Help/advice With Vw

Lawce

Construction Site Manager
T6 Pro
Well on Saturday i dropped off my van for its first service at a VW van centre in the southwest, reported to them prior to dropping off the van that the windscreen was leaking and that the rear brakes had been grinding for the last few months. Then today they called me to say they were keeping the van tomorrow as well so auto windscreens could remove it to investigate and then the bombshell. YOUR REAR DISCS ARE CORRODED and need replacing. Under warranty I asked? NO they said.But my van has only covered 18500miles I exclaimed, sorry not under warranty he said. Do you think that's acceptable on a £32000 van I asked and what other vehicle has corroded discs at 18500 miles from new I asked? No reply then It's because it's outside he said.. I was flabbergasted and instructed him not to touch the brakes as I would be taking up the issue with VW UK. We will send you the video, he said. Good said I, I can use it as evidence. Sorry he said not covered on warranty.. Surely 18500 from new I should not have corroded discs? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Can anyone offer any advice/contact emails etc either for VW UK or higher up the VW food chain or anyone else of relevance? Thanks in advance guys:(

Corroded discs, whatever next !!!.
Ask them to explain how corrosion warrants the discs being replaced.
I can only pressune that they are so heavily corroded that they are in danger of disintegration?.
So they won't be corroded on the braking surface, which leaves the edge and the centre part of the disc, which I'll bet will probably jyst have surface rust on.
A pathetic attempt to create work I suspect.

There is another thread on this forum somewhere on the same subject.

Pete

Pretty much all discs go rusty on the exposed edges, mine were rusty when I picked it up new.
However, in my head there's a difference between surface rust and corrosion when it comes to brake discs. I'd be interested in seeing a video or picture of what VW justify as needing to change, because mine goes in for a service next Friday, and I don't fancy that phone call on a 5 month old van.

Was this somewhere in the Bristol area? Horrortage?

I don't think you will get far as brakes are considered a consumable. You may get a bit of goodwill.

Make sure you don't get the van wet as the paint will wash off and that isn't covered on warranty either.

Ok, I know I'm going to get shot to pieces for saying this but.....

The brake disc is just a piece of bare metal, as soon as it gets damp it will corrode. Leave the van parked a few days in the rain and there will be a build up of rust. On a van the brakes are designed to stop it fully laden with a tonne or so but most of the time our vans don't carry this weight so the rear brakes don't do any work, the front discs quickly polish as they do all the work, the rears don't and gradually they become pitted. It happens on cars too but to a lesser extent as they don't have to cope with such a variation in loading.

I struggle to keep the rear discs polished on my van as it is not used every day, if they have to be replaced so be it. Badly scored discs will (or should) fail an MOT.

Tin hat on :)

Had lots of vans over the years. Never had this problem with brakes. Quality of the brake disc is a reflection of the rampant cost cutting that is plaguing VW at the moment.

Judging by the link you provided scot, we are all screwed, everyone with 10k plus mileage on your 30k van had better get your corroded rear brake discs changed from cheese discs to actual quality brake discs, another VW cover up me thinks, looks like all the dealers have received the same training course. It's down to the rain, sun, salt,snow and leaves on the line, that darn weather eh? :whistle:

Well on Saturday i dropped off my van for its first service at a VW van centre in the southwest, reported to them prior to dropping off the van that the windscreen was leaking and that the rear brakes had been grinding for the last few months. Then today they called me to say they were keeping the van tomorrow as well so auto windscreens could remove it to investigate and then the bombshell. YOUR REAR DISCS ARE CORRODED and need replacing. Under warranty I asked? NO they said.But my van has only covered 18500miles I exclaimed, sorry not under warranty he said. Do you think that's acceptable on a £32000 van I asked and what other vehicle has corroded discs at 18500 miles from new I asked? No reply then It's because it's outside he said.. I was flabbergasted and instructed him not to touch the brakes as I would be taking up the issue with VW UK. We will send you the video, he said. Good said I, I can use it as evidence. Sorry he said not covered on warranty.. Surely 18500 from new I should not have corroded discs? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Can anyone offer any advice/contact emails etc either for VW UK or higher up the VW food chain or anyone else of relevance? Thanks in advance guys:(
Hiya!
Yep, we had exactly the same problem! The van is less than a year old & the rear discs are corroded!!! They told us EXACTLY the same as you! Although they did say they could Replace them at a cost of £380! And no, not on warranty either! I even got vw customer care involved, & honestly and truthfully they need training in customer services! Absolutely appalling, don’t phone back when they say they will & did nothing at all to help!
This vehicle is used every single day without question apart from 1 week when we went on holiday in the summer! We don’t live near the sea, so no reason to be corroded! I did say to the idiot of a service manager, & customer services, myself & my husband have over 59 years of driving between us & We have had cars both from brand new & used & some very well used & I have never had a vehicle with corroded discs!
It’s clearly a fault they have and they clearly don’t want to admit as much as it would be a very expensive recall in my opinion!!!! Let’s just say. We definitely won’t be spending our hard earned money on VW’s in future, that’s for sure!!!

Hiya!
Yep, we had exactly the same problem! The van is less than a year old & the rear discs are corroded!!! They told us EXACTLY the same as you! Although they did say they could Replace them at a cost of £380! And no, not on warranty either! I even got vw customer care involved, & honestly and truthfully they need training in customer services! Absolutely appalling, don’t phone back when they say they will & did nothing at all to help!
This vehicle is used every single day without question apart from 1 week when we went on holiday in the summer! We don’t live near the sea, so no reason to be corroded! I did say to the idiot of a service manager, & customer services, myself & my husband have over 59 years of driving between us & We have had cars both from brand new & used & some very well used & I have never had a vehicle with corroded discs!
It’s clearly a fault they have and they clearly don’t want to admit as much as it would be a very expensive recall in my opinion!!!! Let’s just say. We definitely won’t be spending our hard earned money on VW’s in future, that’s for sure!!!

I have the exact same problem but they told me grit between the pads and the disks.
It is a common fault as the loan van did exactly the same.
VW are shooting themselves in the foot. I have owned many VW's over the years and I was going to by a new Arteon to replace the wife BMW but since the poor service and quality I've experienced with my T6, I'll be spending my money on a different brand.

You and me both Mfwic, I thought my new VW would be as robust as my 82 golf and 84 T25, guess they have just lost all the customer focus, T6 not very user friendly, even the simple stuff like an headlight bulb they have made it so you struggle to change it on your drive let alone by the side of the road, 20 seconds on the golf. I too won't be buying another New VW van but may buy a few more old ones ;)

Ok, I know I'm going to get shot to pieces for saying this but.....

The brake disc is just a piece of bare metal, as soon as it gets damp it will corrode. Leave the van parked a few days in the rain and there will be a build up of rust. On a van the brakes are designed to stop it fully laden with a tonne or so but most of the time our vans don't carry this weight so the rear brakes don't do any work, the front discs quickly polish as they do all the work, the rears don't and gradually they become pitted. It happens on cars too but to a lesser extent as they don't have to cope with such a variation in loading.

I struggle to keep the rear discs polished on my van as it is not used every day, if they have to be replaced so be it. Badly scored discs will (or should) fail an MOT.

Tin hat on :)
I have done 50K on 1 set of front and rear pads and the original discs are fine, I always carry a lot of tools in the back or tow a caravan so the rears are always working, this is the difference I think.

Has anyone actually asked to see the discs once they've been removed by the dealer. I'd be interested to know what they're classing as corrosion. There's a a huge difference between surface oxidation and the type of corrosion that would effect the integrity of the discs ability to perform. Erosion because of grit scoring the discs and corrosion are two different things.

Have to admit, was thinking of getting Mrs DaveyB a VW Golf when her old Fiesta blew up on Monday. However. whilst I love my T6, after various dealings with VW, and reading a lot of the problems others have had with VeeDub customer services, have just been out and bought her a Volvo V40. Went and saw it, test drove, bought it and drove it away all on the same day (today). They never even quibbled when I said I wanted to take it right now, they went and told the w/s manager to find a space in the w/s and service it, as they had only had it a couple of days and hadn't even put it on the forecourt. Pretty good I thought.

Had a good look at mine a while back as it was noisy (slight grinding) when braking in reverse and the disc face looked fine but had a reasonable amount of surface corrosion on the outer edges but couldnt see any reason for the noise and it stopped after a couple weeks

I’m still in shock at £380 for new discs. What are these things made of. It’s not a 747 :mad:

@Dieseldonkey as soon as VW send me the video I will upload it, problem is they still have my van and have had it since last Saturday, they informed me they were getting auto windscreens out to take out the windscreen today but I haven't heard a dickie:sleep: still at least I'm putting mileage on their van not mine:)

Just had a quick look through etka at the disc list price on the disks
Std fronts £88 inc vat each
Larger fronts £108 inc vat
Rears £62 inc vat each

Yip. Euro Car Parts. Stick in discount code CLEAR55 and rears discs can be yours for £54.26. That's for a pair!!! There's some well known quality brands there too if you want to pay a little more. (Used my reg on a vehicle search. T32)

Screenshot_20180308-220403.png

Screenshot_20180308-220647.png

Back