How to hide items in the boot

Lord Mfwic

I'm Batman.
T6 Legend
Hello,
I've recently bought a new SWB Kombi with twin sliding doors and a tailgate with a window.
I'm looking for something to fit behind the rear seats and below the window of the tailgate. I want to hide anything I may have in the boot from potential theft, things like my laptop bag etc.
I'm wondering is there a parcel shelf or similar that I can buy or would I need to get something custom made.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just put a vanshade blind on? or van-x cutains?. Then pull them open for driving?.

Would a heavier window tint do the job maybe?

I had a look at the van shade blinds and they do look good especially if you ever sleep in it.

At Camperjam today I got to see alot of things in the flesh, some of the quality is exceptional and can see why people rave about them.

Thank you all for the replies.
I was at Camperjam at the weekend and I do intend on fitting window blinds to my Van but wondered if there was something else as well. Don't really want to be opening the tailgate to close the blinds every time get of the van. I'll be carrying some power tools as well for work so anyone could see in when I opened the tailgate to close the blind. I'm thinking perhaps just a large storage box with a lid might do the job coupled with a darker tint. ?

I should have mentioned. Its for when I'm out and about working during the day. Once home I would empty the back of the Van.

I have the limo tint rear glass and you can't see a darn thing in through them. I also hide stuff under my kombi-bed, but £800 for this to be the method to solve your problem is possibly a bit extreme!

@DaveyB I agree, at this stage I'm not intending putting a comb bed in. Can I ask, Can you still see through the limo tint from inside the Van for reversing etc or is it total blackout?
@T6 Dave's Dad I have considered a van vault. I would need to be able to remove it easily for when we go camping in the van.
I'm thinking some sort of Box might be my best option as it seems there isn't a easier fix.

Thanks to you all for your replies and advice.

@DaveyB I agree, at this stage I'm not intending putting a comb bed in. Can I ask, Can you still see through the limo tint from inside the Van for reversing etc or is it total blackout?
@T6 Dave's Dad I have considered a van vault. I would need to be able to remove it easily for when we go camping in the van.
I'm thinking some sort of Box might be my best option as it seems there isn't a easier fix.

It is certainly darker looking out, but it does not hinder vision.

@Mfwic,

I had the same dilemma when my kombi arrived as we wanted a unglazed tailgate but driving with the rear glazed window I didn't want too lose the visibility it offered.

So we opted for a custom built unit that my brother designed and built, at this stage it is still a prototype and when finished will be fully carpeted and hopefully have gas stunts to lift. Here are some photos

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3022.JPG
View from the rear mirror
IMG_3016.JPG
As you can see none of the visibility has been impaired and the rear is fully shielded from all angles outside of the van.

Hope this helps

@Mfwic,

I had the same dilemma when my kombi arrived as we wanted a unglazed tailgate but driving with the rear glazed window I didn't want too lose the visibility it offered.

So we opted for a custom built unit that my brother designed and built, at this stage it is still a prototype and when finished will be fully carpeted and hopefully have gas stunts to lift. Here are some photos

View attachment 10434

View attachment 10435

View attachment 10437
View from the rear mirror
View attachment 10436
As you can see none of the visibility has been impaired and the rear is fully shielded from all angles outside of the van.

Hope this helps
@G11hws . Now that is very smart. That would be perfect for me except I imagine its not that easy to remove once final fixed. Still a nice piece of work.

@Mfwic Surely you could use existing chassis/floor bolt points and use similarly headed high tensile steel bolt version of the Hilo roof bolts to fasten down from within the Van Vault. it should then be relatively easy to remove the vault and lift it out. Just an idea.

@Mfwic,

It is quite bulky but it splits in to two units that slide in between the two sides. Also the back of the unit will have compartments made to offer more hidden storage behind the fold down seats and some drawers on runners under the seats.

We have thought about a horizontal I beam that would sit between the floor and the lid and use the shelf as bed when we are out and about for our daughter and dog to chill out on. Just need some time to finish these projects!!!

As a side note it still can take 5 full sheets of plywood laid flat on the storage unit with rear seats folded flat, although the two front seats are bit further forward than normal, not recommended for those that are currently in beer season!!

@Mfwic Surely you could use existing chassis/floor bolt points and use similarly headed high tensile steel bolt version of the Hilo roof bolts to fasten down from within the Van Vault. it should then be relatively easy to remove the vault and lift it out. Just an idea.
@T6 Dave's Dad . That certainly is an option and one I hadn't thought of. To be honest I didn't even know there are floor bolt points, not had a Transporter for nearly 20 years but can't wait to be back behind the wheel.
Thank you for your suggestion

As a side note it still can take 5 full sheets of plywood laid flat on the storage unit with rear seats folded flat, although the two front seats are bit further forward than normal, not recommended for those that are currently in beer season!!
@G11hws . What would be ideal would be a parcel shelf exactly like the lid on your set up with removable legs that I can take out when me and the wife want to go camping. @T6 Dave's Dad mentioned floor bolt points, I'll explore them and look to come up with a bracket system for 4 legs to support a shelf. Then everything underneath is hidden. I'm thinking 4 inch box section bolted down the some 4x4 lengths screwed in to support the lid. Basic I know buts I'll carpet it and its only for when I'm carrying stuff for work and thats not often nowadays. (Semi retired).

@T6 Dave's Dad,

That's how ours is fixed down, undo the four tie downs and cut a floor template with bolt holes recessed so the new bolts sit flush below the finished floor level
@G11hws So the floor bolt points are where the tie downs are ? So I remove the tie downs and use the fixing hole underneath ?
Sorry if I'm sounding dim but Van doesn't arrive till Thursday so can't nip outside and look in the back.

Back