Fuel sloshing around the tank

Justin@608

Can anyone shed some light on this issue...
I recently filled a external heater onto my T6.1, I didn't have to drop the tank for a standpipe as I have addblue all I had to do was attach a quick connection... I have one end of the vent for the heater behind the drivers seat and the other end in the drivers side foot well.... ever since this was fitted all I can hear driving down the road is the fuel sloshing around in the tank,has anyone come across this before and if so is it curable... many thanks

Some pics of the connections and installation would help

not sure where you have your derv line connected to. . . . .

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

but fuel sloshing is normal. - and most noticeable after coming to a stop and the stop start cuts in.

the tank has no baffles, and its always been like this. . . its just more noticeable now the engine stops, so its more quite and you hear it.

not sure where you have your derv line connected to. . . . .

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

but fuel sloshing is normal. - and most noticeable after coming to a stop and the stop start cuts in.

the tank has no baffles, and its always been like this. . . its just more noticeable now the engine stops, so its more quite and you hear it.

Screenshot_20240313_122924_Samsung Notes.jpg

This is the only thing that was connected to the fuel tank... a quick connection... just wondering if the noise is more prominent due to the fact that I have cut 2 holes in the floor for the vent pipes to enter the vehicle

still not sure where this derv pick up is from,. . . and what the adblue bit relates to ?

all T6 + T6.1 have an adblue tank (apart from some very early 2016)

got a link for this?

Addblue relates to the fact that I didn't need to drop the tank...
So I haven't touched the tank at all. so before the installation I couldn't hear fuel sloshing around the tank when driving and now after the installation I can hear it

What on earth have you done? Followed youtube or the incorrect Eberspacher instructions?
Connected to the return line? If so how have you circumvented the non-return valve in the return line?
If not have you connected to the pressurized engine feed line which will cause problems of overfuelling of the heater, with the ignition on, as the heater pump must not be fed from a pressurized line.
The only way to connect to the tank on a T6 is with a standpipe. This subject has been covered more than adequately previously.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 151946.png

thanks @oldiebut goodie - i was trying to work out where he has tapped the fuel from? ( for the new heater)

i was assuming the fuel return line, as we know that method doesnt work on the T6.

++++++++

@Justin@608 you may need to take another look at this.?

Hi @Dellmassive and @oldiebut goodie - you've got me a little concerned - I installed a heater in my t6 shuttle two years ago without dropping the tank but I connected to the auxiliary engine heater feed - not had any issues. Is that ok?
Thanks
thanks @oldiebut goodie - i was trying to work out where he has tapped the fuel from? ( for the new heater)

i was assuming the fuel return line, as we know that method doesnt work on the T6.

++++++++

@Justin@608 you may need to take another look at this.?

The information on installing wasn't from YouTube... or eber
It was from webasto directly,who I work with on a daily basis...
so I know that the installation is correct... since found out via this forum that the fuel tank doesn't have baffles in them... witch I find very strange, I've just never noticed the noise before... people have also mentioned that it also depends on how much fuel is in the tank... ie
Full they hear fuel slap..
60% fuel slap is greatly reduced...
Not sure how that works....
Many thanks for all your support...
Fantastic forum, with fantastic people always willing to help...
Cheers everyone

@Justin@608
It appears that someone at Webasto has mis-informed you then. Please ask them to state exactly what they are saying because it is obvious that this person does not know the VW T5 to T6.1 fuel pump setup. Where in Webasto does this person work? Head office in Doncaster? As above - please post a link to their information on this. I would like to contact them to find out what they are saying officially now that is contrary to their manuals.
I know that Eberspacher and the russian heater people are still saying that it can be done that way - incorrectly. We thought that it was doing to be an easy way of connecting until it was discovered that there is a non-return valve in the return line preventing correct operation. I myself have tested a T5 fuel pump to prove this and others have tested T6 and T6.1 pumps which operate in just the same way.

Hope this helps...
As this is all I could get from work...
You're have to get a quick connector for spec of vehicle via Butler Technick...

Screenshot_20240316_084202_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_084446_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_084317_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_122924_Samsung Notes.jpg

Oh dear!
That isn't correct as previously stated.
The second pictures text states "do not switch on ignition. vehicle pump may operate" this infers that the tee is placed in the pressurized line which is incorrect - see the Webasto installation manual.
Someone is giving you duff information.

Those tees are available everywhere no need to pay over the odds from Butler Technic as they are only around £3.

Could you please advise me with the correct information and diagrams, on how to install the fuel line correctly then,as this is obviously wrong... so I do need a stand pipe..?? Is that correct

The original post was about fuel slap... do you have any answers that could help eliminate this issue,your help would be greatly appreciated

Could you please advise me with the correct information and diagrams, on how to install the fuel line correctly then,as this is obviously wrong... so I do need a stand pipe..?? Is that correct
See post 7 above.
Page 13 of the STC installation manual has the instructions and diagrams.

Fuel slap is hardly noticeable on my van, just hear a gentle sloshing after the engine has been switched off. All depends upon degree of carpeting/insulation as to what is heard.
I reckon that you are picking up the noise through your ducting - you could try some Thermoduct to insulate it and cut down noise transmission.

Back