Leak from behind glove box?

Longster82

VIP Member
Hi all,
No issues previously but after a 3 hour drive up the M1 today in drizzle, I noticed some wet spots on the passenger foot mat. It seems the rubber channel or pipe behind the glove box is wet. What could be the cause of this?

Many thanks,

Phil

32F865CE-E11C-4A97-92FE-166EC9B49F77.jpeg

84D3ADFA-7782-4833-8526-A09DE9C56892.jpeg

FA39F2A6-3933-4EAB-92F9-E8F154FB2738.jpeg

Carpet looks saturated to the left is it? If you’ve got roof bars fitted they could be leaking down the A pillar and into the footwell, been there had that :(

there is an air con drain pipe that passes through the bulkhead behind the glovebox.

So driving home it wasn’t raining. The hose was dry when I set off, no AC on. Two hours down the motorway and the rubber hose behind/under the glove box was wet again....

728AF44C-C7C3-45F3-BF50-BB61475C9B71.jpeg

926C57BA-2CE7-4930-8ED0-5109B069EAE5.jpeg

If you have the blower direction on the windscreen then the AC will be on whether you like it or not! Even with the AC button not illuminated it will actually be on, well at least that is how mine works.

If you have the blower direction on the windscreen then the AC will be on whether you like it or not! Even with the AC button not illuminated it will actually be on, well at least that is how mine works.

Thanks, so do you think it’s just condensation?

Did you have the blower direction set to windscreen?

Impossible to say really but there is a condensate run off pipe in the location you describe. It’s meant to route through the firewall bulkhead and drain in to the engine bay.

Is that rubber hose loose, can you see if it has popped out of the hole in the bulkhead? If it’s hanging loose in the footwell then that is probably all it is. Does it just look like water coming out of the pipe?

Yes the blower was on the windscreen on the way out this morning, so after a 3 hour drive with the AC on, could be condensation.
Coming home I turned it on to the forward vents with the AC off and it seemed to dry up. I also tried these vents with the AC on for a short while and seemed ok.

The hose seems to go through the firewall and be secure. It’s tricky to tell if it’s split but given water is up the sides of it, it does seem it could be condensation given what you’ve said about the vent position. I’ll have to keep an eye on it abs see if it drips with different vent/AC combos. It’s still under warranty so can always get VW to look at it.

Thanks!

Your second photo seems to show water on the outside of the rubber hose meaning it’s split higher up in the dash or is not secured on the heater matrix outlet.

As you’re under warranty it makes sense to let the dealer have the pleasure of pulling the dash to bits rather than you having to do it:thumbsup:

Back