Kombi bed idea / question

OldHacker

I am buying a 6.1 Kombi for use as a flexible bike van I can sleep in from time to time and have an idea for sleeping which I have not seen done before so wondering whether I am missing something. Basically I have gone for the 2 person passenger seat and my idea is to fit a hinge (have seen available online) so that it can be folded flat. Then my bed idea is to fold the front bench flat, fold the rear bench flat, make an infill (possibly which doubles up as a table top) to fill the gap between front and rear benches then use a foam or self inflating mattress over the top (stored under bench when not in use). That way I use the front cab space as part of the bed and keep the rear of the van clear for bike stuff, removable kitchen pod etc.

Would it work?

Hi mate, loads of ideas on here. Might be better having a DIY or bought solution that is the same height as rear double when folded, still gives plenty of room. I have a crude DIY solution but has served me well.

Hi mate, loads of ideas on here. Might be better having a DIY or bought solution that is the same height as rear double when folded, still gives plenty of room. I have a crude DIY solution but has served me well.

Looks great but I want to keep the back of the van clear even when in sleeping mode. Hence my idea of folding front bench flat and using as part of bed base. I have seen the Neptune system which uses the seat of single front seats (one swivelled to face rear) as part of the bed but want to keep the double front bench and rear triple. Are you saying the heights would not match when folded flat?

No idea, sorry, I’ve got captain seats up front and fold flat 2+1 behind. Not come across a solution like you want but doesn’t mean it’s not feasible, some ingenious folk on here.

Hi how did you get on with your bed idea using the folded dual passenger seat and rear bench. I had the same thought but not sure how to implement it

Back