Ideas For Side Panel Trim

sippe

NCO
VCDS User
T6 Pro
Hello all

With too much time to faff around I was starting to think about interior ideas for the van.

We have a 12l jerrycan that fits nicely under the rear seat. Only thing is, when braking the jerrycan of course slides forward and out of the spot.

For this I've been thinking about multiple solutions, but haven't figured it out yet....
1. Make some kind of a retaining system that's easy to open/close or remove/reinstall.
2. Cut out the bottom bit out of the side panel, and make some kind of a wooden box (closeable with a tilting door), so the jerrycan can go in the spot where the bag with the toilet paper is now.

Important is that it is still possible to slide the bench forward so in case we want to use the van for moving stuff or whatever. (so keeping it multifunctional. like a multivan ;-). )

Only thing is, not exactly an idea for a retaining system, and cutting a bit out the interior will be difficult to finish in a nice way I think....

Any ideas?

Grtz

Jan
IMG_6318.JPG IMG_6319.JPG

Was thinking of something in this style, with or without a bottom hinged door (but with the rest of the panel still looking decent...):
The only thing is, if I start cutting in the plastic, not sure how I'm gonna join the existing interior to the wood and still have it look ok...
img_3361.jpg

Really don't have enough to do with the circumstances right now, so couldn't stop myself from starting to demolish the car.......
Where the hole is now there'll be the cupboard later on, seats should still fit in and turn, bench should still be able to be pulled out. For the sides there'll be a small edge, and some kind of black fabric to finish it up so it looks 'kinda' vw again. Hope my plan will work, otherwise I might have a problem explaining here :)

Cut out.JPG

Reactions: CAB
Box more or les test fitted, ready for covering (black carpet). Does anyone know if you can stretch the carpet that much (it's 4-way stretch, should arrive this week) to keep the whole thing made out of one piece, or do I have to use different pieces for the sides?

IMG_6332.JPG

The result. Sorry for the picture quality (and the dirt :) ), but it's a bit dark in our garage... Pretty happy with the lining (for a first timer), but I would definitely take spray glue next time! It was a bit messy... In real life the black looks cleaner (especially on the right hand side...)
IMG_6363.JPG
IMG_6362.JPG

Back