Hi all.. I have an ignition problem!

Zac L

Ignition only turns the two clicks and not the third… the crack click! It bumps but not cranking.. is it the ignition switch?
Thanks
Zac

The ignition housing is known to fail and cause this problem, I happen to have had mine fixed two days ago. £200 for the replacement part plus 3.5 hours labour so around £400 all in.

Mine was like it for 6 months, eventually snapped the key blade off from the excessive twisting pressure needed, so now I’ve also got a key that needs to be repaired too!

Oh wow! Thanks for that, was thinking it was something like the ignition control unit but I don’t suppose it would be able to physically stop the final turn. Have read of re-greasing the barrel. Will take apart tomorrow and see what’s happening down there. Thanks
Zac

If it sticky going in to the barrel or catches on position 1 or 2 then some sort of lubricant might help but I don’t know what you would use without attracting dirt.

Mine was totally smooth every time on positions 1 & 2 but was difficult and would catch on position 3 often. Initially it may have been only 1 out of 5 key turns, but then it turned in to a 50:50 gamble so I knew it was going to completely fail and let me down so I got it replaced.

Generally for locks use a dry lube, anything wet will trap dust and debris and turn into grind paste and locks have very fine tolerances to do thier job (if not they are easy to pick)

For house locks I use graphite but as that's mildly conductive it might not be wise for a lock with associated electrical switch. Some dry lubes use teflon.

Don't just hit the lock with a blast of WD40/GT85

If you don't have dry lube then a light spray of something PTFE based on the key blade and operate the lock a few times will transfer a minimal amount of wet lube.

Back