Holiday plans for the van 2017

CRD

T6 Guru
Tickets bought yesterday for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Will be 11 years since I last went and I am genuinely excited about going back. Plan to stay 3/4 days in Goodwood area before heading down to Cornwall for 3 or 4 days.

Post any plans you have made in here!

No firm plans yet but the intention is to get away in the van at every opportunity - that was the plan this year as well but delivery delays meant that we didn't have the van for the summer as hoped.

Off to Rultand Water tonight for a couple of days just because we can!! Its only about 40 miles away but it will be a good chance for us to try out winter(ish) camping, something I've not done for about 30 years - expecting the van with heater to be a very different experience!

First one for 2017 booked yesterday coincidentally!
Dorset - Jurassic coast etc

Road trip to Valencia in the summer. Then a couple of weeks in a magnificent villa with the family (who are flying in).

Five weeks booked again starting in Santander.
Also toying with the idea of shipping our Cali to NZ, spending a month or two there then shipping it back.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire something?

Road trip to Valencia in the summer. Then a couple of weeks in a magnificent villa with the family (who are flying in).

Is it silly money? I remember seeing something about a container ship that you could travel on with your cargo. Slightly different adventure an all.

Tickets bought yesterday for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Will be 11 years since I last went and I am genuinely excited about going back. Plan to stay 3/4 days in Goodwood area before heading down to Cornwall for 3 or 4 days.

Post any plans you have made in here!
Wow never been, would love to! Used to race MG Midget on the old circuit back in the 80's....

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire something?
Looking like it might not be - £1400 each way.
If we have to hire, it'll probably be an underpowered FWD motorhome and we can't take much stuff (on a plane).
Only checking it out but it's a possibility. We loved it there SO much when we went there that we'd love to go again with the kids.

A mate had his motorbike shipped over to the states
Looking like it might not be - £1400 each way.
If we have to hire, it'll probably be an underpowered FWD motorhome and we can't take much stuff (on a plane).
Only checking it out but it's a possibility. We loved it there SO much when we went there that we'd love to go again with the kids.
I guess a lot of it will come down to timings and how long it means you are without your van either side of the trip. A friend took his motorbike over to the USA to do the coast to coast ride - he was without it for a couple of weeks either side.

A mate had his motorbike shipped over to the states

I guess a lot of it will come down to timings and how long it means you are without your van either side of the trip. A friend took his motorbike over to the USA to do the coast to coast ride - he was without it for a couple of weeks either side.
We'd be without it for probably 5-6 weeks either end but we don't use it much in the Winter anyway.
It might not be possible but it seems worth checking it out. NZ in our own nice California would be heaven to us. If we have to pay a bit more then that's fine - it's more the logistics that could be a headache plus we'd need a fair chunk of time off work and school.

Container shipping isn't that expensive really, especially if your shipper can share your container with someone else. We hired a camper in NZ a few years back and toured both islands for 3 weeks. It was an excellent trip.

We did three months as part of our honeymoon in 1999/2000 (Milkenium in Christchurch); bought a Honda in Auckland, did both Islands staying mainly in cabins, loved it!

Off to Rultand Water tonight for a couple of days just because we can!! Its only about 40 miles away but it will be a good chance for us to try out winter(ish) camping, something I've not done for about 30 years - expecting the van with heater to be a very different experience!

The Mrs is often up there with our Gen6; it's about half an hour up the road from us, and is a fantastic place to get the young un out & about!

Booked my Download festival tickets on Friday! Can't wait. Also planning to go and watch the World Rallycross in May plus several VW shows! Just got to get my bed fitted lol!

Booked my Download festival tickets on Friday! Can't wait. Also planning to go and watch the World Rallycross in May plus several VW shows! Just got to get my bed fitted lol!

As much as we'd like to attend Download, the kids are too young & it ends up being a horrible mud bath...

Here's hoping Aerosmith do a few other gigs while they're in the U.K.!

As much as we'd like to attend Download, the kids are too young & it ends up being a horrible mud bath...

Here's hoping Aerosmith do a few other gigs while they're in the U.K.!
I go every year and have befriended a farmer down the road from the main gates who lets us use his field for a small fee. Aerosmith's last tour at the moment so fingers crossed for more dates. I am a massive Aerosmith fan so really excited. Seen them at Download a few years back and they are always awesome.

Back