Hello! Looking to buy a T6 to convert into a camper

James-78

Hello,
Just joined and wanting to buy my first Transporter. Looking at buying a T6 to get converted into a camper van for holidays with our two small kids. I can't afford brand new and prices seem to have sky-rocketed so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about getting a decent van second-hand. I've read that condition is more important more than miles, but how to judge that? Ideally I'd like a t30/32 LWB with a single back door and bluemotion. ISOfix seats would also be a priority. It wouldn't have to be a Komb ivan as I'd plan to get that sorted in the conversion. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Thanks for any comments, it'd be really appreciated!
James

There’s a camper just come up for sale at Don Amotts near Derby. It’s not on their website yet but it’s on their Facebook page, based on a T5.1 2015 Camperking. The prices are pretty strong even for a 5 year old van. Just a thought.

What’s your budget? To get the best deal I would always recommend buying a van and getting it converted to your exact standards and wants. Then you are not paying for something you don’t want.

What’s your budget? To get the best deal I would always recommend buying a van and getting it converted to your exact standards and wants. Then you are not paying for something you don’t want.
That’s the route I went down and the cost is now eye watering although I went with a new van because I wanted options on the van as well.

I was more thinking of a list of things I should look for when buying a recent T6, for instance, is noise from the clutch expected, where to check for corrosion?

I can totally appreciate how difficult it is to get the right van but hang in there you will enjoy it. Buy the best you can sensibly afford as thanks to this forum you will find plenty more to spend on:).

One thing I would say is to live with the van for a little time and see what you exactly want from it. They are so versatile and what suits you will be slightly different to others.

If you are a newbie to van camping I would say that a ready converted van is the best route. Until you are a little experienced it may be difficult to have any idea on what you actually want.

If you do decide to convert a van be aware that it is not something that can be done in a month or two. I have recently bought a van and it took me five months to find one. First you need to decide if to buy a van or a Kombi. If you are buying a Kombi you will probably be buying parts that you will not actually need but may have a higher specification than most standard vans. A tailgate rather than barn doors and a six speed gearbox come to mind.

So your first task is to compile two lists. One to decide what specification van you require and one for what you think that you will require in a conversion.

Last edited:
if your in the NW Storm have some nice base vans. For conversions I recommend absolute camper conversions in Burnley.

Beg & borrow to buy a California although that would be SWB. If you are really unlucky you might lose about 37p after a couple of years enjoying it. I am very biased of course.

Thought I’d mention that Central Garage at Warmsworth traffic lights in Donny had 4 late model Transporters up for sale when I went past, two of them were 6.1s and one was a 6. Couldn’t see what varian they were but the 6.1s were up at £25k and the 6 at £20k. No idea of specs I’m afraid.

Beg & borrow to buy a California although that would be SWB. If you are really unlucky you might lose about 37p after a couple of years enjoying it. I am very biased of course.
That’s one of the reasons we got a Cali!

Back