KENWOOD DMX5020DABS Vs. DMX8021DABS

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
One for anyone with knowledge of Kenwood headunits...

I'm considering the DMX5020DABS and DMX8021DABS. Broadly, they seem to offer the same functions but 8021 providing greater connectivity, higher voltage pre-outs, and usb-c. Is that a reasonable summary?

Essentially I want:
  • DAB
  • CarPlay
  • Telephone
  • Park Pilot retention
  • Steering wheel controls retention
  • Pre-outs (front, rear + sub)
  • OEM microphone retention (or replace in same location for OEM look)
  • Maybe hook up a reversing camera although I'm not sure how this would work with Park Pilot (I currently have a camera viewed through a rear view mirror thing).
  • Replace the cig lighter socket in top of dash with USB (pref, USB-C)
Assuming both offer me the above, is the 8021 worth the extra cash?

Lastly:
Can the DMX5020DABS menu (volume etc) and the car play menu be located to the right of the screen?
Can the DMX8021DABS button colour be changed?

Thanks

Thanks for the tag. I'm not a fan of the Kenwood stuff and very rarely fit it unless the customers specifies it. I prefer offerings from Alpine, Pioneer and Sony myself, so I'll pass this over to Jason @Absolut5 as he'll have more knowledge on the brand

One for anyone with knowledge of Kenwood headunits...

I'm considering the DMX5020DABS and DMX8021DABS. Broadly, they seem to offer the same functions but 8021 providing greater connectivity, higher voltage pre-outs, and usb-c. Is that a reasonable summary?

Essentially I want:
  • DAB
  • CarPlay
  • Telephone
  • Park Pilot retention
  • Steering wheel controls retention
  • Pre-outs (front, rear + sub)
  • OEM microphone retention (or replace in same location for OEM look)
  • Maybe hook up a reversing camera although I'm not sure how this would work with Park Pilot (I currently have a camera viewed through a rear view mirror thing).
  • Replace the cig lighter socket in top of dash with USB (pref, USB-C)
Assuming both offer me the above, is the 8021 worth the extra cash?

Lastly:
Can the DMX5020DABS menu (volume etc) and the car play menu be located to the right of the screen?
Can the DMX8021DABS button colour be changed?

Thanks
Hiya
2 totally different units, firstly the 5020 is a rebranded unit, not a bad unit though but lacks the following-
wireless capability
does not have the direct port on the back for park pilot , requires a more expensive third party interface to display them, poor graphics in comparison
no dash cam support
no multi camera input

the buttons on the 8021 can be changed to what colour you require

the reverse camera overlays with the park pilot .

we also offer Alpine and Pioneer , alpine are struggling to supply the Uk with t5/6 fitting kits , pioneer make some nice mid range price units but only the AVH z9200dab has direct input for park pilot , so again all require the more expensive third party interface

all units with the direct input requires the manufactures own interface, cheaper and way easier to install.

we tend to prefer Kenwood as it’s been bullet proof or as close as for the past 7-8 years , intuitive to use , the DMX9720xds, DNR992rvs and dnx9190dabs are absolutely superb units with the best screens, however we do like the Alpine halo905 a lot as well , and sound excellent

@Dav-Tec and @Absolut5
Thanks for the responses. I’ve been a fan of Apine and Pioneer in the last and tended to steer clear of Kenwood as it often looked a bit chavvy but has massively improved in that sense from what I have seen. It seems I’m back to the drawing board as your replies have raised as much as they’ve answered.

Thanks!

@Absolut5 Are you suggesting that Pioneer's AVH z9200dab ticks all the boxes and no additional interfaces needed? Top of my budget but looks like a winner. Only thing putting me off is it seems to sit proud of it's surround rather than flush.

@Absolut5 Are you suggesting that Pioneer's AVH z9200dab ticks all the boxes and no additional interfaces needed? Top of my budget but looks like a winner. Only thing putting me off is it seems to sit proud of it's surround rather than flush.
all of these units require extra parts to install them, ie facia, interface , fm/dab adapters and usb retention kit

Back