Leisure battery draining

silvercamper95

I've recently bought a second hand, already converted T6. I bought one of those cheap Bluetooth leisure battery monitor to monitor the state of the leisure battery. It seems to be draining about 1% an hour. Has anyone had any similar experience with leisure batteries? I've now taken the fuses out so nothing can drain the battery and its gained 4%!!

The battery is a hankook xv110mf and was installed 3 years ago.

Thanks.

What do you have connected to your leisure battery ?

Pete

There must be a load on it, maybe a fridge, dash cam, amp?

What do you have connected to your leisure battery ?

Pete
Hi Pete,

The monitor is this one: https://amzn.eu/d/230rH2z

Other than that, there's a isotherm fridge, water pump, 2 usb ports, lights and a 12v port. But I've now removed the fuses for all these.

The battery monitor that came with the van is a traffic light system so not very informative.

Just to clarify, i had turned everything off. Fridge included.

Thanks.

It's likely that one of the things you have listed was drawing current, which was bringing the battery down. The USB ports will draw current even if there is nothing plugged into them.

You could remove the fuses one at a time to see which item is drawing current.

Pete

It's likely that one of the things you have listed was drawing current, which was bringing the battery down. The USB ports will draw current even if there is nothing plugged into them.

You could remove the fuses one at a time to see which item is drawing current.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I'll try them one by one to find the culprit.

There must be a load on it, maybe a fridge, dash cam, amp?
There is a fridge, however i have turned this off. Another user on the thread has suggested the usb sockets might be the culprits. I'll remove the fuses one by one to see.
Thanks for your reply.

Post a few screen shots of the bm2 readout.

And a 7 and 15 day plot ..

Here's a 15 day plot for my leisure battery.

Screenshot_20230201_154710_Multi-Batt Mon.jpg

There is a fridge, however i have turned this off. Another user on the thread has suggested the usb sockets might be the culprits. I'll remove the fuses one by one to see.
Thanks for your reply.

I have a couple of USB outlets connected to my leisure battery, but there is a switch to isolate them when we aren't using the van. One day I forgot to use the switch to isolate them and I saw a steady drain on the leisure battery for several days. The circuitry that converts 12v to 5v uses power, even if nothing is connected to the USB outlet.

Pete

Post a few screen shots of the bm2 readout.

And a 7 and 15 day plot ..
I've only put the bm2 device on since yesterday(it went from 99% to 76% then back up to 80% when i removed the fuses) so at the minute this is all i can give you.. I'll make a note to monitor over the next fortnight. Thanks.

Screenshot_20230201_154735_Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20230201_154647_Battery Monitor.jpg

Screenshot_20230201_154659_Battery Monitor.jpg

I have a couple of USB outlets connected to my leisure battery, but there is a switch to isolate them when we aren't using the van. One day I forgot to use the switch to isolate them and I saw a steady drain on the leisure battery for several days. The circuitry that converts 12v to 5v uses power, even if nothing is connected to the USB outlet.

Pete
Ok that definitely shines a light on things, thanks.

I don't have an isolator unfortunately but it sounds like i should look into getting one fitted.

To be fair.

That's looking ok to me.

I think you need to let it run for longer and see what happens over a 2 or 3 week period.

as long as the battery stays above 12.0 volts you're good.

Also your plot does not show any charging sources.

It's just showing a very slight static drain.

So how does the battery get charged ?.

Also your plot does not show any charging sources.

It's just showing a very slight static drain.

So how does the battery get charged ?.
It's not been charged since i hooked the monitoring device up yesterday. But i can charge it through mains and there's a dc to dc charger in the van.

The van hasn't moved since yesterday either, hence why you're not seeing any indication of charging there.

Perfect.

Let the BM2 do its thing and get some good voltage logging data,

For the next week or two.

then post it here for us all , so we can all see.

Back