Highline overhead cubby-hole tray - 3D printed

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jono
Love the custom draw! Any chance I could order one and get it before next weekend? Vans going in for a webasto heater and having the draw so the controller can me mounted neatly would be awesome!

Hi all, quick update on the 3d printed drawers. I stopped getting notifications on the thread so missed the last two requests. Sorry @ZipcodeUK I assume I've missed your deadline? For everyone else production has started now i've received my new rolls of black and grey filament.

I've been having perpetual quality issues with one corner of the drawer when it prints. I think the corner is lifting / warping and it makes some unsightly lines in the front. I'm going to try a new method tomorrow, to see if it works.

Here's what i've done so far just so you can see what i'm talking about. There will always be lines and patterns in a 3d print but the left hand side is the worst affected area. I have one just like this in my van and it doesn't really show that much but i know how important these things can be so i'd like to make them as well as possible before processing the orders taken etc.

If you can all wait a bit longer i'll see what I can do...

IMG_9897.JPG

@Jono , hey fella..... I’ve gone ahead and instructed the installed to install the controller in the cubby hole in preparation for when this draw is available, once it is I’ll order one....

Don’t suppose when I get my van back I can give you the dimensions of the cut out if it can be adjusted for print? Otherwise I’ll just cut it out myself if it’s too much faffing with the software again.

can you change the orientation of the print? ie print the part sitting up instead of down? Like that you'll avoid the lines on the front panel? there will be lots more supports though..not sure how your printer works..

@Jono , hey fella..... I’ve gone ahead and instructed the installed to install the controller in the cubby hole in preparation for when this draw is available, once it is I’ll order one....

Don’t suppose when I get my van back I can give you the dimensions of the cut out if it can be adjusted for print? Otherwise I’ll just cut it out myself if it’s too much faffing with the software again.

Yes, absolutely. Just doing another test print today at a finer resolution, with a 'brim' to help it stick to the bed. I have a feeling this will be as good as it gets. At just over 9 hours a print i can do one a day if i'm at home. So yes, let's wait for your van to come back and see what happens.

can you change the orientation of the print? ie print the part sitting up instead of down? Like that you'll avoid the lines on the front panel? there will be lots more supports though..not sure how your printer works..

Yes, I don't think that would work out too well. The finish isn't that bad as it stands. I'll post some pics later...

Hoorah! Finally, two good black trays on the left. (Four bad in the process stacked on the right). I had to try some new techniques to get them to warp less and not have so many lines. I used a brim and a 0.2mm layer height almost doubling the print time but hey ho, I think we're dialled in now. The reel of grey filament has arrived so i'll start those on Wednesday when i'm back from a 2 day work trip away. I'll DM the first two who ordered black for payment and details etc. Can't promise they'll ship till later in the week, possibly the weekend worst case depending on how work goes.

IMG_9930.JPG

Hi Jono.
please can you put me on the list foe a gray one please

Certainly can NB. I'll DM you when ready.

For the benefit of those waiting I have 2 black and 5 grey now printed. Boxes and bubble wrap in the van, will be shipping asap...

Status
Not open for further replies.