How Old Are You?

I am 42. At 25 I had my plans to retire at 40 but hey, it’s going to take another 30 before I retire :).

It's interesting to note how many people here have retired (or plan to retire) way before reaching State Pension age. We must be part of the group that the BoE Governor recently tried to blame for rampant inflation & rising bank interest rates, and the group that the government are trying to tempt back into the workforce to alleviate the alleged skills' shortage.
I’ll do anything for cash, I refuse to work to feed the State.

Got paid off in 2017 at age 52, planned for 3 months off work then get a job, after nearly 3 years enjoying myself and the pay off money rapidly decreasing :confused: I set up my own handyman business, took my private pension out at 55 and now work when I want to, get paid for doing a hobby tbh, I'd never work in an office again, enjoy the freedom now :thumbsup:

I retired in 2013 aged 63 ex plumber heating engineer and now same as @DXX sweet F/A other than riding my motorbikes or off in our T6.1 and enjoying life in general.

John.

Last edited:
56. Cashed in a pension two months ago to buy a T6. Work from home for a major British company. One child at Uni and another on the way - so will be working for another 4 years, when I hope to be made gloriously redundant

Retired at 55 in 2020, but 'work' part time to keep active and top the pension up. I'm an expert at doing as little as I can get away with, with as much payment as possible

Reactions: Bav
Finished full time work at 58 and took my company pension. Retirement lasted 3 weeks before I was back on the same project but part time with a different company.

Last year my 4th attempt to retire was more successful and I’m now enjoying my new bus pass and the T6.

33, long way to go until retirement yet :thumbsdown: I do wonder if my current van will still be with me when I retire though

This thread fills me with dread and angst.

I am 50 in a few months. We are extremely fortunate to have paid off our modest mortgage about 6 years ago due to a. buying a 2 bedroom bungalow, 2. not having kids, c. not trying to keep up with the joneses, d. buying in a time when house prices were ’reasonable’. We also don’t have loans/debt and I bought the T6 in cash.

So our outgoings are minimal compared to a lot of people.

But….

I genuinely have no idea how I am going to be able to retire any time soon - I naively dreamt about when I could pay off my mortgage and not need to work - but in reality you still have to pay out for utility bills, home improvements, diesel, food, parts for the transporter etc.

My pension pot is not that great because I focused on overpaying my mortgage rather than worrying about paying into a pension and by the time I get to state pension age it will probably have been raised to 75.

I don’t want to work at nearly 50 - I cannot face another 20 odd years of work.

So, I dream of a lottery win or that my dad won’t spend all his money on fast cars and women before he pops off - these are my only legal options it seems.

If only we knew the year we were going to die - not the circumstances or the exact date but if we knew the year we’d have a much better time with financial planning.

This thread fills me with dread and angst.

I am 50 in a few months. We are extremely fortunate to have paid off our modest mortgage about 6 years ago due to a. buying a 2 bedroom bungalow, 2. not having kids, c. not trying to keep up with the joneses, d. buying in a time when house prices were ’reasonable’. We also don’t have loans/debt and I bought the T6 in cash.

So our outgoings are minimal compared to a lot of people.

But….

I genuinely have no idea how I am going to be able to retire any time soon - I naively dreamt about when I could pay off my mortgage and not need to work - but in reality you still have to pay out for utility bills, home improvements, diesel, food, parts for the transporter etc.

My pension pot is not that great because I focused on overpaying my mortgage rather than worrying about paying into a pension and by the time I get to state pension age it will probably have been raised to 75.

I don’t want to work at nearly 50 - I cannot face another 20 odd years of work.

So, I dream of a lottery win or that my dad won’t spend all his money on fast cars and women before he pops off - these are my only legal options it seems.

If only we knew the year we were going to die - not the circumstances or the exact date but if we knew the year we’d have a much better time with financial planning.
Equity Release is your answer when you retire. Even though I had sufficient to manage having downsized after my wife’s death, I released the maximum and put it into a Guaranteed Income Bond with NS&I. With no kids to leave it to, only my sister’s grandchildren, I have no worries about what’s left after my death.

Equity Release is your answer when you retire. Even though I had sufficient to manage having downsized after my wife’s death, I released the maximum and put it into a Guaranteed Income Bond with NS&I. With no kids to leave it to, only my sister’s grandchildren, I have no worries about what’s left after my death.
That’s helpful thanks. You’re right, apart from the cat inheriting it all :thumbsup:

55 and I am my wife’s full time carer so no longer work due to her having a major stroke 6years ago we spend all our time together and go out in our lovely camper whenever possible lifes to short guys you never know what’s round the corner enjoy every day you get WE DO

Back