Leisure battery wiring

Chris Joyce

T6 Pro
Evening folks.
I have recently bought a leisure battery amongst other things from TravelVolts, (great service)

The battery is a leoch 120agm with M8 bolt style terminals.
Is it acceptable to connect multiple wires directly to the bolt or would it be better to convert it to a traditional post terminal and use a clamp with a few ports to separate the individual wires.

Thanks all

Evening folks.
I have recently bought a leisure battery amongst other things from TravelVolts, (great service)

The battery is a leoch 120agm with M8 bolt style terminals.
Is it acceptable to connect multiple wires directly to the bolt or would it be better to convert it to a traditional post terminal and use a clamp with a few ports to separate the individual wires.

Thanks all
Either or. But you could go for a third option, and connect it to a busbar where you can tidily have all your electrical items run from - with the option of a kill-switch to isolate the battery.

Hi Chris

i have just purchased the Leoch 120agm from travelvolts and have the same problem as you.

i was considering purchasing an adapter from alpha batteries.

www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/ pair of-m8-to-sae-round-post-adapters. £6.99 for a pair

Darren

Originally connected multiple wires, but now (after reading lots on here) going for a maxi/midi fuse box fed by one cable with a 200A heavy duty cut off relay to isolate it. Then feed your normal fuse boxes (ie. Lights, fridge, water pump), b2b charger etc from the midi fuses. Hope that makes sense.

I ran 2 cables from the +ve terminal - one to the fridge as it has a high initial current, and another to the fuse box which I mounted in a more accessible location.

Pete

Either or. But you could go for a third option, and connect it to a busbar where you can tidily have all your electrical items run from - with the option of a kill-switch to isolate the battery.
Great idea, as mentioned below I think I’ll look into a fused ones also.

Hi Chris

i have just purchased the Leoch 120agm from travelvolts and have the same problem as you.

i was considering purchasing an adapter from alpha batteries.

www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/ pair of-m8-to-sae-round-post-adapters. £6.99 for a pair

Darren

yes my original thought was to just convert the posts as the loom travelvolts supplied has standard clamps on but I’ve struggled to find any close to me and I was also a bit concerned about quality buying online.

I think as mentioned I’ll go for a maxi/midi fuse box and isolator.

Originally connected multiple wires, but now (after reading lots on here) going for a maxi/midi fuse box fed by one cable with a 200A heavy duty cut off relay to isolate it. Then feed your normal fuse boxes (ie. Lights, fridge, water pump), b2b charger etc from the midi fuses. Hope that makes sense.
Excellent
I think this is the route I’ll go down.
Thank you.

Many suggestions on wire size/amp from the battery to fuse box?

Sorry - just to clarify: the busbar would feed all the items prior to the fuse, so your DC-DC charger, your fuse box, your fused fridge etc, so you only have one cable running to the battery, with all others fore / aft the isolator. Same with the negative terminal - works out a lot neater and manageable, as you can terminate all your wires at the same spot regardless of what way around you stand / lay your LB (this particularly worked for me after I changed seats to include a swivel and laid the battery on its side, and then changed it around again to accommodate some other items).

Otherwise for the battery, a wide-head electrical screw can be used in place of a regular stud.

Back