Hello from Northern Ireland

Hello everyone

After driving Passats for 16 years I decided to buy a T6 workvan with 120k on the clock with the intention of converting to a camper.

My wife is not happy, my children are not impressed. In my defence I always wanted to do this, the van is clean with FSH and a nice new van is out of my budget.

I have had a look at several threads and you lot seem to know your stuff, looking forward to the experience.

Gary

View attachment 155891

View attachment 155892

View attachment 155893

View attachment 155894
They are all WRONG! Your wife will love the higher driving position because she can look into everyone's gardens and the kids will love throwing bikes, surfboards etc. etc. etc in the back! :grin bounce:

I'm a cheapskate and have the Travelinlite splitter but seeing yours I now have splitter envy....I see you're from Lisburn.....where do you park it? ;)
That’s the Maxton splitter, I’ve never had a problem with the height of it, been all over the uk and France on and off ferry’s.

That’s the Maxton splitter, I’ve never had a problem with the height of it, been all over the uk and France on and off ferry’s.
This is the Travelinlite one… similar to the Maxton V1 I think but I like the smaller divider struts along the front of yours. Don’t think anyone at home would be overly happy about me spending another £130 or so, so it’ll have to stay as it is!!! To be honest the van would look better lowered but I like the reassurance of the height on any minor mountain tracks we go up… maybe I need air ride!!!!6D52BF63-3342-4DC4-9ADC-CEC35D1D6A51.jpeg.

This is the Travelinlite one… similar to the Maxton V1 I think but I like the smaller divider struts along the front of yours. Don’t think anyone at home would be overly happy about me spending another £130 or so, so it’ll have to stay as it is!!! To be honest the van would look better lowered but I like the reassurance of the height on any minor mountain tracks we go up… maybe I need air ride!!!!View attachment 158167.
Think I want side bars now too.... :eek:

This is the Travelinlite one… similar to the Maxton V1 I think but I like the smaller divider struts along the front of yours. Don’t think anyone at home would be overly happy about me spending another £130 or so, so it’ll have to stay as it is!!! To be honest the van would look better lowered but I like the reassurance of the height on any minor mountain tracks we go up… maybe I need air ride!!!!View attachment 158167.
When the ride is balanced (front to back) and the suspension is right, air won’t help a lot! However, getting the balance and suspension right is helluva lot cheaper!

Air ride would be class but I can never justify the price of it, maybe one day
Me too….it would be super cool but I can never imagine shelling out the cash for it at the end of the day. I don’t mind the current suspension but every type of suspension comes at some kind of compromise whether it be look, clearance, ride, cost etc. so I’m just gonna stick with what I’ve got until this van dies! Audi Allroad was brilliant but replacing airbags, saggy corners and so on put me off for life!

OK Norn Iron people… I’ve got a bit of an idea here…. Anyone want to do a bit of a cruise in the near future, let’s say start of July (avoiding the obvious dates) when the weather may be ok…. nothing too mad, just a few hours on a Saturday like for example, meet up at somewhere fairly central like Sprucefield car park, head in convoy to a car park near the big cranes for some mood group van photography LOL then park up somewhere where there’s a good coffee van and hang out for a bit and talk vans? If that works then we could plan something more extravagant like a north coast voyage or possibly even a camping weekend like our buddies across the water do?

Any interest then I’ll come up with some date suggestions and firmer locations…

OK Norn Iron people… I’ve got a bit of an idea here…. Anyone want to do a bit of a cruise in the near future, let’s say start of July (avoiding the obvious dates) when the weather may be ok…. nothing too mad, just a few hours on a Saturday like for example, meet up at somewhere fairly central like Sprucefield car park, head in convoy to a car park near the big cranes for some mood group van photography LOL then park up somewhere where there’s a good coffee van and hang out for a bit and talk vans? If that works then we could plan something more extravagant like a north coast voyage or possibly even a camping weekend like our buddies across the water do?

Any interest then I’ll come up with some date suggestions and firmer locations…
Good idea, post it up here and there’s a Facebook page T4/T5/T6/Caddy Northern Ireland Meets they regularly meet up around the country, next ones in June. C705AA07-D60D-4547-995F-3FAC66EF585F.jpeg

Hi Folks, just thought I'd say hello as well. I'm based in Donaghcloney, unfortunately no T6 working on other van project at minute in the interim!

In Spain now, but from Belfast, living in Carrickfergus. Will be back home for a short stay with "LadyBug" our camper. Hello everyone.
IMG_1949.jpeg
Spanish converted camper van in 2016. Changed from a motorhome a few years back as wife now drives the camper van more than she ever did the motorhome and parking in the tiny villages around Europe is so so easy now.

What’s the project
'Project' may be bit far fetched. I've a lwb transit custom I'm getting converted into kombi. Lined, carpeted, rear seats (like hens teeth just now), electrics, fiamma awning, glass all round, alloys, coilovers, and few other things! Couldn't hold off for a T6 any longer within budget, then loads appear here!

Last edited:
So team... Has anyone had the pleasure of sorting out a pallet uplift from mainland GB and delivery to Northern Ireland? What a nightmare, will let u know in a week how things have gone!

So team... Has anyone had the pleasure of sorting out a pallet uplift from mainland GB and delivery to Northern Ireland? What a nightmare, will let u know in a week how things have gone!
I was quoted £375 delivery for pre-cut ply. Needless to say I made alternative arrangements.

I was quoted £375 delivery for pre-cut ply. Needless to say I made alternative arrangements.
Madness isn't it. I've paid £307 for a half pallet weight approx 300kg....delivery mainland GB foc! And spent prob a good few hours arranging, next time be tempted to use a broker!

TorqueTronix

Hi

After realising the fitting of sidebars and roof bars plus windows don't make the van go any better

I took the van up to Ballymena to TorqueTronix and wow what a difference.

From 102 to 170 bhp, felt like a different van on the way home. These guys were recommended to me and I know 4 or 5 within my workplace who have used them.

I had read comments suggesting 102 wasn't enough power and though that's not something I agree with the extra poke is welcome.

Back