HMRC - making it up as they go

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
So we've been running for ten years, always paid VAT on time; we submit it on a date (always been the 8th of the month), the money goes out via automatic direct debit a few days later.

But not this time...

They decided to make the deadline the 7th of the month - a SUNDAY. Anyway I submitted the return on the 8th which is usually fine. Their own system didn't take the funds out until the 11th.

A few days later I get a stroppy letter with a 5% surcharge on the VAT - which is a LOT of money.
And today I get a rather threatening letter about my responsibilities as a Director.

So their OWN system suddenly changed the submission date to a Sunday, their OWN system took the money out a few days later as always, they decide to whack me with a massive fine telling me I'd paid late. Actually THEY took the money out late.

So an hour on the phone and I've made a rather strong "appeal" - if it fails I'm small claims courting the robbing muppets.

Rant over.

Yes but they are "fining" me for paying late. I paid when their sodding direct debit took it out (always a few days after submitting a return). Yes it was submitted 12 hours late (a Sunday being generally considered a non working day) but that still gave loads of time to pay.

And to levy such a big fine almost instantly then threaten when it isn't paid almost immediately is total BS.

Just as a FWIW - after a similar thing happened to me I contacted the vat folks to say a payment might be late and got told to use the 'faster payment system' rather than a DD . The payment got their in time and I heard nothing more, that was a few years back though.

Good luck with fighting them though, they're known for playing hard ball !!!

Just spoke to a VILE woman and it looks like we just have to put up with the bullying idiots and pay.

They are a law unto their own - I guess we should rebrand ourselves a multi national and pay NO tax at all.

Utter to55ers.

Had the same once, i'm pretty sure you the same penalty for submitting late as you would get for late payments!

I had this too. We had direct debits in place and they simply failed to take it one month and fined us. I now do it manually a week before the deadline.
(unfortunately though I can't claim the VAT on van stuff)

I submit my returns online then pay it manually myself in plenty of time that way i dont get any problems. I have only missed payment once in my 20+ years and that as because i was in hospital with meningitis, so they let me off .

My dad away told me never mess with the Vat man......wise words :)

Well they've also changed their PAYE rules so we definitely got caught out.

On a more positive note, we've started using Xero accounting software and it's brilliant.

Last edited:
Xero was a game changer for us. +1 , then another +1 for getting us away from Sage!

why can't you claim on van stuff @GoatBoater

I could have had the company buy the van and me have it as a company vehicle. Because I bought used and benefit in kind is based on the price of purchasing new it was going to screw me a bit. Accountant laughed at my justification of trying to claim conversion costs, so throw in a bit of internal politics (I'm not the only share holder) and the benefit didn't seem worth it.

I'm just going to have to be a lot better at claiming company miles (or turning trips into work trips!). There are a few nice beaches that I need to find a client near ;)

I was forced to sit through a 5 hour meeting with Sapphire Accounting Systems yesterday, looks impressive but most likely ££££££s

Back