Leaf debris build-up

Hi,

Does anyone know of anything that can be fitted to stop the accumulation of organic matter (leafs etc that decompose and cause a damp compost like matter behind the front wheelarches?

Happens on the TT and probably many cars, it can lead to corrosion if left and not cleaned away.

Leafs fall onto the windscreen and end up going down the hinge areas (see pics).

Keen to come up with a solution myself if there isn't one already out there?

Thanks

20231118_154933.jpg

Yeah, I try to as well, but can't guarantee to catch all. A cover would be best, but its not an option at the moment.

What's needed is for someone to rapid prototype a blanking piece for both sides, or similar.

Hi,

Does anyone know of anything that can be fitted to stop the accumulation of organic matter (leafs etc that decompose and cause a damp compost like matter behind the front wheelarches?

Happens on the TT and probably many cars, it can lead to corrosion if left and not cleaned away.

Leafs fall onto the windscreen and end up going down the hinge areas (see pics).

Keen to come up with a solution myself if there isn't one already out there?

Thanks

View attachment 220469
I have the same problem as the house is on the edge of a wood. Any thoughts welcome. (Next time we move there will be no trees anywhere near). A little advice re tailgates. The top of mine clogs up with leaves which can go unoticed if not opened regularly at this time of year. Last autumn the inside of my tailgate was wet, I tracked it down to leaves in the channel above the tailgate. Check your channels!!!!

The scuttle panel drains into the arch liner, via a aperture, anything that goes into the scuttle area and of the area show in The first photo will end up either composted in the scuttle or at the back of the arch liner.
best bet is Open the scuttle up one a year and have a good clear out of the compost and undo the screw at the bottom of the liner, (see marked up photo below) twice a year, clear out the surprising accumulation of detritus, give the body panel a good wash out and refit the liner.
On the Cali, the roof drains to the scuttle panel so it’s even worse For collecting junk.

3CDC1085-1144-4F72-A273-BA7A4C341E36.jpeg

C1419D9E-1904-4CE4-9F02-1350F09EE2C3.jpeg

5D48655C-7D7E-4CEA-9FDF-1A34CC8D8255.jpeg

The scuttle panel drains into the arch liner, via a aperture, anything that goes into the scuttle area and of the area show in The first photo will end up either composted in the scuttle or at the back of the arch liner.
best bet is Open the scuttle up one a year and have a good clear out of the compost and undo the screw at the bottom of the liner, (see marked up photo below) twice a year, clear out the surprising accumulation of detritus, give the body panel a good wash out and refit the liner.
On the Cali, the roof drains to the scuttle panel so it’s even worse For collecting junk.

View attachment 220537

View attachment 220538

View attachment 220539
I’ll be checking mine this weekend!

I’ll be checking mine this weekend!
Whilst your checking the Arch liner have a look in the scuttle panel either side in the corners, I Bet you’ve got some compost and detritus in there as well.
To Access the scuttle you have to pop off the wiper arms, the plastic trim slots into U clips. (Pull off / push on )

Whilst your checking the Arch liner have a look in the scuttle panel either side in the corners, I Bet you’ve got some compost and detritus in there as well.
To Access the scuttle you have to pop off the wiper arms, the plastic trim slots into U clips. (Pull off / push on )
Scuttle has been off a few times in the past! Always amazed how much crap collects there.

I'm especially mindful after having the ECU water damaged in my E36 BMW and similar flood into the cab with a Passat. It’s something the Germans seem to struggle with!

Interesting, though, much like the OP, my first thought was to stop the crap from getting in in the first place. Would it be possible to somehow fit mosquito netting across the top of the scuttle panel? Not being a practical type, I've no real idea how/if you could attach such netting, but in my simple mind, even just placing a roll of the netting along the scuttle would prevent the majority of ingress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plant some bulbs now and have the best looking floral windscreen next spring.
I think our vans will be dead and buried from regulation / running cost before a bit of compost eats them away.

Plant some bulbs now and have the best looking floral windscreen next spring.
I think our vans will be dead and buried from regulation / running cost before a bit of compost eats them away.

I do like a nice Window box.

On that basis why bother with any maintenance?

Some people even like to wash wax and detail the vehicle they spent their hard earned on as well as try and keep the interior clean, some even spend thousands on visual upgrades, interior lights, software changes etc, that have no performance enhancing or reliability characteristics, imagine that.

Interesting, though, much like the OP, my first thought was to stop the crap from getting in in the first place. Would it be possible to somehow fit mosquito netting across the top of the scuttle panel? Not being a practical type, I've no real idea how/if you could attach such netting, but in my simple mind, even just placing a roll of the netting along the scuttle would prevent the majority of ingress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi @Bav, I like your idea and when I get time will investigate. Thank you

When I started this post it was because I am aware of the compost issues and was / am looking for a remedy. The video shared by @bobbybasic was really helpful too, thanks.

Reactions: Bav
Hi @Bav, I like your idea and when I get time will investigate. Thank you

When I started this post it was because I am aware of the compost issues and was / am looking for a remedy. The video shared by @bobbybasic was really helpful too, thanks.
Report back how you get on. :thumbsup:

Back