Hi hi hi

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
I've been lurking for a bit and you seem a friendly enough bunch :D

I reckon I might be about to buy my first Transporter campervan.

I've downsized my working hours and 'er indoors packed up work at Christmas, so we are in the very fortunate position of wanting to do a spot of travelling. UK mainly this year, as we have a lot of commitments.

We love keeping fit, exploring, and walking. I'm sure that the Transporter will suit us just fine.

Watch out for the usual dumb Qs, and yep, the search button will be my best mate :thumbsup:

Great f'rum BTW

Welcome along so like you have some nice journeys ahead, look forward to hearing about them :)

Welcome @Oldrat. Have you decided on the spec for your camper yet and/or have you seen one for sale that you fancy?

Cheers guys.
@Davenjo - Need a Euro 6 which restricts my choice somewhat so have been looking for a new/ nearly new. Anything considered really but prolly end up with a T28, highline 102

Preferences are for a tailgate and, no offence to anyone meant, but I dont want it to look like a 'builders' van so decent wheels and perhaps side bars and a bidy bits would be mwaaah:laugh:

@Studley
Thanks - I was lucky enough to be a triple 1 years ago but time fades skills, so still learning eh!

@Tombs
Yep, True.
'er indoors and I worked our socks off to be in this position, and it's taken a long time but I recognise that lots of folk work their ar5es off too and still don't get to roll the dice so yep, I still consider ourselves very lucky.

Welcome @Oldrat. Looking forward to seeing what you get up with your new van and on your travels. Keep us updated.

@Tombs
Yep, True.
'er indoors and I worked our socks off to be in this position, and it's taken a long time but I recognise that lots of folk work their ar5es off too and still don't get to roll the dice so yep, I still consider ourselves very lucky.

Welcome to the club, been here a while, had loads of advice but still waiting for my god damn van to arrive lol

I fully agree with that work ethic and as Im getting older I have started to realise that the things I used to spend my money on are no longer whats important to me. Used to spend hundreds a month on cars, often as much as a mortgage. In the last few years me and the mrs have decided that we'd rather own a few houses and live a good life in our later years.

that said Im still a sucker for a nice watch or pen ha

We still work but manage to take 5-6 weeks off in Summer and a couple at Easter for campervan travels :D

We refuse to slave our butts off for "retirement" because we'll be too old to surf, run, cycle much. And we want the kids to have the best time possible time now not when they leave home.

We put a lot of effort into setting up a flexible, comfortable lifestyle that isn't some endless rat race and it's worked out well.

Anyway sorry for the accidental rant, welcome and have lots of fun!!

Last edited:
We still work but manage to take 5-6 weeks off in Summer and a couple at Easter for campervan travels :D

We refuse to slave out butts off for "retirement" because we'll be too old to surf, run, cycle much. And we want the kids to have the best time possible time now not when they leave home.

Anyway sorry for the accidental rant, welcome and have lots of fun!!
Our thoughts exactly - we always planned on getting a camper van at some stage but were intending to wait until Jo is able to finish work, maybe in another 5+ years time. Glad we took the decision to get it early and are getting on with enjoying it whilst our son still wants to join us.

Our thoughts exactly - we always planned on getting a camper van at some stage but were intending to wait until Jo is able to finish work, maybe in another 5+ years time. Glad we took the decision to get it early and are getting on with enjoying it whilst our son still wants to join us.
My best memories of childhood are camper related.
We could move back to Bristol or London, expand the business and make serious money but we purposefully put the brakes on and keep it manageable.

I see wealthy second homers down here from London (or wherever) and just wonder if it's really worth it; most of them seem to hate everyone else, there's non stop oneupmanship and you can be as wealthy as you want but you can't "buy" being able to surf properly, seeing the empty Winter beaches, knowing the coast like the back of your hand, having a good natter with mates in the sea or your kids having "beach club" after school; involving boats, waterskiing and all sorts.

Just not interested in all that nonsense.

Totally agree with you there polzeylad , we live on the Isle Of Wight and have the same experiences and outlook on life as you :):) Must be the sea air

Agree with all thats been said. Life's far too short, and we've had people close to us taken far too young.:(

Right, onto more cheerful things, I've reserved a new T6 from Cambridge Campervans. Black 102 T28 highline and tail. Posh wheels an' all :cool:

Hopefully I'll be sealing the deal on Tuesday and I'll also be having a test drive of 20" wheels so I can confirm the spec. :D :D

BTW New= pre-reg and delivery miles, so hopefully not long to wait.
I'm sure I'll have lots of Qs.

Thanks again for the warm welcome:waving:

Hi
Well so far I can't recommend Paul at Cambridge campervans enough.
To summarise the purchase:-
Couldn't be more helpful, no hard sell, very mildly disorganised - but quaintly so, knows his stuff and genuinely interested in us. Plenty of vans to look at and hire vans abailable

Now to the van...
We chose a black T28 highline as mentioned earlier..Euro 6 togo someway to futureproof it as much as poss.
Pics....
RenderedContent-4C0CECA2-0C56-44D6-B057-A06C70788201.JPG
RenderedContent-8A3783CF-88D2-472C-9BC3-1C97D63010B2.JPG
RenderedContent-99AEF37E-3F5B-47CA-8164-C3FBE8C19A07.JPG

Back