Leak in rear upper right (interior)

SenorC

I've just bought my first T5 camper today, and while inside (during heavy rain) noticed that the carpet lining near the upper rear was wet. When I applied pressure water drips through through Has anyone has similar problems or know if there could be a reason (or easy fix) for it?

Im new to it all so bare with me if its an easy fix. Thanks

No roof rails but pop top and rear spoiler on barn doors (pop top is bone dry, as is the area around it). Could be coming through one of these holes? I don’t know what they’re for, so if anyone does please enlighten me IMG_9987.jpeg

No, I’d imagine they’d have rubber bungs in to seal them. Perhaps someone with barn doors can share a photo of theirs.

No, I’d imagine they’d have rubber bungs in to seal them. Perhaps someone with barn doors can share a photo of theirs.
Yes my T5.1 with barn doors has rubber bungs in all those holes.

Other thing to check is the seal at the back of the pop top. Ours has possibly shrunk over time so there is a 1” gap between the two ends of the seal. I thought it would be OK as a slight air gap but seems water gets in and sits against the canvas which I presume might seep through over prolonged periods of rain. I think I might replace the seal. Will search the forum for tips on that next…

Bungs fitted….. and still having the same problem anyone got any other ideas? Could it be anything to do with the spoilers on the barn door? Barn door is bone dry so doubt it is, but im lost for ideas

Does it happen if you park nose uphill/downhill or regardless of angle?

Can you get someone to spray a hose on it whilst you sit in and look?

The seal to the barn doors have probably been removed to carpet line. Have they been put back correctly? Can you see light anywhere through them?

The 3rd brake light(s) could be leaking but you mention the barn doors are dry.

Failing that, if it’s from a dealer, then they may be able to address it?

Last edited:
It was a private sale, the guy is being really helpful as he said he wasnt aware of it. Ill try hosing it today if it drys up, it’s currently soaked the seals seen fine also. Its had the problem parked both ways on an incline driveway

Bungs fitted….. and still having the same problem anyone got any other ideas? Could it be anything to do with the spoilers on the barn door? Barn door is bone dry so doubt it is, but im lost for ideas
I guess it may take a while to dry out after fitting the bungs, even in sunny weather.

Also try putting some silicon grease on the bungs before you put them in. I'd recommend borrowing/ buying or hiring a dehumidifier. If you have a mains hookup, plug it in whilst parked into the the house and leave the dehumidifier on for a day or two. Keep emptying the container. Once you are confident it is dry, get someone to hose the area you think it's leaking around. Then use toilet paper to dab around, where it gets wet in an attempt to find out where the water is coming in from. *
Alternatively buy a can of stretch carpet spray glue. Then peel back the carpet which gets wet. You can then sit inside with a torch as someone hoses the rear of the van. It should be easier to trace water as you will see it running down the skin of the vehicle inside. The carpet can easily be replaced once you have sprayed glue on. If you have to temporarily remove any soft insulation, do so. You won't want it staying in there if it is wet anyway, as that could promote growth of mould.

The key point is to identify the leak's source so you can seal it properly. Keep in your mind, it could be leaking from more than one place.

* Plumbers use toilet paper to test for damp spots on pipework, as it is very absorbent and shows moisture very clearly. Don't worry about it disintegrating as once it is dry you can vacuum it off any carpet.

Does it happen if you park nose uphill/downhill or regardless of angle?

Can you get someone to spray a hose on it whilst you sit in and look?

The seal to the barn doors have probably been removed to carpet line. Have they been put back correctly? Can you see light anywhere through them?

The 3rd brake light(s) could be leaking but you mention the barn doors are dry.

Failing that, if it’s from a dealer, then they may be able to address it?
Door seal is a good shout. On mine, I went to town beating the seals back on tight after carpeting. The leak was obvious, so I pulled them back out a bit and it sealed fine.

I pulled back the seal and seen theres about 10mm overhang of carpet in the door seal. So im guessing its been preventing the seal from actually doing its job. I've trimmed it back and ordered a new door seal, will silicon it on when it comes to be safe, then try again.
Thanks for all the help been really helpful, hopefully this works

Back