Help? Bike Rack For 4 Bikes

Zoe

Hi

I'm after a bike rack that will fit 3 bikes and one electric bike. I have a T6 with barn doors, so I gather it will have to be one on the tow bar. Can anyone recommend one and ideally so we can still open the back doors. Also do you know of any pods that will fit the bike rack when not using it for the bikes? I know I want the earth but that's me. Lol.

Thanks

Zoe. :)

I think you might struggle to find one capable of carrying the sort of weight you are looking at - there are tow ball racks capable of holding 4 bikes (e.g. Thule, Strada, etc.) but with one of your bikes being an e-bike I think you will be above the maximum weight limit, typically 45kg to 60kg.

Reactions: Zoe
Maxxraxx possibly but these don’t fit on swan neck, just normal plate type towbar, they can hinge down and away from barn doors

Weight limit might be an issue tho with the electric bike

Maxxraxx possibly but these don’t fit on swan neck, just normal plate type towbar, they can hinge down and away from barn doors

Weight limit might be an issue tho with the electric bike
I use one of these on my Defender (explorer version to clear the spare wheel) - simple design but effective. Meant to be able to take upto 80kg but I would not be happy putting that sort of weight on it, especially if it has not got the plate fitted between the ball and tow bar, and I'm not sure how 80kg plus the rack weight would equate to the max 100kg downforce on the T6 tow bar, i..e position of weight would act as more of a lever against the tow ball.

Yeh we had one for the Motorhome, used it once, still in the shed so if anybody wants it

Not keen on the cantilevered effect

Hi

I was told as long as I take the battery off the bike it shouldn't weigh anymore than a normal bike. I'll look into the weight of them all.
Ill have a look at those 2 bike racks. Thanks guys for your speedy replys.

Hi

I was told as long as I take the battery off the bike it shouldn't weigh anymore than a normal bike. I'll look into the weight of them all.
Ill have a look at those 2 bike racks. Thanks guys for your speedy replys.
Good luck - please feed back what you find and eventually purchase.

Zoe sorry I’ve just re-read your original post and noticed about storage pods

Your best bet would be a fiamma 4 bike rack

Fiamma also dona storage box for same rack when bikes not loaded

Check out fiamma website, they do a rack that is fixed to one door

B43123F4-1904-4231-A29D-09CBFDC930BE.png

Hi
I can't find a 4 bike rack only a 2?
I’m not sure there is one for barn doors - too much weight on the hinges with more than a couple of bikes. Think your initial thought with something on the tow bar is the way forward.

I have a 4 bike buzzrack - about 6 months old - that I used on my discovery. It pivots in the middle and would give some degree of opening of the doors on the back I would have thought.

BUZZ RACK Buzzwing 4 bike tilting and folding rack BRP704.

Mine is available as not used any more. Never tried it on my van though.

Edited to add - on the web site it says:

Unfortunately this carrier is not suitable for Volkswagen T5 models - the bottom of the tailgate clashes with the tow ball fitting mechanism. The Atera Strada DL3 is a great option for the T5 and even allows a top-hinged tailgate on the Transporter to open.

So guess that rules it out for you probably!!

Back