetching 2-3k under the gap prices which is a good sign prices are going to drop soon

there will soon be a big price correction where alot of the 2018-2021 vans will drop 20% - 30% off the value

i used to be able to pick up a bargain on the auctions sites quite regularly (eBay, bca or Manheim) but over the past 3-4 months the stock to try to buy is the lowest i have ever seen it

the prices on bca seem to be eye wateringly expensive and Manheim are not much better

people on eBay are now just unrealistic thinking prices are always going to go up thinking vans of $15k are worth over £20k

on watching the auctions recently i am seeing alot of 30k-40k stock cars all fetching 2-3k under the gap prices which is a good sign prices are going to drop soon

there will soon be a big price correction where alot of the 2018-2021 vans will drop 20% - 30% off the value
Until the lead time on new vans drops from +12 months to 3-6 months, second hand prices will stay high. Don’t hold your breath. Manufacturers have realised that they can sell half the vehicles for the same money. And it’s not just vehicles, it’s consumer goods in general.
Good luck.

Not sure I agree with your prediction of 20% to 30%!
Remember nobody will be able to buy a new petrol or diesel soon and the waiting list for VW vans is long.
We are all sitting on future classics

You say stock to buy is the lowest you've ever seen, yet you're predicting an imminent and significant market correction - these two statements appear to be contradictory.

The market will slacken if the worst economic predictions come true, but a 20-30% correction would require a mass exodus from the van market and I don't see where that exodus will come from. Business users and daily drivers will still need vans, which leaves those for whom their van is a lifestyle vehicle (e.g. a camper) - of this group, a significant proportion will be retired (i.e. least impacted by job insecurity) and/or mortgage-free (i.e. least affected by rising mortgage rates).

As for eBay prices - presumably you've been tracking the van sales on eBay? If they're sticking, make them an offer, but if they're not sticking, that suggests it's you that's being unrealistic.

Given your comment about regularly buying vehicles at auction, makes me think that you are looking to buy to make a profit. If you do manage to buy one cheap, will those savings be reflected in your sale price?

I’m just gobsmacked at how much people advertise T6 vans for

I bought my ex demo kombi highline with factory options nearly 5 years ago and it’s depreciation appears to be very little. Think I’ll be selling next year so I guess I’ll wait and see

Reactions: JOG
People are just asking for the price they think they can get - I'd be gobsmacked if they asked for any less.

I think what you're actually gobsmacked at is how much people are prepared to pay, but the reason for that is demonstrated in the OP's post - he wants to pay less, but can't find anyone to sell him a van for less.

Last edited:

I bought my ex demo kombi highline with factory options nearly 5 years ago and it’s depreciation appears to be very little. Think I’ll be selling next year so I guess I’ll wait and see
I’m just gobsmacked people can’t appreciate ‘market forces’.
Yes, my van has gone up in value since I bought it but I can fully understand why. Perceived lack of holiday options due to global pandemics, conflict and a weak pound. People re-evaluating what is important to them. Potentially harder to buy these vans due to ICE powered vehicles being phased out. A current reduction in output from the factory/long order times showing demand is still strong. Lifestyle vloggers showing off ‘van life’… it all has an impact.

If someone buys a van worth £15k for £20k then they won't then sell it for a huge loss, keeping the prices higher.

The inflated prices aren't going away. Supply and demand is also a thing.

Long gone are the T5.1s for £6k and T6 for £10k.

Will they come back? That's total guess work.

Really!! Maybe I better sell my T6 68 plate campervan with 14,700 miles now then; although I'm probably looking for around £32K

Not just vans, I bought a Kawasak1 Z1000 approx. 8 years ago for £5100, sold it 3 years later for the same price, looked on ebay earlier on this year and the same model of bike was still selling around the £5k mark.
The semi-conductor shortage across the automotive industry is still holding things up massively.
JLR are struggling to get supply as they are at the bottom of the food chain, our production schedules have dropped massively as JLR are reducing their shifts from 3 down to 1 across a lot of plants and they have stopped building some platforms all together, with other plants shutting down for weeks on end.

Not just vans, I bought a Kawasak1 Z1000 approx. 8 years ago for £5100, sold it 3 years later for the same price, looked on ebay earlier on this year and the same model of bike was still selling around the £5k mark.
The semi-conductor shortage across the automotive industry is still holding things up massively.
JLR are struggling to get supply as they are at the bottom of the food chain, our production schedules have dropped massively as JLR are reducing their shifts from 3 down to 1 across a lot of plants and they have stopped building some platforms all together, with other plants shutting down for weeks on end.
All we need now is for China to make a move on Taiwan and then we might as well all shut up shop :(

I'm sure that manufactures have figured out that they can make just as much money by building half the amount of vehicles and selling them at a higher price. Putting less recourses into manufacturing leaves more cash to spend on the development of ICE alternatives.

Yeah, Honda 125s with 6k miles are more than list price as there are waits of 5 months from order for some models.
Not as heady as the T6.1 16 months or whatever it is!

All we need now is for China to make a move on Taiwan and then we might as well all shut up shop :(
Funnily enough, during the first wave of lock downs, when a lot of car manufacturers stopped production, the likes of apple, Samsung and the big tech companies bought up the majority of the semi conductors and the biggest manufacturer of semi conductors were based in Taiwan, unfortunately for them, that facility went up in smoke.
Hence the SC shortage, this has impacted massively on our business as JLR are our biggest customer, some experts are still predicting that the supply chain will take another 12/18 months to fill back up.
Even our VAG schedules have reduced dramatically.
To put it into context, 2019 I had 165 direct heads, at this point in time I have 67.
Certain aspects of UK manufacturing will suffer even further I'm afraid.

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
Back