If a t6 shuttle has limited service history

GetTheDub

If a 9 seater 2018 shuttle only had 2 years of service history, one being this year and the other a few years ago. How much would you say in your opinion would that reduce the asking price by if the asking price were 30k. Bearing in mind the 30k is about the going rate with the mileage and spec and if it had decent service history. (which is doesn't)

I've been looking at one but I'm wondering how important is it when it comes to reselling it? I'd imagine quite important and so I think the price should be reduced to reflect the poor service history.

If a 9 seater 2018 shuttle only had 2 years of service history, one being this year and the other a few years ago. How much would you say in your opinion would that reduce the asking price by if the asking price were 30k. Bearing in mind the 30k is about the going rate with the mileage and spec and if it had decent service history. (which is doesn't)

I've been looking at one but I'm wondering how important is it when it comes to reselling it? I'd imagine quite important and so I think the price should be reduced to reflect the poor service history.

So that we know what we're talking about, assuming that whenever the van was serviced a record was made, what is the maximum number of miles driven between services?

So that we know what we're talking about, assuming that whenever the van was serviced a record was made, what is the maximum number of miles driven between services?
About 50k between services. Which is a ton. It's had MOT's every year which is virtually the only mileage history on "paper". Water pump and cambelt etc need doing as the most recent service has shown. The DSG oil was not done at 80k but has been done now with the new service. That's about everything. Am I right in thinking that sort of history should be reflected in the price or am I going over the top with that?

About 50k between services. Which is a ton. It's had MOT's every year which is virtually the only mileage history on "paper". Water pump and cambelt etc need doing as the most recent service has shown. The DSG oil was not done at 80k but has been done now with the new service. That's about everything. Am I right in thinking that sort of history should be reflected in the price or am I going over the top with that?
Unless it's been serviced at an independent (and has receipts to show this) then I'd want a substantial chunk of money off for a pretty lackadaisical service history.

In fact, I'd probably walk away with that level of servicing.

What's the current mileage?

IMO a 50K miles gap in the service history should be reflected in the price (it will be if you buy it and try to sell it later) but I'm afraid it wouldn't be an issue for me because I wouldn't even be negotiating, I wouldn't be interested in a van that's probably had the same engine oil in for 50K miles. It sounds like a van that nobody cared about, it was MOT'd every year because they had to.

Unless it's been serviced at an independent (and has receipts to show this) then I'd want a substantial chunk of money off for a pretty lackadaisical service history.

In fact, I'd probably walk away with that level of servicing.

What's the current mileage?
The 2 services it has had done have been at the main dealer. It's got about 100k miles on it. This is what I'm thinking, offer less due to this or walk away.

IMO a 50K miles gap in the service history should be reflected in the price (it will be if you buy it and try to sell it later) but I'm afraid it wouldn't be an issue for me because I wouldn't even be negotiating, I wouldn't be interested in a van that's probably had the same engine oil in for 50K miles. It sounds like a van that nobody cared about, it was MOT'd every year because they had to.
50k is a lot of miles with no paperwork. This is where I'm at now, offer less for it which would cover some costs if anything were to go wrong. Or I just walk away. I don't understand how someone could buy a motor from new and service it once and only service it again before selling. It should be well maintained, just like any motor for that fact.

The 2 services it has had done have been at the main dealer. It's got about 100k miles on it. This is what I'm thinking, offer less due to this or walk away.
If it really matches everything else you're looking for, I'd either put in a REALLY cheeky offer, like £5k under asking, or more. Or walk away.

What's the rest of the van like? Does the MOT history show a looked after van, or loads of advisories? What brand are the tyres - cheap Chinese ditchfinders or a proper premium brand?

All of this should tell you how much care it's had or if it's been treated like a workhorse and driven into the ground.

How many previous owners?
Can you afford to replace / overhaul the engine / turbos and / or gearbox at your expense.
How desperate are you for a van?

How many previous owners?
Can you afford to replace / overhaul the engine / turbos and / or gearbox at your expense.
How desperate are you for a van?
Just 1 owner from new. There were a few things that need doing in the recent service which we have agreed should come off the price but I feel the lack of service history should also come off the price. If I wanted to sell it down the line, I'd imagine I'd have to knock money off for the lack of service history before I owned it. So it's only right they should? The gearbox was also serviced recently so I assume if it was on it's way out, that would have been flagged up? When you get the DSG service at VW, do they give you any detailed paperwork on it, or just an invoice to say it's been serviced and the quantity of oil that's been put into it?

Just 1 owner from new. There were a few things that need doing in the recent service which we have agreed should come off the price but I feel the lack of service history should also come off the price. If I wanted to sell it down the line, I'd imagine I'd have to knock money off for the lack of service history before I owned it. So it's only right they should? The gearbox was also serviced recently so I assume if it was on it's way out, that would have been flagged up? When you get the DSG service at VW, do they give you any detailed paperwork on it, or just an invoice to say it's been serviced and the quantity of oil that's been put into it?
I doubt a main dealer or any other car saleman would be flagging a problem, just the opposite.
I’m not a believer in the VW Extended Service interval but from what you’ve described somebody has taken that to the extreme and beyond.
Depending on the engine code £10-14K is a figure that pops up for engine / turbocharger replacement.
I’d walk away as the oil change is key especially with all the issues with fuel dilution and EGR re-circulating soot.
You could just make a very low offer, you don’t mention how long it’s been on the market. If it’s not been long I suspect they won’t accept a very low offer but if it has been sat there for months maybe.

IMO it’s just a van with the potential to bite you in the arse, just hang on and look for a better option.

I doubt a main dealer or any other car saleman would be flagging a problem, just the opposite.
I’m not a believer in the VW Extended Service interval but from what you’ve described somebody has taken that to the extreme and beyond.
Depending on the engine code £10-14K is a figure that pops up for engine / turbocharger replacement.
I’d walk away as the oil change is key especially with all the issues with fuel dilution and EGR re-circulating soot.
You could just make a very low offer, you don’t mention how long it’s been on the market. If it’s not been long I suspect they won’t accept a very low offer but if it has been sat there for months maybe.

IMO it’s just a van with the potential to bite you in the arse, just hang on and look for a better option.
So if you get the DSG serviced, they don't tell you any details about it? I thought that's what you're paying for. They tell you how it's looking etc?
It's a 150hp TDI BMT SE 7 Speed DSG. 9 seater. One oil change around 40k and the second one just recently which was over due by 15k miles. That's why the got the DSG serviced and oiled, along with the vehicle getting a full service too.

It's probably been on the market a month I think.

This would be my first DSG gearbox so I have no idea. It's labelled as a DSG Gearbox service and oil change. If they're not looking at it, what are they doing lol
It's basically just an oil and filter change on the gearbox, that's it. I've never had anything more than that on the 2 VAG cars with DSG gearboxes, and VW/Skoda normally point out anything that can make them money!

It's basically just an oil and filter change on the gearbox, that's it. I've never had anything more than that on the 2 VAG cars with DSG gearboxes, and VW/Skoda normally point out anything that can make them money!
Same here. No comment on state of the oil or filter during both DSG oil changes at main dealer. The only comment I did get when booking it in at 40k (DSG oil changes are meant to be every 40k) was “people don’t usually ask for that”. Oddly they weren’t going to bring it up either.

I did get a comment from local Indy on the manual box in the van… something about the oil having some metal in it. Previous owner drove autos most of the time and now I see why.

I’d steer clear of a van with no real service history. Especially a DSG. If the owner was a careful type who had done their own oil changes as I used to once upon a time then they’d have kept receipts for the oil and any other service parts and written the date and mileage on top. These vans are expensive enough as it is, don’t risk it with one that’s not been looked after.

Sounds a lot of money for something with the history. Plenty on eBay for that sort of price from places like Broadway who are usually quite pricey considering their simple Bolt on options.

Back