Interesting Fault

Stigofthedub

T6 Pro
Hi Guys,
This isn't a T6 problem, but there may be some similarities between the T6 DSG operation and my wife's 2018 golf diesel DSG. I just wonder if anyone has experienced this.
We have a 1.6 diesel golf DSG 2018 that we have had a year. We noticed the problem first when in cornwall when going down some steep hills. We could for example approach the hill in 3rd gear and as we went down and the speed and revs increased, the gearbox would sometimes not change up. We could be reving to 4k revs and rising before I would change it to manual and notch it up. I tried accelerating, but nothing would make it change up by itself. Get to the bottom of the hill and back to auto and its fine. The same hill later and it would change up automatically as expected. On the flat there is no problem.
Where we live in Lincolnshire there aren't so many hills so its not such a problem. I have had it in to the dealers and it wouldn't go wrong for them. I since videoed it and showed them when it went in for service. They carried out a clutch adaption but its still the same.
They say they haven't seen this before and are asking VW technical for advice.
I have done some searching on various forums but can't find info on how it works or anyone who has had this type of problem. As someone who likes to know how things work its bugging me not knowing the logic behind its operation.

Our Passat is exactly the same. Only happens occasionally on steep hills and otherwise it’s absolutely fine.

I think it has something to do with the rate of acceleration. It wont change up incase your speed increases too much. Its trying to give you some engine braking.
Have you tried the brakes? :)

Interesting thoughts, thanks guys. Hadn't thought to try braking, we will test that in the next few days. We had wondered about engine braking but it doesn't change up when we try accelerating that you would assume is telling the car we want to get going again. Strangely it does sort itself out after the hill levels out.
We do the same hill regularly here which had a speed hump at the top so we are always attacking it at the same speed and it's roughly 50:50 as to whether it does it or is ok. I'll post the outcome when the dealers get their response from VW.

Good name btw stigofthedub.

Mrs came up with the name, wore it on a shirt around bugjam a few years ago.

My Tiguan, Touareg and my T6 did / does it.
Never had it with any other auto I have owned on the same driven roads. Landrover, Audi or Mini.

I think if you dab the brake on a hill it tries to maintain the speed by holding the gears, try dabbing the brake again to release...

I'll get the Mrs to try dabbing the brake's next time she's out and have a look for the coasting option. Thanks guys

Dabbing the brakes activates coasting (provided coasting is enabled on the MFD) but it also depends on the slope gradient. If too steep the engine braking remains on and it will not change up a gear. Hope that makes sense.

Back