How do I sterilise an on-board water tank?

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've read-up on how to maintain a water tank, which all seems very straightforward. However, I'm struggling to understand how to add sterilising product to an on-board tank that I don't have any direct access to - i.e. a tank that's fitted within the bowels of the cabinetry and that's filled via a hose-connector located in the rear of the van.

Can anyone help? What am I missing here? :confused:

TIA

got a few pics of what you have?

Just fill the tank from the normal filler. Run through all taps (pipe work) till you get cleaner coming through. Top up the tank with cleaner solution again.

Then either leave over night b4 emptying & rinsing with fresh water etc. Or drive around a bit to get it around the tank.

Most of the cleaning agents like Puriclean should be ok for this.

Milton in the filling hose.
I used to dose every fill, it’s a chlorinated product so if left too long will induce corrosion.
Now I occasionally dose and half fill, short drive to slosh it about and drain.

I've read-up on how to maintain a water tank, which all seems very straightforward. However, I'm struggling to understand how to add sterilising product to an on-board tank that I don't have any direct access to - i.e. a tank that's fitted within the bowels of the cabinetry and that's filled via a hose-connector located in the rear of the van.

Can anyone help? What am I missing here? :confused:

TIA
In 7 years of ownership, we’ve never sterilised the tank. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Ps. Having worked for over 30yrs in the water treatment industry, a bit of gunk in the camper tank is the least of your worries…just sayin’…. :whistle:

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses guys.
Milton in the filling hose.
I used to dose every fill, it’s a chlorinated product so if left too long will induce corrosion.
Now I occasionally dose and half fill, short drive to slosh it about and drain.
So, just remove the Hozelock fittings from the end of the hose, bung some Milton directly into the hose, re-attach fittings and fill tank with an amount of water appropriate for the Milton dose? Sounds obvious now I've typed that out! :rofl:

Re the corrosive aspect - is this likely to damage the boiler I have for my Quooker tap (see below)?

got a few pics of what you have?
This is the filler point in the back of the van...
20230716_130951.jpg

Chasing the pipe back through the van, it would appear the water tank is sited behind the fridge (which seems an odd location!?), so can't get a pic of that.
20230716_131735.jpg20230716_131823.jpg

Here's a pic of the boiler...
20230716_132800.jpg

...and then I found this bad boy tucked away by the side of the boiler...
20230716_132811.jpg
This might be a stupid question (my speciality), but does this do the same job as the steriliser products or is this something specifically for the boiler?

that looks good.

i have no idea, but assuming that is a particulate filter for water purity.

and not a biocide, for pipework and tank cleaner.

Reactions: Bav
I’ve considered fitting a UV filter on the tap line. I only use the water in the underslung tank for washing so not a big deal.
If you eat out in pubs and restaurants the water in the tank is relatively harmless.
Ps. Having worked for over 30yrs in the water treatment industry, a bit of gunk in the camper tank is the least of your worries…just sayin’

Ps. Having worked for over 30yrs in the water treatment industry, a bit of gunk in the camper tank is the least of your worries…just sayin’…. :whistle:
I bet! My daughter's a micro-biologist and gets to analyse some of the serious, nasty stuff. Some of the tales she has - they really don't bear thinking about. :sick:

Back