Leisure battery draining

so, thoughts?

Order of priority?

Solar onto sca rails (100w initially but modular ability to upgrade to 200) maxing out budget

Vs

Swapping leisure for lifepo and dc to dc

Both dependent on finding someone to install (the age old full carpet interior rearing it’s head again (as per prev dash cam saga)).
I'd go with lithium and dc-dc.

Then add solar later.

What happened on Feb 8th?
As that's when you started to have a massive draw on the battery, which sent it spiralling into death.

1000006624.png

Nothing?!

Spent a night in van night before 40odd miles away, used the fridge etc.

Then parked up.

Thoughts?!

If I were to replace leisure system (provided current hillside mains charger can accommodate).

Would the below look about right?

100-200w Solar on sca rails

Victron mppt 75/15 controller in rear wardrobe unit

(This is all a kit)

And then under drivers seat

?!remove scr presumably and replace with dc-dc is this a straight shootout between victron orion and renogy dc-dc

Amt12-2

Remogy 100ah lifepo with low temp protection.

Prob looking at Iro £600-900 for solar and then £400 for battery and then £?? For the rest?!

What’s the best way of determining if current EHU charger will work with lifepo?

What happened on Feb 8th?
As that's when you started to have a massive draw on the battery, which sent it spiralling into death.

View attachment 229531
Yes - looks like you drove the van a couple of times on the 8th - mid-day and later, but a load was switched on maybe an hour before the first drive and this has not been turned off and flattened the battery over the next 3 days

Genius!

Went back and checked everything. And I now understand just why folk replace the little rocker switch hillside use for pop top lights!

That little bugger was on!

Next question…..

A) have I screwed the battery permanently?

B) is it straightforward to swap that switch for a little switch with a little light to prevent me ever doing same again?

Many thanks all,

Also, if my shopping list looks about right, please let me know for future replacing of AGM.

Bw

Chris

Genius!

Went back and checked everything. And I now understand just why folk replace the little rocker switch hillside use for pop top lights!

That little bugger was on!

Next question…..

A) have I screwed the battery permanently?

B) is it straightforward to swap that switch for a little switch with a little light to prevent me ever doing same again?

Many thanks all,

Also, if my shopping list looks about right, please let me know for future replacing of AGM.

Bw

Chris
Yes - you’ve screwed the battery permanently

You have nothing to lose by taking the battery out and charging with a decent mains charger with an AGM profile and a reconditioning mode. That may recover it enough to make it useable for a while.

As for other options then the cheapest/easiest is to replace the battery like for like if it was working ok for you before. Otherwise, an upgrade will depend largely on what existing equipment you have. If you go for a lithium battery you may well need to replace wiring, mains charger and possibly the distribution (fuse) board and mains charger. That’s what I’m having to do! Post some pics of your existing set up and people will be able to advise.

If going lithium have a look at Fogstar batteries. They are UK based (unlike Renogy) and are excellent value with Bluetooth, low temp protection and heaters.

21F8626C-2498-4191-BE97-48F71E7FE245.jpeg

This is current charger (EHU), would that work you think?

I do not have the skill for full rewiring etc I imagine

If you do decide to just change the battery like for like I would suggest getting a 110 ah rather than another 75 ah , just check the current location for size and which side the terminals are so that its a straight drop in.

Back