Home mattress

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
Always a good place to start for opinions, although this subject might invite some inappropriate ones :rolleyes:
I'm fully aware that things like mattresses are very subjective, but it's a mass of conflicting advice since we last purchased a new one almost 10 years ago.

The last year or so, both my wife and myself are constantly waking with aches from our mattress at home. It's a really nice quality mattress and it's weird, because if you lay on the bed, it's not in any way uncomfortable, nor does it feel worn out, but I recall speaking to a mattress guy in John Lewis a while back, and he mentioned that you know when you mattress is ready to be changed, when you wake with numb joints, depending on what position you sleep and this is exactly what's happening of late.
My current one is a traditional sprung style, but the mattress in my Motorhome is a full memory foam and both of us sleep perfectly every single night on that, with no aches in the morning.
Now, i'm not sure a memory foam mattress is what we need for a full time bed and we've tried toppers which did slightly improve sleep, but certainly not cure it.
I like the idea of Hybrid mattresses like Simba, that have a combination of springs and memory foam, plus they aren't insane money unlike brands like Tempur.

It's all fine reading the thousands of reviews on line, but has anyone else purchased this style of mattress and found all the claims to be false, or are they as good as they claim.

My mattress is sprung with a memory foam top. Ie Hybrid. It’s also firmer on one half than the other. Strangely I’ve never found it that comfortable And I’m not sure why. But was too expensive to put in the bin.
As it’s now a bit older I’m now also thinking of a new mattress, but unsure what to get.
be interested in others thoughts.

I personally didn't like the Simba mattress but love my Relyon pocket sprung mattress that also has a memory top built in. However, my partner preferred the Simba over my Relyon. It's a very personal choice, equally I find lying on a few mattresses in a shop is very different to spending a few nights on one.
Good luck whichever way you go.

I found that while sleeping in the van a memory foam mattress is great as it absorbs your body heat ( great as vans are cooler than houses) we also had a deep memory foam topper at home which because they absorb heat was a nightmare..being that modern homes are very warm your unable to regulate the body temperature but on a comfort level it’s good .....so we ended up with a natural fibre bed from M & S and a good supporting pillow....sleep better as it helps to regulate the body temperature so fidget less

We have a Simba and improved it by adding a wool topper as this gives it a very soft topper and also stops you getting overheated that you often get from memory foam. I see that Simba now do a pro version that has this very topper built in. We prefer the separate one its a Wool Mattress Toppers and Protectors.
However more recently, I have found that my pillow or combination of pillows has the biggest effect on sleep comfort.

We’re on our second Tempur in 15 years, it’s our number one choice.

I did spend about 6 weeks on a Silentnight hybrid spring/memory foam mattress and that was pretty good I must say.

We have a Simba and improved it by adding a wool topper as this gives it a very soft topper and also stops you getting overheated that you often get from memory foam. I see that Simba now do a pro version that has this very topper built in. We prefer the separate one its a Wool Mattress Toppers and Protectors.
However more recently, I have found that my pillow or combination of pillows has the biggest effect on sleep comfort.

As an actual Simba owner, would you say that quality of the mattress is high? A 10 year guarantee seems very optimistic, but I'd be happy with half that at the price they charge.

I'm allergic to wool, so that's a no.

SWMBO and I stayed in a holiday let recently and the sprung mattress was rock hard. Within 3 days we were both getting up with back ache.

We’re due our third mattress soon so watching with interest. Current one is Staples brand (not the stationery company!). We always bought ours from the Co Op homewares but the local one now gone.

I'm not sure if they are doing this at the moment, but we bought some mattresses from Dreams a while back, using their Sleep Match system. It really does work and there's no need to buy stupidly expensive matresses either. I think the ones that we bought were less than £300.

Our main top tip for a good sleep tho' is having your own bed in your own room. I get hot at night, so would end up shuffling off to the spare room. Most people think that's a bit odd, but now, we don't see any reason why anyone would want to share a bed for anymore than the occasional 10 minutes.

I’ve always found Hypnos mattresses very comfortable.
Memory foam makes me sweat like a pig.

Ikea mattresses are reasonable with different spring rates and damping and offer that try before you buy swap it out service, obviously get the castor wheels realigned after changing the mattress, got one here but sadly still wake up each morning feeling like a 61 year old wreck!

Had a full memory foam one for a few years, gave up in the end as it was ridiculous in summer to sleep on, back to pocket sprung super super jobby and it's loads better!

Simba mattress on order.
People will know how successful the mattress is by how many or how little i argue with people on here.

We assumed there was some issue when you sold the steels and bolted on some alluminium, lack of sleep maybe!

Back