Kenwood head unit and usb/audio-in sockets

Walshy690

Afternoon everyone.

I have a T6 highline and VW upgraded my stereo to the Kenwood head unit. Ever since this has been in I have not been able to use the USB and audio input jack.

Is this able to be used together and maybe they forgot to connect it?

I'm interested to know what you reckon as I would like to get it connected as I assume I can just pop the head unit out and do it.

Any help is appreciated and the pictures are for reference.

Cheers

16174692125666013705596060943418.jpg

16174692273782299345641588650242.jpg

Above is what is needed
Don’t want to sound dumb is this an easy thing to do as I bought my van (secondhand)with upgraded Kenwood already installed and USB port has never worked and I’m not electrically minded?
cheers

Don’t want to sound dumb is this an easy thing to do as I bought my van (secondhand)with upgraded Kenwood already installed and USB port has never worked and I’m not electrically minded?
cheers
Dead easy to do.

cheers
It’s not an electrical job as such it’s just taking the existing fitting out and replacing a new one .. it’s very easy

Cheers for the replies. Where does that connect to if you have the relevant fitting? Does it connect to one of the usb cables from the stereo I assume? Also how do you remove the plastic usb section from the dash?

Cheers for the replies. Where does that connect to if you have the relevant fitting? Does it connect to one of the usb cables from the stereo I assume? Also how do you remove the plastic usb section from the dash?
yes you will have a usb input on the stereo
that the cable connects to you need a trim tool to prise the plastic section out then open the existing socket and replace it with the new cable .. it’s quite obvious once you start the process

Having trouble getting the usb out from the dash. I'm using trim tools but it's not coming out. Whats the ideal side to attack it from? Top, bottom, left, right?

cannot quite remember how I got mine out but I’m looking now and can see there is a nice bit of space to insert a trim tool at the top
Also anything like this is easier with the head unit out and the section with the two vents removed so you can get a hand behind the usb section to assist its removal

I ended up
cannot quite remember how I got mine out but I’m looking now and can see there is a nice bit of space to insert a trim tool at the top
Also anything like this is easier with the head unit out and the section with the two vents removed so you can get a hand behind the usb section to assist its removal
I ended up removing the glovebox and pushing out from the back as I couldn't get in far enough with the trim tools.

Popped off and all sorted now. Thanks for the response and help

I ended up

I ended up removing the glovebox and pushing out from the back as I couldn't get in far enough with the trim tools.

Popped off and all sorted now. Thanks for the response and help
Great in fact I may have got to mine the same way .. I’ve removed the dash so many times I forget .. thankfully mine now has all the upgrades I need ... unless I want to install a rocket launcher

I just stumbled across this thread, can you not use one of these to utilise the existing USB socket?Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 21.24.48.png

No, they do not work, as the usb sockets on these vehicles have circuit boards in them determining what works through them..
I fell for one of these once. The seller insisted it’d work on a T6. Waste of time. I ended up fitting a proper USB retention board.

Back