Levelling ramps, easy to use with DSG?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I am thinking about getting some levelling ramps. However as I have never used them before I am wondering how easy/difficult it is to control driving onto them with a DSG box.

My worry is the risk of driving straight over them and if you did is it much of a disaster, which Im guessing depends on how low you are.

These:

They can be a challenge, although ours is much easier since having the TVS DSG remap. The task is made easier in combination with the handbrake, but then if you want to swivel the driver's seat I try and use the footbrake.
If you have the stepped ramps it's slightly easier to pause and get it into park, but you will be leaving a small amount of weight on the gearbox if you leave the handbrake off.

@Loz I thought the ones I linked look like they will stop you rolling back down and not need the handbrake?
I was commenting on levelling ramps in general, the one you linked in look good, I have Fiamma stepped ones and it does roll back on them.

I thought the ones I linked look like they will stop you rolling back down and not need the handbrake?

They look better than the Fiamma ones, they look like it would take quite a bit of effort to go over the top of them.

Looking at the options I think the Quatro version is better with a greater load bearing.

I have the fiamma stepped grey ones, think they work well.

Having been to the very edge of them (and a bit beyond) they actually tend to lift up on the thin edge and balance as opposed to you going over the top. This is on grass, downhill and going very very slowly. My van is 370mm at the back, lower when loaded. Think it would hit the sills hard if you actually rolled over the top of them at any pace.

Fine with the dsg, only hassle is that I left foot brake and my t6 cuts the power completely if it detects any braking and power at the same time, which is a pain for fine positioning. Just use the handbrake instead.

For turning the drivers seat, best as a 2 person operation, one on footbrake, one on handbrake and you can get the seat swivelled without losing position or is coming down heavy on park

HTH

Looking at the options I think the Quatro version is better with a greater load bearing.
DO you think I need those? The 3 step ones are 1500kg per wheel. Thats nearly double the weight rating.

For turning the drivers seat, best as a 2 person operation, one on footbrake, one on handbrake and you can get the seat swivelled without losing position or is coming down heavy on park
This wouldn't be a 'problem' if you used the ramps with chocks on them. The caravan would always roll a bit as the slack in the brake was taken up, but not if the wheels were chocked first.

This wouldn't be a 'problem' if you used the ramps with chocks on them
They are dangerous to remove though, I don't want anyone with their hands behind the wheels as I try to move the weight off the chocks before they are removed.

Ironically used mine for the first time in ages this weekend which was a good job I as was going to take them out the van to free up more space. Anyway no issues driving up them with the DSG box.

Last edited:
Back