Hilo roof

NickW

VIP Member
Hi, lots of negative feedback on the above but anyone got any good experience, looking at getting a hilo roof, seen the product and happy with it but lots of stuff out there on delamination issues, views please??

Not sure what thread it's under - be worth doing a search, but there has been lots of commentary on different types of roofs including the hilo. One person gave them a really good write-up, It's the roof I want, and is the one being fitted to andythom188's bus next week.

Hi, lots of negative feedback on the above but anyone got any good experience, looking at getting a hilo roof, seen the product and happy with it but lots of stuff out there on delamination issues, views please??
Think a lot of the negative feedback was from early roofs I to read all the bad reviews and good reviews.
Everyone will have there own opinion about a product, I'm liking the stealth look that the Hilo only puts 15mm on the height of your van so it's virtually unnoticed that it's got a poptop roof.
They are not the cheapest but not the dearest either , I'm looking forward to seeing it fitted and so are a couple more on here @DaveyB @Fish:D allready booked up for lots of pics :rofl::thumbsup:

I had my HiLo fitted by Dean at Vandoc last April and can highly recommend both him and the roof.
It looks great and is simple to use. I had a couple of niggles with the gas struts but these were sorted by a quick trip to Wayne at HiLo.
The internal roof hight is a bit lower than on some other pop tops so I have a Titan bed,which is lower than the Rib bed, and also has a 12 recline positions making
it a perfect match for the HiLo roof.
If anyone wants to know any thing else just ask!
I know some people have a big downer with HiLo but I have found it a great product and great customer service.
IMG_2362.JPG

Nice looking van nickw, what mattress topper did you use in the roof been told to use a ikea one just interested to know what other people have bought

Thanks
Andy
It's a hilo one but it is very tight in the roof space.

What's actually in the roof? a bed? more room to stand up?
As Andy says but also very handy for ventilation - raise the roof and bed floor/ceiling, open the canvas windows, instant good air circulation.

Really does make a good camper great. Especially when you can raise and lower it using a button and some powerful electric motors. ;)

Last edited:
As Andy says but also very handy for ventilation - raise the roof and bed floor/ceiling, open the canvas windows, instant good air circulation.

Really does make a good camper great. Especially when you can raise and lower it using a button and some powerful electric motors. ;)
If i could have motors on this hilo would be perfect.
And when you get glorious days you can open the sunroof up ;)

full.jpg

would probably be easier to use hydraulics with a hilo I'd have thought.

Hide the pump and manifold remotely and have pistons in the roof!

If you want an electric roof Kernow campers do a salvaged retrofit Cali roof for just over £4K fitted
I did look at kerno and the cali roof thought £4k for a second hand roof was bit pricey so went with a hilo but nice product though the cali roof

Back