How Restrictive Is A Lwb?

Hi all.
I was going to get a “vanilla” T6 to convert but I have the chance to get a blinged up T5 with very low mileage. It’s a lwb though and I was looking for a swb as I want to get to remote places on narrow country lanes plus around the Alps and Pyrenees in it. Should I be concerned about a lwb? I’m hoping you’ll tell me not!

The only place you are likely to even notice the difference on the outside is in a car park as it’ll stick out of a standard space a bit further. At the end of the day all we are talking about is 1foot difference, 12 inches. I have a SWB, and whilst it does the job and I can park it easily, there are times when we are camping and all loaded full of the kids sailing kit, that I think to myself “oh if only I had that extra 12 inches”.

Hi all.
I was going to get a “vanilla” T6 to convert but I have the chance to get a blinged up T5 with very low mileage. It’s a lwb though and I was looking for a swb as I want to get to remote places on narrow country lanes plus around the Alps and Pyrenees in it. Should I be concerned about a lwb? I’m hoping you’ll tell me not!

Just to clarify:

You were going to get a t6 swb, but you have been tempted by a t5 already converted lwb?

I've owned a T5 SWB , but now have a T6 LWB , i'll never buy a shorty again ! :p.
If you can afford a T6 LWB ,then buy one ,although there is nothing fundamentally wrong with a T5 . take your time, look around and if your fortunate like I was , you may end up with a 4 motion :). by the way you never here of anybody with a LWB wishing they'ed bought a SWB , it's always the other way round...…………...

Just to clarify:

You were going to get a t6 swb, but you have been tempted by a t5 already converted lwb?
That’s correct yes. The van is blinged up too including led headlights, and a ton of other stuff. I’m beginning to think it’s a no brainer.

by the way you never here of anybody with a LWB wishing they'ed bought a SWB , it's always the other way round...…………...

I wish I could have a SWB :eek:

If it wasn't for the LWB, I wouldn't have a VW as a work/daily driver at all, because I couldn't justify the price of a T6 panel van if I could only have 3 seats.
The LWB was only purchased because we were able to configure mine to house my longest scaffold tower and ladders, all my kit, and keep 2 of the rear Kombi seats, meaning I can have it as a 4 seater and loose an extra car. The SWB wouldn't allow for this conversion.

However, in doing this move from my previous Vivaro, I lost one of the most important aspects of owning a commercial that I keep immaculate, and permanently house a lot of monies worth of kit. I cannot fit it in my garage because it's too long.

We are at the stage now, where we don't know if we are moving, so I haven't thrown a lot of money at the garage, but if we decide to stay where we are, I will have to work out a way to extend my integral garage forward around 12" which when you see the design of my house, is not something that's straight forward.

If it wasn't for the LWB, I wouldn't have a VW as a work/daily driver at all, because I couldn't justify the price of a T6 panel van if I could only have 3 seats.
The LWB was only purchased because we were able to configure mine to house my longest scaffold tower and ladders, all my kit, and keep 2 of the rear Kombi seats, meaning I can have it as a 4 seater and loose an extra car. The SWB wouldn't allow for this conversion.

However, in doing this move from my previous Vivaro, I lost one of the most important aspects of owning a commercial that I keep immaculate, and permanently house a lot of monies worth of kit. I cannot fit it in my garage because it's too long.

We are at the stage now, where we don't know if we are moving, so I haven't thrown a lot of money at the garage, but if we decide to stay where we are, I will have to work out a way to extend my integral garage forward around 12" which when you see the design of my house, is not something that's straight forward.

Funny you say you had a vivaro lwb, as so did I ! Bought it new and kept it 7 years, drove faultless and when I sold it ,it went within 3 days. The T6 is a mixture of work van and domestic family use , 5 seats but can get all my tools in , perfect for camping and can sleep in the back if needed without removing the seats ! So versatile.

My T5 was a LWB and it did make it slightly more fiddly getting into tight spots in Scotland, Norway and Romania, but it didn't make it impossible.
I'd be more concerned at chucking too much money at converting a T5 at this stage of the game, they're starting to drop in price quite rapidly as more and more T6s come onto the market. Also, and I'll hide behind a rock when I say this, make sure you like the look of a LWB, they're not for everyone :speechless:

My previous Vivaro was a SWB @GONA66 hence why it fitted in the garage.
It was a 2015, the new shape. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I will say it drove very well, and was amazing on fuel. Would I put another one in my business? God no. It had so many things go wrong with it, in the 2 years I owned it, compared to absolutely nothing what so ever going wrong with my T6 in the last 14 months and 35000 miles.

I went to see the van and it's a stunner. I put a deposit down and I'm currently awaiting my remortgage to come through to pay the rest off. Having perusing these T6 forums for around 12 months now I'm actually going for a T5! The many extras included on the van that I could only dream about, the condition of it and the fact that it's only done 12.5k miles make it worthwhile for me. I'm still going to be a part of this these forums if that's ok! Without a doubt the best VW Transporter forum out there. I've learnt an awful lot so far and has steered my choices throughout. Invaluable, thanks to all who contribute here.

Back