Injector Problem?

AndyStripes

I'm writing this as the van is in the garage, being put back together, but without the fault being found. Wondering if anyone here can help.

Here's a little video clip of the engine noise.....

So the garage was 100pc certain it was cambelt tensioners, found one was being worked loose, so replaced cambelt and water pump. Noise still there. They've removed the fan belt, made it misfire and still can't find or isolate the noise.

Little history in the build up to this.....
- 8 weeks ago - Pendle Remap. Sensible 150 to 180 without EGR delete or anything funny.
- 6 weeks ago - Noise developed. Lifted bonnet and noticed front EGR pipe had cracked.
- Went back to Pendle Agent (also Transporter expert) who thought that replacing the EGR pipe and giving it a service would resolve it. It didn't.
- Driving back, after the EGR pipe replaced, and coil light came on with sudden loss of power. Stopped. Engine off. Restarted. Light was off and drove away fine. It's happened again on one other occasion since.
- No performance issues whatsoever. Drives fine. Just a really odd sound?!

Garage is suggesting injectors, but they're really uncertain. So reaching out and wondering if anyone has a similar experience with this? I can't help thinking that the noise and EGR pipe related, but it's on the opposite side of the engine to the EGR unit.

Thanks. Andy.

Give it a good clean, it will easier to spot leaks in future. The last few seconds shows soot on the EGR pipe bellows?

I'm writing this as the van is in the garage, being put back together, but without the fault being found. Wondering if anyone here can help.

Here's a little video clip of the engine noise.....

So the garage was 100pc certain it was cambelt tensioners, found one was being worked loose, so replaced cambelt and water pump. Noise still there. They've removed the fan belt, made it misfire and still can't find or isolate the noise.

Little history in the build up to this.....
- 8 weeks ago - Pendle Remap. Sensible 150 to 180 without EGR delete or anything funny.
- 6 weeks ago - Noise developed. Lifted bonnet and noticed front EGR pipe had cracked.
- Went back to Pendle Agent (also Transporter expert) who thought that replacing the EGR pipe and giving it a service would resolve it. It didn't.
- Driving back, after the EGR pipe replaced, and coil light came on with sudden loss of power. Stopped. Engine off. Restarted. Light was off and drove away fine. It's happened again on one other occasion since.
- No performance issues whatsoever. Drives fine. Just a really odd sound?!

Garage is suggesting injectors, but they're really uncertain. So reaching out and wondering if anyone has a similar experience with this? I can't help thinking that the noise and EGR pipe related, but it's on the opposite side of the engine to the EGR unit.

Thanks. Andy.
@AndyStripes what was the outcome?

@AndyStripes what was the outcome?
This was frustratingly easy to diagnose in the end. It turned out to be a fault with the high pressure fuel pump. Apparently a common(ish) problem with an internal spring that breaks. VW have updated the design 3 times recently so there must be an issue. My fuel pump was the single piston version. It was diagnosed by gently squeezing the fuel line with your fingers and the sound stopped briefly but with the engine still running. Very difficult finding a replacement part, VW new are around 1200 but found just one reconditioned model (old casing but with the latest internal parts) for around £600. Can't remember the name of the supplier but they're opposite IKEA in Southampton.

Good to know.
I think the bi-turbo (180 and 204) are both dual piston. Did the garage say if the failure is linked with increased fuel pressure after mapping?

Back