Lego, WTF!

It always puzzles me when you see grown men playing with Lego, I stopped playing with it when I was probably around 8 or 9.

Technical Lego, the expensive stuff, is far from your run of the mill Lego.

It may seem like child’s play but what Lego does do is destress the mind and help take you away from the mundane life issues.

I’ve had a few sets in my adulthood - the vw campervan I still have in my garage in my wall mounted display cabinet with a few other models and other car related stuff.

Technic sets are fairly complex and typically have around 1500-3000 pieces.

…..but what Lego does do is destress the mind…..

It actually makes me angry :mad:

I have a few sets incl the early technical lego car which my parents bought for me. I have the Caterham set and the large orange 911 GT3 RS both of which have been adopted by my son.

Some of them are very collectable and valuable like the special edition Millennium Falcon which is 1 metre across and has 7500 pieces.

There are many hobbies / interests I don’t understand the fascination but that is all part of the rich tapestry of life!

AE8D7434-C872-43EC-A723-EE0E908C54D2.jpeg
Proper Lego! I got this for Xmas as a child and have kept it ever since. I got it out for my son to do but then realised it was far beyond his abilities and so I needed to do it instead before he messed it up:)

Now sitting on the shelf in my office

Lego my own creation (mocs) are very impressive, especially if they only use the pieces from 1 official set like this telehandler.

To me this is even more impressive than the official builds

And all of of us over a certain age have to go for a little walk in the dark most nights. At least once!
Ah, the joys of balancing on one foot as you pee whilst swearing under your breath!

Has anyone priced old lego from childhood they may have in loft.... Not checked myself but my old boy reckons a pirate ship one I had is now over £400. It could actually be a good investment if some of the kits now go up so much in money!! Obvs depends on condition of boxes etc but pleasantly surprised. Wondered why my bro was asking if I ever had a lego trainset..... Apparently it worth even more!!

Has anyone priced old lego from childhood they may have in loft.... Not checked myself but my old boy reckons a pirate ship one I had is now over £400. It could actually be a good investment if some of the kits now go up so much in money!! Obvs depends on condition of boxes etc but pleasantly surprised. Wondered why my bro was asking if I ever had a lego trainset..... Apparently it worth even more!!

About 5 years ago I went round my dads house and got my huge box of Lego from the loft, I remembered what sets I had and found a website where you could download the instructions for every set I had.

I spent a couple of weekends building them all and taking pics and putting them on fleabay - did ok but not enough to retire on. Would have got more if I had kept the original boxes and manuals.

Back