Leaking & Exploding Vango Airhub Hexaway Low

Angela

Heya all, I’m just calling out for some info and to let you know our woes.

We brought a Vango airhub hexaway from the camping and caravan show 2 years ago and off we go all excited to use it and that September we come to find it leaked not just a little basically a river running down the innards of the unit soaking everything in its path. We were a little annoyed but thought maybe an accident the factory and it missed the waterproofing stage, so hey ho, emails were sent. Vango collected it and took it away kept it for a couple of months then one day out of the blue a new one arrives at our door, no note, no apology, but once again as we are the chillest people in the universe think yay a new unit, September here we come.

You’d think this is where the drama ends but sadly noooooo.

We put it up this year and have it up for 7 whole nights and the thing explodes like a cannon going off bringing half a campsite running over to our pitch to see we now own a hub hexaway with no air. The explosion so bad it didn’t just blow the plastic spider unit it blew and tore out the material going down the tent.

I don’t know about anyone else but the chillest people in the universe are now a tad fed up with Vango. One holiday I’d not say ruined but not enjoyed fully sitting with umbrellas inside the air hub, the second holiday again hampered but this time costly as we had to run out to Argos and buy two throw out pop up tents as we needed storage for all our belongings, there wasn’t a better tent unit for 90 miles due to low stock this year.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or are we just the unluckiest people in the Vango world. We are now in communications with the people who sold it as obviously right now we would like a refund or a credit note but I think the idea is going to be again Vango collect it and keep it for a couple of months then send us another new unit. If this is the case we will soon be having a brand new air hub up for sale as I honestly can’t face schlepping another on of those things to Devon to pitch it to not use it.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
You may have been unlucky , or the air hub no good ??
Have used vango sapera for 4 or 5 years in all sorts of weather , also have two vango air awnings for caravan which have both been reliable & very good .
I also found their repair service to be quick & excellent value when having a seam & tear repaired on our 5 year old caravan awning after storm damage .

Maybe try one of the other vango models ? Hope you have better luck if you do try another ..

Hi @Angela .. Sorry to hear you’d had a bad experience... We had a Hexaway2 low which we did enjoy ..but it’s not until you use it in the field so to speak that you learn it’s drawbacks like ...only one big tube..no fitted ground sheet...but in the main a nice awning as long as you don’t over pressure the tube ( 7 on the gauge )... but we now have a Vango Rhône polycotten ..Why because it offers more usable space ( due to shape ) sown in ground sheet ( but you need the foot print ) Having 4 individual beams less problematic (can carry 1 spare as backup ) Cooler on hot days ( if we get any ) easy to re waterproof which gives great longevity.....this purchase was after seeing real life setups and talking to fellow t6 owners ( many thanks ).... but like most things in life...you buy it...try it..then wish it had this or that.... Vango are good at adding little extras each year...it’s fools like us that pay for them :(

We had an Airhub Hex (essentially the same tent but without the driveway tunnel to connect to a van). Ours blew up last Summer with a loud bang that split one of the tubes - in our case I'm pretty sure that the issue was down to over inflation; I put it up in the morning and then left it to go shopping - the pressure when I put it up would have been in the green zone but as the sun came around and quickly warmed the tubes and tent the pressures were quickly raised to a catastrophic level.

My advice to anyone with these low pressure air tents (not just Vango) is to pay attention to your inflation pressures and monitor throughout the day/stay, especially if you are putting up when its relatively cool and the temperatures are expected to seriously rise during the day/stay.

There was a post a few months ago that spoke about using pressure release valves akin to what serious off road drivers use - not sure if this was a viable option or not - @Loz ?? Either way, I suspect the tent manufacturers incorporating pressure release valves into their designs to prevent over inflation would cost pence per tent and be a far better solution?

We have a couple of Vango air beams, a Kella and a Hexaway and both, so far, have been faultless.
I am aware that the tubes can burst if over inflated and that in hot weather the air expands and that can also cause a burst so we always under-inflate them.
OK they can be a bit like Mr Blobby and bend in the wind but if it’s really blowy I just top it up a bit.

I’ve been using traditional Vango tents with poles for decades...they last decades if looked after.
I suspect tents that last for years is no longer a good business model as there are much cheaper options available, perhaps a reason why quality might be slipping.
I’ve never looked at one of these Air Beam tents but it’s fairly obvious that air expands when heated and these days the weather forecast is accurate enough to allow for expansion when inflating a tent.
I agree with the previous comment about the pressure relief valve or lack of it, having looked online at some Vango instructions ‘ fill to 7psi but do not exceed 8psi’...mmm, seems like a fine balancing act.
I’d opt for a fibreglass pole any day.

There are many myths surrounding airtents and the effects of temperature on beam pressure. I’ve had a large Outwell air beam tent and used it in France two years running with daily temps up to 40c. Spent a lot of that time letting a bit of air out in the morning of the hottest days and topping up in the evening, a lot of faff but I noticed the beam pressures didn’t swing about as much as I had been led to believe.

For the last two years I’ve had a large Kampa air beam which we also use in France regularly up to 35-40c daily temps, I now inflate on the first day to 6psi and forget all about it, apart from topping the beams up on day 8 for the second week by which time they typically lose about 1-2 psi.

Kampa have published this handy chart which shows the effects of air temperature on beam pressure.

We had an Airhub Hex (essentially the same tent but without the driveway tunnel to connect to a van). Ours blew up last Summer with a loud bang that split one of the tubes - in our case I'm pretty sure that the issue was down to over inflation; I put it up in the morning and then left it to go shopping - the pressure when I put it up would have been in the green zone but as the sun came around and quickly warmed the tubes and tent the pressures were quickly raised to a catastrophic level.

My advice to anyone with these low pressure air tents (not just Vango) is to pay attention to your inflation pressures and monitor throughout the day/stay, especially if you are putting up when its relatively cool and the temperatures are expected to seriously rise during the day/stay.

There was a post a few months ago that spoke about using pressure release valves akin to what serious off road drivers use - not sure if this was a viable option or not - @Loz ?? Either way, I suspect the tent manufacturers incorporating pressure release valves into their designs to prevent over inflation would cost pence per tent and be a far better solution?

It seems unfathomable to me though in a way that even if it is over pressure, not by human but by environment that these units can be fit for purpose, My only comparison in my mind is like my bicycle inner tube. I never have to worry about that exploding because it’s made out of the right material for the job. When we actually saw the thickness of the plastic inside the spider unit, which we didn’t even think of looking at before, it’s so thin. I think I’ve had paddling pools made with thicker plastic.

On the valve I think I did see a video from one of the producers of these air awnings who have actually added a pressure release valve but I forgot to note who it was who sold it. You never think you need to when your happy with what you have.

Maybe I have to just accept it’s an extra £31.50 a night extra charge for having the extra space. I divided it’s cost by how many nights we got out of it. I’ve been pondering with the hubby on if I’d get away with charging Vango the same amount a night for the two months they have it when they are examining it, but one bonus is it’s two months we don’t have to store it so I aught to be quiet unless I’ll incur storage fees.

Outdoor Revolution made a big deal about pressure relief valves a few years ago but I think they had stopped doing them now. The valves were releasing air and causing the tents to collapse!!

Your point about bicycle inner tubes and tyres is exactly the way I view it. The inner air bladder doesn’t need to be strong but it must be contained by something that is extremely strong. The usual reason for explosion is the outer fabric splitting along a sewn seam and then the tube bursts out. Outwell made this mistake in their 2018 range of tents, the inner material was often similar to groundsheet material, they now do multiple layers of higher TPI fabric inside the main sleeve which I believe has vastly improved the situation.

There are many myths surrounding airtents and the effects of temperature on beam pressure. I’ve had a large Outwell air beam tent and used it in France two years running with daily temps up to 40c. Spent a lot of that time letting a bit of air out in the morning of the hottest days and topping up in the evening, a lot of faff but I noticed the beam pressures didn’t swing about as much as I had been led to believe.

For the last two years I’ve had a large Kampa air beam which we also use in France regularly up to 35-40c daily temps, I now inflate on the first day to 6psi and forget all about it, apart from topping the beams up on day 8 for the second week by which time they typically lose about 1-2 psi.

Kampa have published this handy chart which shows the effects of air temperature on beam pressure.

Outdoor Revolution made a big deal about pressure relief valves a few years ago but I think they had stopped doing them now. The valves were releasing air and causing the tents to collapse!!

Your point about bicycle inner tubes and tyres is exactly the way I view it. The inner air bladder doesn’t need to be strong but it must be contained by something that is extremely strong. The usual reason for explosion is the outer fabric splitting along a sewn seam and then the tube bursts out. Outwell made this mistake in their 2018 range of tents, the inner material was often similar to groundsheet material, they now do multiple layers of higher TPI fabric inside the main sleeve which I believe has vastly improved the situation.

Ahhh that’s interesting as we did notice after the huuuuugggee bang that the material on the actual hub the bit that holds the zipped sleeve to the tent has ripped not along the seam but totally tore the fabric and frayed it, but strangely there is a middle sleeve with the zips that wasn’t split, for the life of it I can’t guess the scenario in how that happened it doesn’t follow logic.

I’m now of the opinion if you own one of these things you need to spend all your holiday sitting inside it with the gauge attached watching the psi levels. We did speak to a lot of people after half the campsite came to check out the explosion and at least 4 people did carry spare tubes with them but that’s a tad difficult with the hub as it’s all one unit. Put it this way I’m glad it’s going back for a Vango inspection so they can fit the spider as it looks like it’s a nightmare to do.

Ahhh that’s interesting as we did notice after the huuuuugggee bang that the material on the actual hub the bit that holds the zipped sleeve to the tent has ripped not along the seam but totally tore the fabric and frayed it, but strangely there is a middle sleeve with the zips that wasn’t split, for the life of it I can’t guess the scenario in how that happened it doesn’t follow logic.

I’m now of the opinion if you own one of these things you need to spend all your holiday sitting inside it with the gauge attached watching the psi levels. We did speak to a lot of people after half the campsite came to check out the explosion and at least 4 people did carry spare tubes with them but that’s a tad difficult with the hub as it’s all one unit. Put it this way I’m glad it’s going back for a Vango inspection so they can fit the spider as it looks like it’s a nightmare to do.

Now that is odd. Do you think there was a chance that from manufacture the inner fabric sleeve with the zip was not actually fully zipped up or the zip itself split open and once you opened it you removed the evidence of the initial point of failure? It’s probably impossible to say but was the outer fabric failure in line with the inner zip?

weve used AIR Beam tents for years . .

we also have the HEX HUB.

weve a leaking bean but never a failed beam due to inflation issues.

most of the supplied hand pumps come with a gauge that shows the green secition 7-9PSI mormally.

so we also go for 7psi (if setting up in the evening) to allow for sun/daytime expansion and tweek the following day.

being lazy we quicklt moved over to automatic 12v airpumps . .

currently this Kampa one, set your desiered pressure, plug-in then go get a beer . . .

the pump shuts off when it reaches the correct pressure . . . 7 PSI in our case . .

this is what we use . . .

1600600387609.png

storage bag . . .

1600600426855.png

1600600353183.png

heres a look at it . . .

heres my airbeam woes on a brand new porch . . . . was a manufacturing defect from what i could see. . . .

a nick in the air tube from new . . .

It seems unfathomable to me though in a way that even if it is over pressure, not by human but by environment that these units can be fit for purpose, My only comparison in my mind is like my bicycle inner tube. I never have to worry about that exploding because it’s made out of the right material for the job. When we actually saw the thickness of the plastic inside the spider unit, which we didn’t even think of looking at before, it’s so thin. I think I’ve had paddling pools made with thicker plastic.

On the valve I think I did see a video from one of the producers of these air awnings who have actually added a pressure release valve but I forgot to note who it was who sold it. You never think you need to when your happy with what you have.

Maybe I have to just accept it’s an extra £31.50 a night extra charge for having the extra space. I divided it’s cost by how many nights we got out of it. I’ve been pondering with the hubby on if I’d get away with charging Vango the same amount a night for the two months they have it when they are examining it, but one bonus is it’s two months we don’t have to store it so I aught to be quiet unless I’ll incur storage fees.
I think we are on the same page - when we had our first Vango Airbeam, a Kela III, we quickly decided that the awnings would be a bit of a consumable item when, even with a separate footprint below, we ended up with a very dimpled groundsheet on first use from having to pitch on gravelly hard standing. When the Hex blew up we looked into replacement tubes but, for us, it wasn't worth the faff so we binned it. Our only awning now is a Fiamma Privacy Room that goes onto the Fiamma rolll out awning - works for us but you lose the "driveway" ability.

Personally, I wouldn't buy another air beam awning or tent unless the standard came closer to that of our old Karsten inflatable tent - these were the original inflatables which are still being produced to a similar design 40+ years on - bomb proof and no problem with over inflation - I used to put 60psi in mine. When we first switched to the T6 we did speak to the UK importer of Karsten about getting a tunnel added to it which was a possibility but we decided against it - wish we had gone that way now!!

Now that is odd. Do you think there was a chance that from manufacture the inner fabric sleeve with the zip was not actually fully zipped up or the zip itself split open and once you opened it you removed the evidence of the initial point of failure? It’s probably impossible to say but was the outer fabric failure in line with the inner zip?

We have no clue, we just trusted Vango sent us a Brand New replacement unit and it was how it should be. Hubby has a sneaking suspicion now it might have been a reconditioned unit but there wasn’t a scuff a scratch or a mark on it and it was packed so neatly I was sure it was new. We left everything exactly intact so Vango can have an expert look at it, four people helped me turn it inside out and I took pictures and I videoed the problem so I’m going to put it on the big tv to see if maybe I can line up what caused it. We found it odd last time with Vango that no note, apology or explanation comes in the box just one day no call no nothing here’s a new one on the doorstep. I’m one of those people that like to be able to know what happened.

Back