Height adjust Steering Wheel

conrad

Hello,

First Time post.

erm - my t6 - Gen 6 caravelle 204 - no mods yet

Has anybody notice that the steering wheel adjustment does not go low enough?

I would not say I'm that tall at 5.10 but, i have the seat as low as it will go and the seat as far forward as is comfortable and yet my hands cannot reach ten to two I'm more like twenty to five, i asked at the dealer but drew a blank phoned steering control people in and they say they just fit steering control based on an individual needs and the money starts at £1000.

So I guess my question really is; has anybody made any steering wheel height modifications? and was it a success?

tried to look using the search function but just found a picture of a mexican steering wheel cover or people exchanging the steering wheel for a better VW one .

ta

I do advanced driving courses every so often and the last two have both emphasised that the ten-to-two grip should be confined to the history books. Quarter to three is what they're preaching now, gives better control and stops you're arms breaking if an airbag goes off. The last guy, who was a TPAC instructor said the closer to the top of the wheel both hands go, the less he'd think of the driver, and if they touched you shouldn't be on the road :D Since then I've seen so many people (usually women in 4x4s) holding the top of the wheel with both hands together.

But yeah, the steering wheel is the old fashioned bu$ driver style, you just have to live with it

Funny how things change.
My first Hendon car course insisted on hands being 10-2 OR 20 -8

Soon after it became 10-2 and remained that way for @ 30 years.

So it's different now? Even though steering wheels are still round ish and have power steering :speechless: :whistle:

Funny how things change.
My first Hendon car course insisted on hands being 10-2 OR 20 -8

Soon after it became 10-2 and remained that way for @ 30 years.

So it's different now? Even though steering wheels are still round ish and have power steering :speechless: :whistle:

20 to 8 position is very relaxing especially with arm rests and at everyday speeds. But for what its worth, its no good for progressive or performance driving. Police are taught to pull the steering on and also to pull it back off again from the 10 to 2 position, sliding their hands up the wheel to pull the steering back to centre. At high speeds, pushing the wheel is a no no. Its not a good technique for promoting vehicle stability. Notice where race/rally drivers hold the wheel, for this same reason, albeit they tend not to feed the wheel with quick racks.

20/8 for punting about then 10/2 when 'on the blue' worked for me.
And it never stopped me getting my triple 1

Rally drivers often cross hands, now that's a police 'No no'

;)

20/8 for punting about then 10/2 when 'on the blue' worked for me.
And it never stopped me getting my triple 1

Rally drivers often cross hands, now that's a police 'No no'

;)
Racing drivers do the same, it's so they always know where straight ahead is I'm told.

In the van I tend to hold at 20 to 8 unless I lean forward for a stretch on a long journey or if I'm in town type driving or in a car, then I'll move up to 10 to 2

Back