Lithium Leisure Battery

I also got a 250w solar panel
And im planning to keep battery warn when away up mountains in da cold, battery will be under wardrobe so ill make her a little jacket and shoes !

Slightly off topic, do you know if i can paint the white edge around the solar panel ????

Thinking it may help it disappear a bit lol

I'm no expert on matters electrical, especially batteries. However, I have found there are some people who I believe ARE experts in this field, on the outandaboutlive motorhome-matters forum. In particular, a gentleman whose tag is 'aandncaravans' - his various threads are must-reads for anyone needing to decide what type of battery to specify for their campervan/motorhome.

I bet.. as Del n everyone says pointless in cold.
if I’m reading the above correctly they will still provide power well below zero and will charge down to around zero - when we are using our van the internal temp will rarely dip below about 10c (usually much warmer) so not too concerned about this aspect.

if I’m reading the above correctly they will still provide power well below zero and will charge down to around zero - when we are using our van the internal temp will rarely dip below about 10c (usually much warmer) so not too concerned about this aspect.
Mine would be underslung.

Slightly off topic, do you know if i can paint the white edge around the solar panel ????

Thinking it may help it disappear a bit lol
I've been thinking about that too. It seems a very "repellant" surface and I wondered whether heat might cause any black paint on it to peel off

Considering replacing my lead acid leisure battery with a lithium leisure battery but not sure if I could use my Ctek D250S battery to battery charger with it (currently connects engine battery and solar panel to the leisure battery) - from what I have read it isn't suitable.

Can anyone recommend a good battery to battery and mains charger to use with a lithium leisure battery?

Considering replacing my lead acid leisure battery with a lithium leisure battery but not sure if I could use my Ctek D250S battery to battery charger with it (currently connects engine battery and solar panel to the leisure battery) - from what I have read it isn't suitable.

Can anyone recommend a good battery to battery and mains charger to use with a lithium leisure battery?
If @travelvolts doesnt reply to me tagging him them drop him an email - he’s best placed to advise you.

Hi

Looks like my 140ah gel is dead after 3 years of heavy use and abuse. It cost me £300 so lithium at £1000 for 10+ years doesn't look like such a bad deal. Especially as lithium shouldn't be so easy to kill with the right safeguards In place.

I have a California T4 (please don't lynch me but this was the most relevant thread I could find) assuming I get a battery with a BMS does anybody know what if any modifications I would need to make to the charging system? No so worried about shore power as rarely get a chance to plug in. Would the existing (75A Bosch) relay be ok? I have heard thar lithium may pull alot more than acid when charging and be bad for the alternator?.

You need a dc to dc charger with a lithium charging profile, the simple split charging (durite type) relay wiring is not recommended as the way a lithium battery likes to be charged does not match the way the lead acid/agm/gel batteries like to be charged.
I bought the Redarc BCDC1240D but the lower output BCDC1225D would fit the bill as well, if you are thinking of solar in the future then these units have a built in solar charge controller.
I would recommend a solar panel as a way of keeping the depth of discharge to a minimum and prolonging the life of the battery, whilst lifepo4 do have a better DOD characteristic than agm (80% vs 50%] if you can keep them from deep discharging they will last longer.
I have not read about alternators not being up to charging lithiums but I have mostly been concerned with the fact that my T6 has a smart alternator and how that causes issues with whether the leisure battery will charge or not.
One thing I have done, since lithiums don’t like to be charged when below 5Celcius and don’t like being continuously charged when already full, is put two sets of anderson plugs in the charging circuit and a cut off switch in the solar circuit so that I can disconnect the leisure battery system when the van is in storage mode or I am not needing the leisure battery for anything, I can disconnect the andersons in the engine bay to stop the charging from the alternator, disconnect the solar input with the switch, then run the leisure battery down to 50-80% capacity then disconnect the battery from the charger via its anderson connector to leave it isolated while it’s not in use, with a very low self discharge rate the lithium battery will be ready to go even after prolonged storage but reversing the disconnect procedure will have it fully charged in no time when it is needed.

They are usually rated at about 0.2 to 0.5 c

Thank you

But its easy
Honest ! I'll help you if you wanted !
From my experiences now I'm doing everything myself I dont trust anyone at all.
Just need learn and do !
Seriously.. that would be amazing.. the panel I’m looking at does have a large junction box underneath, so not an easy cut out compared to round options

0B8C4E3E-8FAC-4A80-8206-43E73D19EB4E.png

Back