Is this the correct Battery [70Ah EFB]?

jordanL

Hi,
I have a 19plate t6 with stop start and was wondering if this is the correct battery? Not sure if it's agm or not? IMG_20230624_165155.jpg

It’s the correct battery, not AGM, but EFB which is a ’budget’ alter to AGM, suitable for stop-start and smart charging as fitted to T6. It’s probably the original battery, so I’d expect it’ll need replacing within the next year or so.

Thank you. I was told its not the original so maybe 2 yo or so now but I've checked on a site and it says to have a 75 but this is a 70. Do you think that'd make a difference or what that means? I've had occasion trouble woth a slow crank time on start up after a short journey.

The issue you describe wont be due to any difference in Ah. its generally considered the EFBs VAG put in vehicles are next to useless and best swapped out to and AGM battery, but be warned, the van needs to be configured to accept the change in type/capacity however even if you put in 'like for like' you would still need to have it coded in.

I personally replaced mine with the largest I could fit in the space available an 019 AGM (which was actually a 95Ah unit). lots of bedtime reading here - Recommended starter battery?

What they said.

EFB is a cheaper version of AGM.

They are expected to last 3 to 5 years if looked after. ( Ie not being allowed to run fully flat)

This is an interesting thread for me at the minute…. I have exactly the same battery as @jordanL and last week I had two or three consecutive days when my van didn’t start up as it normally does…. normally I turn the key and it fires straight up, but last week it would crank over a few times first. Is it new battery time I wondered?

When I bought my van it was two years old…. I’ve had it now for four years and not touched the battery, so assuming it was the original when I got it, that battery is now six years old.

Can I ask you clever chaps a question or two please? If I were to replace the above said battery (like for like) and couldn’t get it coded straight away, would it throw any fault codes? And after a while would the van just accept the new battery without coding?

IMG_7913.jpeg

Can I ask you clever chaps a question or two please? If I were to replace the above said battery (like for like) and couldn’t get it coded straight away, would it throw any fault codes? And after a while would the van just accept the new battery without coding?

This is an interesting thread for me at the minute…. I have exactly the same battery as @jordanL and last week I had two or three consecutive days when my van didn’t start up as it normally does…. normally I turn the key and it fires straight up, but last week it would crank over a few times first. Is it new battery time I wondered?

When I bought my van it was two years old…. I’ve had it now for four years and not touched the battery, so assuming it was the original when I got it, that battery is now six years old.

View attachment 203590

View attachment 203590
If you replace like with like, there shouldn't be any fault codes, but the charging system will not know that a new battery has been fitted and adapt to that until it has been installed for some time.

However, if you upgrade but fitting a higher capacity battery or an AGM battery, it would be advisable to recode. Carista is a relatively cheap and worthwhile tool to have and you can use it to recode.

I've been wondering about the coding of it myself and wonder if it'll still work and be temperamental or not work at all?

If you replace like with like, there shouldn't be any fault codes, but the charging system will not know that a new battery has been fitted and adapt to that until it has been installed for some time.

However, if you upgrade but fitting a higher capacity battery or an AGM battery, it would be advisable to recode. Carista is a relatively cheap and worthwhile tool to have and you can use it to recode.
Many thanks for your reply Sir :thumbsup:

After reading this and the other battery threads…. I think I’m gonna take the advice of many of you with far more electrical know how and knowledge than me and go for this as an upgrade from the EFB to AGM:thumbsup:

IMG_1221.jpeg

Wise move. I put the 80Ah version of this in my 2018 T6 just a few weeks ago. So much better than the crappy (and original) Moll that came out.

Coding is straight forward if you have, or know someone who has a VCDS.

Back