Leather seat poor quality, what to do?

SofaKing

T6 Guru
Leather seats dont last. Because the cut out for the seat buckle is made with a sharp stop. See pictures. What is the verdict of this hand craft?

35CFFDBA-7AB0-40FB-867D-4C1B03D260E9.jpeg
1B81C968-191C-4F12-93D7-857D4D1ADAE3.jpeg

25BCCD10-B807-41A7-8FD4-C9F26E88F060.jpeg

Have you showed this to your dealer? I'd imagine it will be covered under your warranty if they were done by/through vw.

@Tourershine: I’ve sent an e-mail with my complaints, but recon they will answer it’s my fault as a user. If I could get a professional ‘furniture carpenter’ to comment on the way VW do the cut outs in the seat, I could refer to that. I would have made the cut out as shown as A. But vw made it like as shown B. Ref. att. Picture.
A1B98C59-47E6-4BD2-8F22-CF5B6F4740EC.jpeg

You never know, VW might surprise you. A fault in workmanship is a fault and as a rule, most good companies will fix the issue without any hassle.
I find these days with the rise of social media, and the power of things like Facebook (which I don't actually use) and popular forums that can often have thousands of a companies direct market within them, they can surprise us sometimes, and have the issue fixed straight away.
At the end of the day, it's far better for a big business, or small one for that fact, to show how good the aftercare system is, rather than take the flack publicly on the internet.

On the same note, I find the way I compose an email also goes a long way, using words like 'feel let down' or 'upset' and 'disappointed' seem to go further than a barrage of abuse. (Not that I'm assuming that's how you've written an email)

Then again they could just blame you for having a chunky rough ass.

Last edited:
You never know, VW might surprise you. A fault in workmanship is a fault and as a rule, most good companies will fix the issue without any hassle.
I find these days with the rise of social media, and the power of things like Facebook (which I don't actually use) and popular forums that can often have thousands of a companies direct market within them, they can surprise us sometimes, and have the issue fixed straight away.
At the end of the day, it's far better for a big business, or small one for that fact, to show how good the aftercare system is, rather than take the flack publicly on the internet.

On the same note, I find the way I compose an email also goes a long way, using words like 'feel let down' or 'upset' and 'disappointed' seem to go further than a barrage of abuse. (Not that I'm assuming that's how you've written an email)

Then again they could just blame you for having a chunky rough ass.

I’ve always tried in a polite manner to address issues with VW. Now, this strategy recently failed me when I asked for a replacment of the chrome window trim and roof rail on a two year old vw sharan. They got this milky white texture that could not be polished back to chrome-look. Answer from VW was that this was due to external influence and VW would not replace the trim. Based on that answer I’ve gone totally bashing them for their incompetent design regarding the leather seat issue... Probably it will back-fire at me, but it was so good doing it (I’m a bad person, I know)...

Well, will keep you updated if they will ever give me an answer..

A little off subject but Milky Chrome trims are usually a sign of TFR use. It might not of been you, but it normally indicates the car is washed by a carwash or valeter/valeters that use TFR.
I'd suspect that's the assumption VW came to, but could be wrong.

A little off subject but Milky Chrome trims are usually a sign of TFR use.
Or using garage wipes meant for taking grease off your hands not for trim.

Last edited:
Yes TFR may have been used at some point, I can not gurantee that. However, it was impossible to polish the trim to a clean look. So is it fit for purpose, exterior parts that cant handle well used chemicals?

C8065B62-8E6B-480B-8D37-69A05FDA51A0.jpeg
4DDCA3AC-4D65-4743-B2A1-3589A617B63E.jpeg

You might find they don't polish up because they could be plastic, (i don't know, because it's not my forte) and yes that looks just like TFR damage.
We see this all the time. People have no idea the damage caused when using such strong chemicals, often mixed incorrectly to make them even stronger. The same trims in Black will go very matt, and have a rainbow effect often. My background is Caravans and Motorhome surfaces, but we have a reasonable experience of chemicals used incorrectly, because we are the ones called to fix the issues caused in my industry.

If that was my car and I had that issue, i'd either have them painted gloss Black, or wet flat them with a very fine paper, to give a consistent matt chrome finish. Either would look better than they do in those pictures.

TFR has it's place, although we don't use it.
I think the issues come when it's mixed too strong to make cleaning faster and easier.
With the rise of the roadside car wash gangs that blast through a car in minutes, these products are assumably the staple of their businesses.
I think that people are becoming more aware of the potential damage caused by some cheap car washes, specially if you have a dark vehicle, but sadly as we've seen on here, the dealers are often no better.

TFR has it's place, although we don't use it.
I think the issues come when it's mixed too strong to make cleaning faster and easier.
With the rise of the roadside car wash gangs that blast through a car in minutes, these products are assumably the staple of their businesses.
I think that people are becoming more aware of the potential damage caused by some cheap car washes, specially if you have a dark vehicle, but sadly as we've seen on here, the dealers are often no better.

Agree there alright, I have seen many times a new car handover that is nowhere near detailed as I’d like, a quick polish over contaminated paintwork, the large franchises are the worst

Agree there alright, I have seen many times a new car handover that is nowhere near detailed as I’d like, a quick polish over contaminated paintwork, the large franchises are the worst

Straight from the mouth of a huge franchise MD when we got on a good chatty level came this:

"We are well aware that our valeting processes are not brilliant, but it's far better for a business to rectify the 1 in 100 cars sold, that's been noticed by that customer and complained about, than employ skilled detailers"

I guess that makes perfect sense really. We have to remember that most people don't spot the issues some of us spot, and most people finance a car for X amount of years, and then hand it back. They only give a damn when they get handed bill to fix the poor paintwork, carpark dents, and kerbed wheels.

Is that factory leather - How old is it. It needs to be sorted as clearly its a manufacturering fault. Ref the TFR staining, we’ve had this before on vehicles we’ve brought in but always managed to mop it out, but maybe the trims were metal. When I’m back to work ill ask my valeter.

Is that factory leather - How old is it. It needs to be sorted as clearly its a manufacturering fault. Ref the TFR staining, we’ve had this before on vehicles we’ve brought in but always managed to mop it out, but maybe the trims were metal. When I’m back to work ill ask my valeter.
Yes, its a factory option. 18 months old. Ref TFR, i’ve tried with chrome polish products of different sorts, but that did not help very much. I believe some fine gritting is the only option. Its not plastic (fake) trims, but may be a thin polymere /plastic top layer?

The customer responsible at my local VW workshop probably stayed awake in the customer support class lessons :)

Back