Hot water systems

We have a Whale water heater that runs off 240v or LPG from an underslung tank. The tank must be about 7 litres and sits under one of the read seats (have two individual rear seats not a bench). This feeds the on board sink and an external shower point. I purchased two large blue tapaulins from Screwfix and a set of high strength magnets and use these to form a shower tent round the open tailgate. Set up time is about 3 mins and the "tent" only struggles in very windy conditions. The whole hot water system works very well for us.

fitted a surecal 6l calorifier for my sister on her crafter conversion. quality bit of kit with a 12v heater element. easily enough water for 2 hot showers when mixed with cold and the engine running. i wired it so if the engine (not ignition)was running then the heater was on, worked really well.

Mine has been in and I've ran a few tests, (due to Covid I've not had a proper trip in the van yet).
Looks like there are two thermostats under the cover, one for 240v and one for the 12v immersion?
There's also a thermostatic mixer valve you can adjust regardless of the internal temperature you chose to heat up to.
I've not yet found a temperature setting that you can get to in about 60-90 minutes that finally turns off the power draw - it appears to just keep heating.
No response to queries from the manufacturer either.

What has been your experience Andy?

Mine has been in and I've ran a few tests, (due to Covid I've not had a proper trip in the van yet).
Looks like there are two thermostats under the cover, one for 240v and one for the 12v immersion?
There's also a thermostatic mixer valve you can adjust regardless of the internal temperature you chose to heat up to.
I've not yet found a temperature setting that you can get to in about 60-90 minutes that finally turns off the power draw - it appears to just keep heating.
No response to queries from the manufacturer either.

What has been your experience Andy?

I was looking at buying one of these 6litre; did you find a solution?

I take it you've seen this:

If you set the thermostat to to the lowest setting, it should cut off?
How are you monitoring it, current clamp on the heater connections and checking water temperature?

I am in the process of removing the electrical system to work out what’s going on. During the process I find the thermostat wiring doesn’t connect to anything. It was hidden in the wiring shroud.
I’m also going to strip out and check the rest of the wiring and then test the heater. The 240v part has also stopped working!!

I have seen the wiring diagram. However I’ve yet to see a dual 12/240v wiring diagram.
Thanks!!

Ignore the circle it’s the only picture I have to hand. I put ours inside along with everything else. It’s all as compact as possible to not take up cupboard space. It does work really well mainly for the shower connector on the back of the unit. HTH

Are you thinking of under mounting it? Never considered that as an option but would certainly save space.

View attachment 78181
I'm considering the surecal 6ltr tank. Are you happy with how it operates? How long does it take to heat up using 12V? I see you have 2 leisure batteries, does capacity run short with the surecal?

It’s been good but it will depend on your usage I suppose. Mains voltage warms it in 15mins. 12v wise we never use it straight off the batteries, heating elements and batteries are never best of friends (lithium excluded maybe.) Twin batteries are for an occasional use inverter

When driving though we use the 12v but don’t know how long it’s takes as we don’t test it on the move. Normally traveling for a few hours so no gauge.

Small hand held shower and a few bowls of water for washing up then ideal. Anything more it will soon be going cold.

Not sure on the wiring concerns above things may have changed. Elements stats etc were all standard stuff but I am a sparky to that may help. ;)

Back