I want a discreet Tow bar

Lui68

Hi. I’m in the market for a tow bar for my T5.1. A lot of the ones I’ve seen on eBay and other sites are big ugly things hanging off the rear bumper. Has anyone got any ideas. Many thanks. Lui

Hi. I’m in the market for a tow bar for my T5.1. A lot of the ones I’ve seen on eBay and other sites are big ugly things hanging off the rear bumper. Has anyone got any ideas. Many thanks. Lui
Detachable :thumbsup:

Pct better than westfalia I believe. No additional parts required to prop the bumper up.

Why does the westfalia need the support but the others doubt? I thought it was just a standard inclusion if the van had a factory fitted tow bar but never really understood what it was or did

Why does the westfalia need the support but the others doubt? I thought it was just a standard inclusion if the van had a factory fitted tow bar but never really understood what it was or did

Just different designs of tow bar presumably. The support is standard inclusion if the van has factory fit towbar. It is just the way the different upper parts of the attachments are designed I guess. The Wesfalia is a popular aftermarket option simply because it is what you get if you tick the box on the order form for a brand new vehicle. I didn't choose the Tow Trust one it was on the van when I purchased it. I seems to do the job perfectly well.

I leave my Westfalia permanently attached, I like to think it stops people from backing into my rear bumper.
It probably does but it isn't particularly good practice. It is pretty much accepted that removables (in general, this isn't specific to the T6 or the Wesfalia bar) that are left permanently in are the ones that are more likely to inadvertently drop out. This is because you may have no idea if the locking pin/mechanism is free or seized without removing it. If it is seized and someone has had a go at getting it off (thief, previous owner with a lump hammer for example) they can end up in the unlocked position but appearing to be in the locked position. When you start towing the stresses and movement unseize it and out it drops with your trailer or caravan attached to it and not to your van.

If you want to leave it in all the time, good practice is that you remove it and reinsert it before you tow with it, so that you can check that the locking mechanism isn't seized and is working and engaging correctly (generalist advice, not suggesting that you don't follow what you consider to be good practice in any way).

There is a well publicised case of someone who's removable hitch fell out with their horse trailer attached to it, the first time they had used it on a secondhand car they had just purchased. It transpired that the removable part hadn't ever been removed from the vehicle since new (six years) and the previous owner had 'had a really good go at getting it off' before they sold the car. New owner just saw the hook on the back and hitched up..........

Last edited:
Just had a Tow trust detachable tow bar fitted.... Really pleased with it... Simple to remove etc... Very hidden as body of it is inside the bumper... The fitter says its the only one designed for the t6 the others brought forward from the T5

It probably does but it isn't particularly good practice. It is pretty much accepted that removables (in general, this isn't specific to the T6 or the Wesfalia bar) that are left permanently in are the ones that are more likely to inadvertently drop out. This is because you may have no idea if the locking pin/mechanism is free or seized without removing it. If it is seized and someone has had a go at getting it off (thief, previous owner with a lump hammer for example) they can end up in the unlocked position but appearing to be in the locked position. When you start towing the stresses and movement unseize it and out it drops with your trailer or caravan attached to it and not to your van.

If you want to leave it in all the time, good practice is that you remove it and reinsert it before you tow with it, so that you can check that the locking mechanism isn't seized and is working and engaging correctly (generalist advice, not suggesting that you don't follow what you consider to be good practice in any way).

There is a well publicised case of someone who's removable hitch fell out with their horse trailer attached to it, the first time they had used it on a secondhand car they had just purchased. It transpired that the removable part hadn't ever been removed from the vehicle since new (six years) and the previous owner had 'had a really good go at getting it off' before they sold the car. New owner just saw the hook on the back and hitched up..........

That’s a very good post, noted :thumbsup:

Just had a Tow trust detachable tow bar fitted.... Really pleased with it... Simple to remove etc... Very hidden as body of it is inside the bumper... The fitter says its the only one designed for the t6 the others brought forward from the T5
Second this.
Really neat and easy to fit/remove.
The 7 pin electrics also rotate up behind the bumper when the tow bar is removed so you see nothing other than the bumper.

Second this.
Really neat and easy to fit/remove.
The 7 pin electrics also rotate up behind the bumper when the tow bar is removed so you see nothing other than the bumper.
Can anybody tell me whether the electrics for the Westfalia Detachable on a T6 are as well hidden as those described above please. I'm in the position where I was going to make a call this very day to arrange for one of them to be fitted. If it makes any difference, I think the 'stock' electrics for the Westfalia are 13 Pin. I'm only planning on using it for a 2 bike rack - just need to find one that will fit through the lost hatch when it's not in use. Also, I had a quick look at the Towsure website this morning and priced up a home installation for a detachable with the vehicle specific 13 pin wiring at came to £834 - am I the only one that thinks that's a bit excessive when compared to around £600 for the Westfalia (inc.with the foam support inserts).

Back