Is this Consumer Unit wired wrongly?

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
This CU was fitted by a converter. Im relocating it atm to under bonnet but the wiring looks wrong way round to me - at least based on interior CUs.
  • In the top of the CU live is on left, neutral on right. Am I going crazy or isnt it usually the other way around? Does it even matter in a single unit with no live bar?
  • In a similar vein, does it matter whether the feed from the HUP comes "in" via the top of the RCBO or at the bottom?
As it's a single RCBO I guess it might not matter for either but I figure worth checking before I fry myself (or the van)

IMG_20200422_194704.jpg

In the case of the rcd pictured above, the supply should be connected to the top terminals. Usually the brown phase conductor (both brown and blue are "live" conductors) is connected to terminal 1, but there's no polarity requirement.

Reactions: TW8
i suppose they were just going by the markings on the breaker.?

top: 1 + 3N

bottom 2 + 4N

assuming 3N & 4N was Neutral side?

and 1 & 2 was Live side?

i think these RCBO`s trip with an in-ballance of current passing in/out - metered from the live vs neutral in/out ? @Pauly @sparkywig

i suppose they were just going by the markings on the breaker.?

top: 1 + 3N

bottom 2 + 4N

assuming 3N & 4N was Neutral side?

and 1 & 2 was Live side?

i think these RCBO`s trip with an in-ballance of current passing in/out - metered from the live vs neutral in/out ? @Pauly @sparkywig
yes, thats how it was wired. Just opposite of what I've seen before.

Looks like a RCB to me, not a RCBO which would be better.

Wiring into it looks ok but I would check the size of the cables for 16A.

Looking at it I would say that’s not an RCBO but rather an RCB. These are two different things with the latter not providing overload protection just earth leakage. This may be fine for the use you need it for though.

The amps rating is what it can handle not what it will trip at. It will only trip in the event of leakage above 30mA. Overload won’t trip it.

I have not seen an RCBO that doesn’t have L/N markings clearly identified.

RCB’s/RCD’s however do vary and are often unmarked depending on which side of a distribution board it is placed. Right hand rcd means busbar/live to the left and vica versa. If unmarked they can go either way and in top or bottom.

It does look like a cheapish bit of kit but it is at least a modern Type A unit.

Looking at it I would say that’s not an RCBO but rather an RCB. These are two different things with the latter not providing overload protection just earth leakage. This may be fine for the use you need it for though.

The amps rating is what it can handle not what it will trip at. It will only trip in the event of leakage above 30mA. Overload won’t trip it.

I have not seen an RCBO that doesn’t have L/N markings clearly identified.

RCB’s/RCD’s however do vary and are often unmarked depending on which side of a distribution board it is placed. Right hand rcd means busbar/live to the left and vica versa. If unmarked they can go either way and in top or bottom.

It does look like a cheapish bit of kit but it is at least a modern Type A unit.

This is the closest match I can find on the Kopp site: MCB/RCD combination (RCB), 2-pole, B-characteristic, all pole switching - Heinrich Kopp GmbH

Markings look same as mine but 16A vs my 13A. It seems to say its an RCBO (overload, shorts, 2 pole). The current rating is fine for my uses (basically mains charger and occasional light socket use).

Interesting point on the right hand vs left hand - wasnt aware of that.

It’s could be and RCBO but it’s labelling isn’t the best if so.

However if you do not need it for overload then happy days it doesn’t matter either way.

If you want a neater guaranteed RCBO solution then the new compact ones now available are ideal.

7C5F8ECD-CB52-4720-9E17-314983185FAD.jpeg

Nothing is guaranteed with an rcd or rcbo.
a lot of people don’t realise that if you loose the neutral conductor upstream of the device,then that device will not operate under fault conditions!

Nothing is guaranteed with an rcd or rcbo.
a lot of people don’t realise that if you loose the neutral conductor upstream of the device,then that device will not operate under fault conditions!

Guaranteed as in knowing what device it actually is.

Could get into all sorts of complexities with site supplies/PEN conductors etc but that wasn’t the query.

Wired it up this afternoon as per the diagram above and seems to work fine. Test button trips it at least.

Thanks for the advice everyone who weighed in.

Back