Loads Of Warning Errors Following Routine Service (by Vw)

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Looking for some quick advice please folks, as my T6 is currently on a lift at a VW dealer while they sort an unexpected issue.

Briefly:

Van booked in for oil change this morning (while i wait).

Zero issues with van leading up to this, and service was carried out with no issues spotted on their Health Check.

I was given the keys back and as soon as I started the van, I got the ABS warning light.

They investigated, cleared the 4 “intermittent wheel sensor faults”, and took it for a very short drive.

The fault re-occurred immediately, and now the ESP warning light is on, and a rear parking sensor warning has appeared.

As above, the van is now up on the lift for further investigation.

They definitely jet washed the van which I guess may have put water somewhere where it shouldn’t get, but the mechanic was struggling to understand why this could have occurred.

Any thoughts ?

Pete

I can see why you'd want to help them resolve the issue as it gets your van back to you sooner.
I'd be asking for a courtesy van and leave it with them, you've paid good money to have their 'experts' do the work so let their 'experts' resolve it.
It will also help any further issues as you'll be able to blame VW.

Yes, that's my plan. It's just my curious (and bored) mind at work.
Someone here may have seen something similar though, which might enlighten me.

Cheers,

Pete

Theres no answer for this as it gets very complicated
The way the control modules work over the canbus system can cause all sorts of oddities, a fault in one system or control module is broadcast across the canbus system and all modules respond to it and anything inter linking can also be affected
A good example is what happened to me a few weeks back, my tracking went out and my steering wheel went off centre, this logged a steering angle sensor fault which after a couple days shut down my TPMS/ABS/ESP (stability program) and also disabled my stop start amongst other things ! How the angle sensor affects the engine or SS is a mystery but its how it works, got the alignment done and drover 2-3 miles and everything reset on its own
You will prob find its something random having a knock on effect to other systems ?

Yes, this was my line of thinking. If the wheel sensors are flaky due to water ingress, then the ABS should flag, as should the ESP.
And may be the rear parking system too because it needs to know that the vehicle is moving backwards to work.

All conjecture though as I sit here bored ....

Pete

Back home now with the van. They sorted the ABS/ESP warning issue, but apparently I now have 2 faulty rear parking sensors, which need to be sorted under warranty.
Not sure how that came about from a simple oil change ?

Pete

Back home now with the van. They sorted the ABS/ESP warning issue, but apparently I now have 2 faulty rear parking sensors, which need to be sorted under warranty.
Not sure how that came about from a simple oil change ?

Pete

As you mentioned above, they pressure washed it and this has been blamed on many occasions for parking sensor faults, though I personally fail to see how. Mines pressure washed every few days, as have previous vehicles, and they've never thrown up a parking sensor fault.

So here's an interesting (?) follow-up. I agreed with the VW dealer that I would call them and book the van in to get the 2 faulty sensors replaced. I thought I would just see if the parking system was reporting an error before I called them today, and it seems OK now. All the sensors appear to work as they should.

Other than being driven home (15 miles approx), it has been sat on the drive in this baking heat for the last 2 days. I am starting to think that this was all caused by their jet wash, and everything has dried out now. It doesn't fill me with confidence for the next really rainy drive, but I don't think there is much I can do, other than see if it happens again. We have plenty of warranty remaining.

Pete

Iam also going through similar issues but different problems. Mine went in for a service, no problems. Since I have had engine warning light on 4 times and yesterday adblue range fell from 4000 to 600 miles (overnight) then driving home back up to 5500???? Guess where I'm going ASAP! I appreciate it is difficult to identify exact problem as pointed out one sensor or issue can throw up lots of others but it's the frustration, inconvenience and worry if something is genuinely wrong. Moan over because saying all of that, the van is working fine, drives fine just lights up like a Xmas tree :) every now and again

Simon, I had my first service done, I had exactly the same issues with mine except it also developed a small cough. I'm now sat in Spain without my t6 kombi as it's at the dealership having a new ECU fitted.

I have had the phone call to say it's fixed. I had some other work done and they would like me to pay for it over the phone. Am I in the wrong for not wanting to pay for it until I see it?

I have had the phone call to say it's fixed. I had some other work done and they would like me to pay for it over the phone. Am I in the wrong for not wanting to pay for it until I see it?
Not at all mate I wouldn’t part with a penny until I saw it.

Back