How Do You Keep Hill Hold On - Auto Hold

chang1

T6 Pro
I am one of the few that actually likes stop/start but would like it even more if when the engine stops, the brakes automatically came on and then released when I want to move as they do on hill hold, ie. I don't want to use the parking brake or hold the foot brake down (annoying drivers behind at night).
Hill hold always releases 3 seconds after taking your foot off the brake, which I don't understand as it seems dangerous to me. Why would anyone want it to release before they are ready to move?
So my question is how do I stop hill hold releasing before I am ready to move? I have only seen there is an option to change the release time (early, normal and late on Carista). It obviously needs to work the same with or without the engine running for the times stop/start is disabled.

You describe auto-hold and only vehicles with the electric parking brake(EPB) have this. The auto-hold needs an EPB for safety reasons.
The hill hold doesn’t operate the foot brake it is just a delayed release of the pressure when you take your foot off and there is only a very small adjustment available if you have access to VCDS/Carista as you mentioned.

I know what I am after is not the normal use of hill hold and so probably not suitable for general use. Basically I want to use hill hold as auto hold by removing the timed auto release and enabling its use with the engine stopped but with the ignition on.
I think the hill hold does increase the brake pressure when the foot brake is pressed slightly, rather than just releasing the applied pressure, so that the van is held (for a short time), even on a steep hill.
I have not found any coding yet but was hoping someone may have seen something relevant. ABS is not a module most people want to mess with so I expect it is not going to be easy.

It only releases, it does not add any pressure like the Touareg does, I know as I looked into it 2 years ago.

Why not motorise the handbrake instead? Someone on here has already done this.

Last edited:
I had the system you are looking for on a Kodiaq. Auto brakes on and off button. It was slightly jerky and annoying. It was a default off button so you could choose to use it. I chose not to. It does have a use in tricky steep off road usage imho but not really useful on the road....again, in my opinion.

It only releases, it does not add any pressure like the Touareg does, I know as I looked into it 2 years ago.

Why not motorise the handbrake instead? Someone on here has already done this.

Your right, I tried it on a downhill slope today. I thought the T5 I previously drove would increase the pressure but it was probably the same as the T6.
It is a company van so retrofitting cruise control was about as far as I want to go with spending money on it. I am only looking at cheap/free easily reversible mods now especially if it is just a bit of coding.

I had the system you are looking for on a Kodiaq. Auto brakes on and off button. It was slightly jerky and annoying. It was a default off button so you could choose to use it. I chose not to. It does have a use in tricky steep off road usage imho but not really useful on the road....again, in my opinion.

I have seen that - Auto Hold, on a VW web page. I have not tried it but I would expect it to be slower to react when putting the brakes on or off making it more jerky. As hill hold uses the hydraulic brakes it should work better. I find hill hold works fine for me. I want it to work in conjunction with the stop start system. At the moment I put it in first when the engine stops which means I have to press the clutch, put it into neutral then back into gear after it restarts. If there is a way to get it to start in gear that would be another possible improvement.

I like start stop so it is not a problem. Whenever I am stopped behind a 15 year old diesel car or van and am being choked by its fumes (recirc is my friend), I wish it was compulsary years ago for everyones health.

It sounds like what you want is a fully automatic handbrake, like we have on our Skoda Karoq. At first I was dreading it, but to be fair it just works. There are electric motors which pull the handbrake on automatically, and release when you want to drive off.

Pete

It is what I want but all I have is a poverty line company van so I have to make do with what is fitted.

Back