How to use a drive away awning?

The awnings are universal fit, for a range of vehicles and a range of heights. Our “tunnel” is a bit loose, and the sliding door catches it when open, but you just have to be careful.

Pete

Two tent pegs joined together with a length of fluorescent guy line. Knock them in 1” out from the centre of the wheels and just line yourself up against them when you return. Works well for me anyway.

Not got our van yet (pick up in a couple of weeks!) but have invested in a driveaway awning in preparation and was pondering how best to do this.

Your advice seems simple and practical to me, I’ll definitely do this the first time the van and awning get used.

Reactions: MLR
Also, anybody using the common three piece figure 8 set up should not be surprised when it rains and water leaks where they meet - I find it a real pain in the 4rse. Because of that, I'm trying to source a single long piece - I've found some they are 2.8M long but shipping costs are a bit prohibitive and I'm waiting to I'm in or passing near the area of the seller to do a click and collect.

After 3 uses, each one slightly better pitched than the last, I have not yet been satisfied with the connecting tunnel to my van from my Kyham Tourer Lite awning. Initially I had too much slack in it, but the next time I resolved that as mentioned above, by pulling the erected awning away from the van after it was attached and then pegging it down. However, despite that, I find that my sliding door always rubs on the roof of the tunnel when open, leading me to leave it half closed most of the time to prevent it wearing through the fabric. Is this a common problem or is my Kyham awning perhaps too low?
I have never ”driven away” yet, but I have made a mental note to peg a cord level with the offside wheels for guidance.
I think that the issue with many awnings is that they are designed for taller vans with flat slab sides. They don’t take into account the curve on the side of transporter. Our awning was supposed to fit a van between 1.8-2.1m an there was still too much material on our 2m van.

Also, anybody using the common three piece figure 8 set up should not be surprised when it rains and water leaks where they meet - I find it a real pain in the 4rse. Because of that, I'm trying to source a single long piece - I've found some they are 2.8M long but shipping costs are a bit prohibitive and I'm waiting to I'm in or passing near the area of the seller to do a click and collect.
Picked one up at the recent Camper Mart in Telford for a £10....

Which is great if you went to Camper Mart (which I didn't). The place that I've found only charge a bit more for the long piece but also want £34 to ship it (hence my desire to click and collect!).

I’m going to the caravan show on Friday and could pick one up for you but I’m bit of a skelp from you

@JOG. Thanks for the offer but I'm bound to be going near the dealer at some point in the next couple of months or so. Enjoy the show but leave your wallet at home.

Where will you pack a 2.8m long stick when travelling? The problem I have with the 3 sections is not really the leak in between the pieces but that it always aligns directly with the centre of the door! :mad:

@cgtmiles. At that length, I'm hoping that it should be fairly 'bendy' (cue @JOG) and on that basis, I reckon that I've got somewhere to stow it (but that's unproven for now!).

A single length figure of 8 could be really helpful. When we get home I'm going to attempt to modify our 3 piece one by drilling holes in each end of the underside to cable tie them together, and then securing some flexible rubber over the top of each join. I hope that will give us something that is stowable but also watertight.
I'm also toying with the idea of some kind of spring clips that will attach into the top edge of the reimo rail and the top edge of the figure of 8 to lift the figure of 8 up and keep it higher than the sliding door height.

Modifications complete!
I've connected the sections of the figure of 8 together using cable ties and holes drilled into the underside of each end.
D160EFDA-2870-46F8-8CD6-FFD239A0AA3E.jpeg

It's now much easier to assemble and still folds up into the bag.

BAB2F53B-AC21-4B68-B1E7-37D7E1746469.jpeg
The other advantages are that you can fit it with one person and the sections don't fall apart when you pull the Kador out.

I've also modified our Kador by cutting the edges back at each end, folding the centre over and riveting it to create a pull loop at each end. This makes it much easier to pull in and out of the figure of 8.
0202533A-B7B5-4744-B9D3-D215E3C70723.jpeg

7A76F3EF-B0D1-49A8-9658-6F0E39BA60A9.jpeg
Final mod has been to use some 40mm lengths of electrical trunking with Velcro stuck on the back.
46C90155-6599-41FB-B4B3-AEAB4A7E801F.jpeg
These clip over the top edge of the Reimo rail
A1217912-B6A6-4C60-9F10-3555B062575B.jpeg
and Velcro to the straps on the awning.
1F94A11F-9947-44A9-A479-4FB54666F1C5.jpeg

This should raise the figure of 8 up enough to keep it from interfering with the sliding door. (Yet to be tested as the awning is currently drying out in the back garden!)

2CB6B8C5-E3E3-41D5-B3C1-D0528DFFA27E.jpeg

£12 well spent. It makes it much easier to pack your awning away (especially when wet or moving to another site), and means that you can pack away properly in the privacy of your own home:)

@MLR. Good idea using the zip ties. When you find a way to stop the rail leaking, please let us all know.
@TrevorK. That looks brilliant if it's big enough - what awning are you using its with please?

Back